Kodi intended usage?
The "fully loaded" part is only the installation of the piracy related addons by the seller. Yes, these addons access shady internet links that are actively pirating stations, channels, movies, whatever. These channels will eventually break, have bandwidth issues, or be shut down. Then the buyers of the box come here and ask why their pirated addon is no longer working.
(2015-01-15, 14:53)patseguin Wrote: I have friends buying this Matricom G-Box and they seem to advertise it as a streaming player which is fine. However, people on Fascebook seem to think when they get this they are getting free preimiums like HBO, sports, TV shows, PPV. I posted in a thread of theirs that people have to realize that they provide their own media and that Kodi isn't intended to provide free stuff. People are stating they ordered the box "fully loaded" whatever that means and think they are getting all kinds of free media. They all see to think it is a box like Roku or Fire TV. Maybe I am missing something...

For some bizarre reason a lots of people seem to think as long as you are streaming something it's not illegal.

OK as a user you're not likely to suffer any legal consequences from the use illegal movie streaming sources as it's the act of distribution without authorisation that's illegal in most countries copyright laws, hence it's the server operators that the MPAA etc go after. However the add-ons using these illegal streaming sources can easily become broken as links, servers etc get taken down due to legal action or move in an attempt to stay ahead of legal action.

Part of the reason for the name change was so we could have a name that can be trademarked so we can control it's usage, and as a consequence we've already started to get ebay etc to take down listings for these "fully loaded" boxes if they are using the Kodi name.
(2015-01-15, 16:50)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-01-15, 14:53)patseguin Wrote: I have friends buying this Matricom G-Box and they seem to advertise it as a streaming player which is fine. However, people on Fascebook seem to think when they get this they are getting free preimiums like HBO, sports, TV shows, PPV. I posted in a thread of theirs that people have to realize that they provide their own media and that Kodi isn't intended to provide free stuff. People are stating they ordered the box "fully loaded" whatever that means and think they are getting all kinds of free media. They all see to think it is a box like Roku or Fire TV. Maybe I am missing something...

For some bizarre reason a lots of people seem to think as long as you are streaming something it's not illegal.

OK as a user you're not likely to suffer any legal consequences from the use illegal movie streaming sources as it's the act of distribution without authorisation that's illegal in most countries copyright laws, hence it's the server operators that the MPAA etc go after. However the add-ons using these illegal streaming sources can easily become broken as links, servers etc get taken down due to legal action or move in an attempt to stay ahead of legal action.

Part of the reason for the name change was so we could have a name that can be trademarked so we can control it's usage, and as a consequence we've already started to get ebay etc to take down listings for these "fully loaded" boxes if they are using the Kodi name.

Yeah I think these set top companies mislead consumers into thinking they are getting free and legal tv and movies. A Facebook friend said he is buying one of these and when I asked him what he would use to rip his discs, he had no clue what I was talking about.

I'm glad that you trademarked the Kodi name. This company Matricom advertises it as an XBMC/Kodi box which is fine but the fact that they load it with addons to provide pirated content is very shady.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Since a friend of mine "liked" Matricom on Facebook I am always seeing posts by them. They blatantly advertise it as a box that provide "free unlimited movies and TV". The people that buy it either rave about the free stuff, don't know what to do with it when they get it, or complain that the pirate movie addons stop working. I find it extremely irritating that these people use the Kodi name because they are making it synonymous with pirate media and not a legitimate powerful media player like it is. I got to the point where when I see people posting about all their free stuff with the "fully loaded" box, I gave to reply and tell them that Kodi is a media player for your media and that those addons are illegal sources and they stop working.

I'd recommend that someone on the Kodi team contact Matricom and request that they stop using the XBMC/Kodi name. All they are doing is giving people the impression that Kodi is some kind of seedy software for stealing media.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4

You are not missing something. I am on a VW forum and there are people on it that have bought either pre-configured Raspberry PIs or Android boxes. They are breaking left, right and centre. These people get most uppity when I refuse to fix their broken addons. They think that because they have purchased a product they have a right to watch all this content for free. The problem lies firmly at the feet of eBay and other selling sites as they are allowing the vendors to falsely advertise these boxes and sell them with preloaded addons.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-01-26, 09:36)speedwell68 Wrote:

You are not missing something. I am on a VW forum and there are people on it that have bought either pre-configured Raspberry PIs or Android boxes. They are breaking left, right and centre. These people get most uppity when I refuse to fix their broken addons. They think that because they have purchased a product they have a right to watch all this content for free. The problem lies firmly at the feet of eBay and other selling sites as they are allowing the vendors to falsely advertise these boxes and sell them with preloaded addons.

