Win XBMC 13.2 - Enable Subtitles will not stay on for some VIDEO_TS backups
There were a few threads on problems using external subtitles with DVD ISOs or VIDEO_TS back in May but there were no answers, so I'm starting a new one in case someone has figured out a solution since then but not posted.

All my DVD's are backed up in the original file format (VIDEO_TS).

Some do not have subtitles. A few have subtitles (french and spanish) but not in english.

The default for all videos has been previously set to "Enable subtitles" = on using the "Audio and Subtitles settings" XBMC menu.

I have VIDEO_TS.en.srt files for all DVD backups that have no english subtitles. These files can be edited and visually synced to the movie using the program Subtitle Edit.

The DVD backups with non-english subtitles have "enable subtitles" already turned on (as one would expect) and I can browse for subtitle and load the srt file for those movies (the menu disappears and the subtitles appear on the screen). The external sub works for the whole movie. Running Scared [1986] is an example.

However, when a DVD backup with no original subs is played, the "enable subtitles" option is OFF when the menu is first invoked. It can be clicked-on and external subs can be browsed for and loaded...but, when the menu disappears, the subs never display. When the menu is re-opened, the external subtitle is now listed under the "subtitle" line (it originally said "none") but the "Enable subtitles" button has turned itself OFF. The radio button can be clicked back on (so it turns blue) but no subs are ever displayed. If characters are speaking when the radio button is clicked back on, text appears for a fraction of a second only. Every time the Audio and Subtitles settings menu is invoked the Enable subtitles has turned itself off. Hamburger Hill [1987] is an example.

The workaround mentioned in one thread was to decode and convert to MKV (or something else).

I know that would work (they were all mkv's prior to November 2012), but I cannot decode and convert to another container due to digital lock legislation in my country.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Wapitikev
Just installed 14.1 and the error continues unchanged from 13.2...with one minor colour-change to report...after it is manually loaded, the external sub is shown (as before) but is grey instead of white (text was white in 13.2).

A bit of further investigation, for BLU-ray backups (in their original file structure) that have no subtitles on-board, the Enable Subtitles button is on when the movie plays (unlike for the VIDEO_TS) where it is off and cannot be turned on. When an external sub is loaded, it is also listed in grey, so the color change seems just cosmetic to 14.1

Guess it's time to delve into the logs.

I'll report back if I find anything.

-Wapitikev
No warnings or errors...nothing looks different between the ones with french subs that work when you load external subs and the ones with no subs that don't display external subs properly. I'm a novice at reading the debug level, but nothing in there looks too strange either. Guess it's down to bug report time.

-Wapitikev

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 13.2 - Enable Subtitles will not stay on for some VIDEO_TS backups0