• 3(current)
Announcing new skin, AppTV (xTV-SAF reboot)
(2015-11-12, 01:41)agsnowdon Wrote: That's fine. Now I know what code to change it only a 2 min job. I will have to install the skin on my iPad to see why you have done this as it does look odd on my TV. Do you have it on a tv? Do you think it looks odd?
yes have it on the main TV, I think you have misunderstood the issue. The skin gives you the option to use custom thumbnails (icons), in the case of the the Icon home menu these icons need to be a 16:9 aspect ratio or they will look strange. If you don't specify an icon file to use, the skin uses the favourites default icon (whatever aspect ratio that may be). Unfortunately the Kodi skin engine does not allow the skin writer to specify ( or even check) what aspect ratio the image file being pulled in is. Now sometimes when you use stretch instead of keep as an aspect ratio tag the result looks fine, but if you pull in as poster type image the result is just plain awful. Thus the reason why I have fixed the issue by specifying keep as an aspect ratio and offering the user the opportunity to specify a image file to use.

Quote:Can I a another question please. The black background behind the icons, can this be changed to an image a bit like having a wallpaper of is it a line of code that tells it what colour to be? If it's a line of code is like to change the colour so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.
no, actually it's a image file that is stored in the skins main textures.xbt file. If you look at the top of the Includes_IconHome.xml file, you will see the following line
PHP Code:
            <texture>background-iconhome.png</texture
Change that to whatever file you want, but be warned it will probably look a bit strange as the icons are shown on the main screen with the shelf rendered on top of the background image. When you scroll down past the second line, the shelf slides up out of the way and the icons then slide to the top of the screen. So what might look ok when the icons are displayed at the top of the screen might look a bit weird when only two rows of icons are displayed with the shelf image (and vice versa). Plain backgrounds will look fine, anything that relies on icon positions probably will look off.

You need to remember, first and foremost I am trying to make the skin look as close to the AppleTV interfaces ( yep, plural, there are three home menu types to choose from). So I have had to make compromises to make this happen as seamless as possible. The main compromise is because I don't want to have three completely different sets of skin settings for each of the home menus, so sometimes a setting has to do double (or even triple) duty, so I do the best I can with the setting. If you start to go off of my beaten path a bit, things can get a bit hinky.

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Hi,

Any plans to change the design to the new apple tv design?
(2015-11-21, 14:17)zukove Wrote: Hi,

Any plans to change the design to the new apple tv design?
zukove,

don't have a AppleTV gen4 and have not seen much on the UI as yet. But I am definitely planning a lighter coloured theme for the skin, so look will be able to follow latest Apple GUI a bit closer. As to the parallax icon look on the home screen, not sure how to implement this without it serverly impacting performance, but will see what I can manage. I will not compromise usability of Kodi just for the sake of eye candy, but will always try to follow the spirit of the Apple interface as close as I can.

That said probably something for the mid to long term, short term goal if to make skin Jarvis compliant (not too far away now)

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

New release 1.3.0 for Jarvis Kodi has now be submitted and accepted to the main repo (should appear soon). See first post for changelog of this release.

Main features for this release include.
  • Changes require to make skin compatible with Kodi Jarvis.
  • Minor bug fixes.
  • Add support to skin for image resource loader script, weather fanart and icons now handled by this script.
  • Changes to now playing media shown on Horizontal and Icon home menu. Now shown as a Icon on shelf,
    as a result I can now show an additional menu item on the Horizontal Home menu.
  • In addition to Jarvis requirements to show new AudioDSP settings and manager dialogs have included the
    skin files for the AudioDSP addons as well.
  • Add and update a number of skin image files.
  • Simplified background image handling due to the use of skin.helper script.

Remember bugs and feature requests to this sub forum.

Enjoy
Wyrm (AppTV)

Hello, this is a pretty noob question... is there a way to add addon's into the custom favourite shortcuts?

Do I have to fav the addon and then add it in; or is there a way to directly add them that I am missing :S

Thanks!
(2015-12-21, 18:20)danial.aw Wrote: Hello, this is a pretty noob question... is there a way to add addon's into the custom favourite shortcuts?

Do I have to fav the addon and then add it in; or is there a way to directly add them that I am missing :S

Thanks!
Daniel.aw,

Nope unless someone can point me to a way to directly add things in the same manner that I do using the favourites script, you have to make your addon(or any other thing that you can make a favourite of) a favourite and then add it to the menus via my skin settings menu. Having said that you just gave me an idea of how to bypass having to go to the skin settings menus after making something a favourite. It will take a bit of work and I'm not sure if it is even currently possible, but I will add it to my todo list to investigate. Either way not likely to happen in the short term.