Yep but you can only blame the resellers so much. The manufacturer needs to be held accountable for selling hardware specifically aimed at streaming pirated material. I wish companies like Matricom could be forced to stop using the Kodi name or even have to be licensed to sell hardware with Kodi software.
(2015-01-26, 14:25)patseguin Wrote:
(2015-01-26, 09:36)speedwell68 Wrote:

Yep but you can only blame the resellers so much. The manufacturer needs to be held accountable for selling hardware specifically aimed at streaming pirated material. I wish companies like Matricom could be forced to stop using the Kodi name or even have to be licensed to sell hardware with Kodi software.

I don't see the manufacturers to be at fault. None of these boxes come preinstalled with piracy addons from the manufacturer, in the same was Kodi isn't preinstallled with piracy addons.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-01-26, 15:04)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-01-26, 14:25)patseguin Wrote:
(2015-01-26, 09:36)speedwell68 Wrote: You are not missing something. I am on a VW forum and there are people on it that have bought either pre-configured Raspberry PIs or Android boxes. They are breaking left, right and centre. These people get most uppity when I refuse to fix their broken addons. They think that because they have purchased a product they have a right to watch all this content for free. The problem lies firmly at the feet of eBay and other selling sites as they are allowing the vendors to falsely advertise these boxes and sell them with preloaded addons.

I don't see the manufacturers to be at fault. None of these boxes come preinstalled with piracy addons from the manufacturer, in the same was Kodi isn't preinstallled with piracy addons.

II guess I can't argue that point since I haven't bought one of the boxes. However, users says they get the box "fully loaded" which is with piracy addons. They also advertise Kodi and unlimited free movies and TV. To me that is false advertising and harmful to Kodi's reputation. People will equate Kodi with piracy instead of the brilliant media player that it is. That would be like a company called Acme that sells cable boxes that unscramble premium channels advertising all free channels. People will perceive the Acme product as something which offers illegal programming. I just think that the devs should try and excercise some control, if possible, over how companies implement and advertise Kodi software. For example, have a list of rules for being a Kodi reseller like not providing it with addons, not advertising free media, etc.
IMO to say kodi/xbmc isn't at least partly about piracy does a great injustice to a long and distinguished past.
While I understand the want, and need, to move away from that past now Kodi is legit to pretend that is not the case is revisionism at best.

We all had XBMC on our hacked xboxes for nefarious reasons. Anyone saying different is a liar.

The world has moved on now, there are services out there that are making piracy less and less worthwhile. But in the same way that those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it, not acknowledging your dark past leaves you a with a long shadow in the new light.

Intention is a loaded word.
(2015-01-26, 21:02)Madmuhfuh Wrote: We all had XBMC on our hacked xboxes for nefarious reasons. Anyone saying different is a liar.

I actually first got into XBMC/Kodi in 2007 to use as a reciever for a closed circuit TV system for an anime con. We had cameras set up in the main events hall and fed the video over wifi and LAN to remote locations powered by classic Xbox's running XBMC. XBMC was pointed out to me after I got really frustrated trying to get Xbuntu and VLC to run nicely. XBMC offered a better solution.

THEN I started using the boxes at home as media players rather than hide them in the closet. ...And for Outrun 2. You GOTTA love Outrun. Big Grin
It is illegal to charge somebody for the software it is legal to sell the hardware yet you must let people know Xbmc is free. Now let's look at the legally of what you can do with the box. Obviously the stream part has copyright onfrindgement, however they cannot pursue the retailer as he does not break the law they cannot go for the consumer as they purchase the box from a third party. It is the same concept as selling a gun to an extent. If I sell you a gun and u rob a place the cops won't arrest me. Now what protects the consumer is the marketed aspect of the product.

The reality of it all. Cable company are running a monopoly and do with their consumer what ever they want and then lie about a lot of things. Channel company make their money thru advertisement. Cable company do a lot of ahit that is illegal such as increasing your monthly plan even tho you are in a contract then charges u a cancelation fee even tho they broke the contract. This box allow u to separate itself from cable promotional scam.
Actually, no, it is perfectly legal to charge someone for XBMC/Kodi itself. It's stupid, but legal.

If you sell a gun to someone with the intention of helping them to rob a store, then yeah, you can be arrested. Same with selling a box that has software preinstalled and preconfigured to go to access bootleg/pirate video streams. The only thing really keeping anyone safe from being sued or having some kind of legal action taken on them is that it isn't cost effective. Companies aren't interested in going after the "small fry".
(2015-01-15, 17:03)patseguin Wrote:
(2015-01-15, 16:50)jjd-uk Wrote:

Yeah I think these set top companies mislead consumers into thinking they are getting free and legal tv and movies. A Facebook friend said he is buying one of these and when I asked him what he would use to rip his discs, he had no clue what I was talking about.

I'm glad that you trademarked the Kodi name. This company Matricom advertises it as an XBMC/Kodi box which is fine but the fact that they load it with addons to provide pirated content is very shady.

That's strange. We bought a Metracom G box to replace our HTPC. It came with a standard basic kodi. I bought is from Metracom through Amazom.com. Now if your friend didn't buy it from official channels, who knows how it was modified before he got it. Metracom seems to be on the up and up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi intended usage?0