Ouya, Chromecast or Amazon TV
Hi
My Zotac Ion which has served me well for many years has died.
As a stop gap till i build a new unit i am thinking either a Chromecast or Ouya.
I have all my files on a micro server with a homeplugs to my sitting room.
I have a full surround sound system.
Both have their merits as like the emulators available for the Ouya to play some old school games.
Will both give surround sound, plugged into my Denon ACR-2000 amp.

Also looking at the amazon TV unit.

As suggestions as don't want to spend too much.
Fire TV, no question.
Sure you don't mean Chrome"box"?

I would only slightly consider (and I stress slightly) the Fire TV if your viewing interests are strongly tied to Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. If not, the Chromebox (or the Zotac ZBOX B1320, however in my experience Zotac ZBOX hardware hasn't been the most reliable in terms of longevity) is the best bang for the buck.

This may sound ignorant, but I have no idea why anyone would consider ARM based boxes for their HTPC KODI setup. x86 is cheap enough these days. ARM is just not there yet.
(2015-01-09, 16:19)onizuka Wrote: Sure you don't mean Chrome"box"?

I would only slightly consider (and I stress slightly) the Fire TV if your viewing interests are strongly tied to Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. If not, the Chromebox (or the Zotac ZBOX B1320, however in my experience Zotac ZBOX hardware hasn't been the most reliable in terms of longevity) is the best bang for the buck.

This may sound ignorant, but I have no idea why anyone would consider ARM based boxes for their HTPC KODI setup. x86 is cheap enough these days. ARM is just not there yet.

Power consumption, ease of use of other apps are the two big reasons.

Fire TV works excellently and would be my choice for a cheap and easy solution
(2015-01-09, 16:19)onizuka Wrote: This may sound ignorant, but I have no idea why anyone would consider ARM based boxes for their HTPC KODI setup. x86 is cheap enough these days. ARM is just not there yet.

Normally I would agree with you but the OP needs something cheaper to get by for now and the FTV works very well with Kodi.
I'm going to get the Amazon TV. It's just a stop gap till I investigate what htpc I'm going to build as want it to do a lot.
Thanks for the advice.
Except for changing refresh rates, the firetv really is a perfect kodi device.
Just this past December got the AFTV and love it! Running Kodi.

HTPC long gone! Sold!
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2015-01-10, 02:22)rodalpho Wrote: Except for changing refresh rates, the firetv really is a perfect kodi device.

Can u explain more, never heard about this
FTV doesn't do 23.976, 24 or 59.940.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
And what does that mean. What I'm asking is what affect it has as all my media is stored locally and done stream much is Internet is terrible where I live. In the countryside
It means most movies that are encoded with 23.976 frames per second (fps) aka 24p - video will be sent to the 60Hz TV and undergo a technique called a 3:2 pulldown.
Some people may notice very slight juddering of video as the camera pans left and right in a video scene.
Most do not or even care. Modern TV's do a good job.

Basically the Fire TV is missing some video sync modes when sending content to the TV.
For locally and internet streamed video this will not be an issue.

AMAZON FIRE TV = THE BEST OF THE BEST!
Thanks for sharing the knowledge Wrxtasy.
Going to order an Amazon TV
Thanks for the advice
Yep. I had it disabled for years and never noticed-- it's only noticeable in smooth pans from one side of the screen to another.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ouya, Chromecast or Amazon TV0