Wyrm (AppTV)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to the skin.

Due to a Kodi repo problem, my skin included themes have not been correctly included in the last couple of releases. The problem has now been resolved but unfortunately I need to bump the version number to help correct the issue. The new version has been accepted into the repo and should appear in the next 24 hours.

There is a added bonus, I have fixed a number of minor issues with the skin. Also there is now another new included theme called "FlatLite" which is the start of a AppleTV4 esq theme for the skin. There will need to be a bit more work to the skin to improve the theme, but it is a reasonable start in the right direction.

I will be away for a couple of weeks just after Christmas for a family camping holiday, so I will not be available for support questions for a couple of weeks starting now.

Enjoy and seasons greetings
Wyrm (AppTV)

Just discovered this skin having tried lots. It's by far the best I've seen - clean, lightweight and intuitive without sacrificing any of the advanced features missing from other lightweight skins such as Amber. I particularly like the emphasis on Favourites and the ability to put Favourite icons on the home screen desktop allowing the user to go directly to any add-on or that part of an add-on normally used. The display options in the add-ons such as coverflow are great.

Well done and thanks for the great work.
(2015-12-21, 18:20)danial.aw Wrote: Hello, this is a pretty noob question... is there a way to add addon's into the custom favourite shortcuts?

Thanks!
danial.aw and everyone else,

This has not made my github account just yet as I am still sorting out some minor issues, BUT, I now allow the adding to home shortcuts via the context menu. So the method I mentioned previously of making an item a favourite and then navigating thru to the skins "custom favourites" settings menu (now renamed "home shortcuts") is not the only way to achive a custom favourite shortcut.

New way of achieving the same thing would be to open the context menu and select "add to home menu". Skin will then open the "home shortcuts" menu and ask you to click on a home menu slot to assign the shortcut to. Skin will then send you back to the place you originally selected the item from when you leave the "home shortcut" menu.

A big thank you to danial.aw for triggering the idea that lead to this feature.

Wyrm (AppTV)

(2016-01-21, 02:58)wyrm Wrote:

Thanks!
danial.aw and everyone else,

This has not made my github account just yet as I am still sorting out some minor issues, BUT, I now allow the adding to home shortcuts via the context menu. So the method I mentioned previously of making an item a favourite and then navigating thru to the skins "custom favourites" settings menu (now renamed "home shortcuts") is not the only way to achive a custom favourite shortcut.

New way of achieving the same thing would be to open the context menu and select "add to home menu". Skin will then open the "home shortcuts" menu and ask you to click on a home menu slot to assign the shortcut to. Skin will then send you back to the place you originally selected the item from when you leave the "home shortcut" menu.

A big thank you to danial.aw for triggering the idea that lead to this feature.

Wyrm (AppTV)

no problem at all! glad to hear the new feature definitely will make it more user friendly Smile
Quote:This has not made my github account just yet as I am still sorting out some minor issues, BUT, I now allow the adding to home shortcuts via the context menu. So the method I mentioned previously of making an item a favourite and then navigating thru to the skins "custom favourites" settings menu (now renamed "home shortcuts") is not the only way to achive a custom favourite shortcut.

Is now been uploaded to my github account. Pretty sure it is working as intended, but if anyone cares to take it for a spin and kick the tyres for me it would be appreciated.

Wyrm (AppTV)

New release 1.3.5 for Jarvis Kodi has now be submitted and accepted to the main repo (should appear soon).
  • Added new method to assign home menu shortcuts, top menu item in context menu "assign to home menu". This is in addition to assigning a favourite and then assigning the favourite to home menu screen. Should be quicker as user no longer needs to leave where the shortcut is located to go to skin settings menu.
  • Due to changes in how background fanarts are handled with the skin helper script, I have made background fanarts ON the default option for backgrounds. As there is next to no difference in memory usage or speed it makes no sense to leave this off. Can still be turned off in skin settings menu.
  • Have upper the image preload from 2 to 4, as a result most library views should be noticeable quicker.
  • Extended usage of hidden screen focused controls indicator to most of the rest of the skin. Shows user if there is a hidden settings menu and/or scrollbars available for the screen.
  • Continue to standarise the look and layout of various skin elements. A number of script screens now more closely follow the look and feel of default skin elements. In particular all of the Global search info screens now match the look of the skins video info screen.
  • Change a number of dialog layouts to look more like dialogs and not screens as they previously were. In particular the Addons setting screen now looks like a dialog and not a screen as the behaviour of this dialog is different to the skin and Kodi settings screens, so this change should clue the user to the difference.
  • Numerous code cleanups. The Video and Music views in particular have seen a lot of work and should look much cleaner. With changes to Jarvis image caching, poster and cover images look much clearer.
Well guys, its been a little while, but here's the new version. It may not look that big from the change list above, but there has been a lot of changes behind the scenes that hopefully make the experience quicker and more intuitive. I would urge people to take a good look around (check the "Screen Settings" menus in particular) as I have added a few goodies as requested in the last few forum posts.

Unfortunately I have just noticed that one of the surprises I had for everyone has ended up on the cutting room floor by mistake. The Screen Settings menu has a couple of new items (Studio icons and Genre icons) in the Video menu and (Genre icons) in the Music menu. The Video menu changes don't do anything as I lost the code when I had problems with my Github client just before I made the skin push to the Kodi repo. Also the Music changes only work for "List" and "Coverflow" views due to a bug in Kodi. I hope to see this return (and cover ALL of the view types) in the next version.

As always, have fun with the new version and remember to report any problems or feature requests in this thread.

Wyrm (AppTV)

Hey, been using your awesome skin for a few weeks now, been having trouble resumeing video in full screen after I put it into the background.

I went through the threads and apparently you press Tab if you have a keyboard, but I'm using it on Fire TV, no keyboard. Tried pressing every combination of buttons I can think of. Tried everything in OSD Controls, and still can't figure it out.
(2016-03-02, 23:54)CarsonGallo Wrote: Hey, been using your awesome skin for a few weeks now, been having trouble resumeing video in full screen after I put it into the background.

I went through the threads and apparently you press Tab if you have a keyboard, but I'm using it on Fire TV, no keyboard. Tried pressing every combination of buttons I can think of. Tried everything in OSD Controls, and still can't figure it out.
CarsonGallo,

If you look in the keymap file for remotes (remote.xml, located in Kodi/system/keymaps directory on you system you can see what key each command is set to). The command to change back to full screen is strangely called "Fullscreen" and in the remote.xml file I looked at, its assigned to the "display" button. There is an addon called "Keymap Editor" available in the main Kodi addons repo that will allow you to change the buttons that commands are assigned to if you feel that you need to change key assignments.

To those people using a mouse or touch I have placed a invisible button over the cover art in the playercontrols dialog that will take you to the fullscreen video/visualisation screens. I have also just added this to the fullscreen video/visualisation screens info displays to take you back to the menu screens. Is also now available on the now playing covers/video thumbnails, so for mouse/touch you can jump between the screens in this way. I missed a couple of places where this was meant to be working in version 1.3.5, so it will appear in 1.3.x when that is release down the track. As to Keyboard or remote usage, just check what the appropriate keymap entry is for this function to jump between the screens.

Hope that helps.
Wyrm (AppTV)

I downloaded the Add-On you suggested, and found the keymap setting, but no matter what assignments of key mappings I did, I could never get it to resume full screen mode. I remembered to save the settings, tried restarding Kodi and everything, could never get it to work. I think you should add a button to the OSD Controls for your next update that we can select and would bring us back to full screen mode.

(2016-03-03, 17:26)wyrm Wrote:
(2016-03-02, 23:54)CarsonGallo Wrote: Hey, been using your awesome skin for a few weeks now, been having trouble resumeing video in full screen after I put it into the background.

CarsonGallo,

If you look in the keymap file for remotes (remote.xml, located in Kodi/system/keymaps directory on you system you can see what key each command is set to). The command to change back to full screen is strangely called "Fullscreen" and in the remote.xml file I looked at, its assigned to the "display" button. There is an addon called "Keymap Editor" available in the main Kodi addons repo that will allow you to change the buttons that commands are assigned to if you feel that you need to change key assignments.

To those people using a mouse or touch I have placed a invisible button over the cover art in the playercontrols dialog that will take you to the fullscreen video/visualisation screens. I have also just added this to the fullscreen video/visualisation screens info displays to take you back to the menu screens. Is also now available on the now playing covers/video thumbnails, so for mouse/touch you can jump between the screens in this way. I missed a couple of places where this was meant to be working in version 1.3.5, so it will appear in 1.3.x when that is release down the track. As to Keyboard or remote usage, just check what the appropriate keymap entry is for this function to jump between the screens.

Hope that helps.
Wyrm (AppTV)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Announcing new skin, AppTV (xTV-SAF reboot)1