Discussion of Pull Request #5208 [pvr] basic series recording support
(2015-01-23, 11:46)negge Wrote: I think we should strive to keep the interface the same regardless of what backend is used.
Yes isn't that the whole concept of Kodi acting as a unified PVR frontend, to only have one unified frontend GUI interface standard that always looks and acts the same no matter which PVR backends are used?

Ultimately in this dream scenario a user should in the future even be able to use a cross-mix of different PVR backend servers with one client or multiple clients the same time.

So you have all these different scenarios:

- Single Kodi instance/device as only PVR frontend client <=> Single PVR backend.
- Multiple Kodi instances/devices as PVR frontend clients <=> Single PVR backend.

- Single Kodi instance/device as only PVR frontend client <=> Multiple PVR backend of the same type, as in example several servers with Tvheadend.
- Multiple Kodi instances/devices as PVR frontend clients <=> Multiple PVR backend of the same type, as in example several servers with Tvheadend.

- Single Kodi instance/device as only PVR frontend client <=> Multiple PVR backend of different types, as in servers with Tvheadend, VDR, MediaPortal, and WMC server.
- Multiple Kodi instances/devices as PVR frontend clients <=> Multiple PVR backend of different types, as in servers with Tvheadend, VDR, MediaPortal, and WMC server.
Exactly, another good case for making a unified interface.
I'm currently working on a more flexible PR where the pvr client can push some schedule types.

example:
Code:
PVR_TIMERTYPE serie;
  serie.iTypeId = 1;
  serie.iLocalizedStringId = 30000;
  serie.bDependsNewEpisodes = true;
  serie.bDependsTime = false;
  serie.bDependsChannel = false;
  serie.bReadOnly = false;
  PVR->AddTimerType(&serie);

Timertypes can be added on addon creation (just like menu hooks).
As you see, the pvr addon can set depends, if set to false, these depends will not be visible in the timer dialog.

i.e. If an addon adds a "everytime on any channel" type bDependsTime and bDependsChannel should be set false.

Better approach than the current PR?
@negge, if this is a no go, I'll stop working on this and do the small fixes to my current PR.
(2015-01-23, 12:13)RockerC Wrote:
(2015-01-23, 11:46)negge Wrote: I think we should strive to keep the interface the same regardless of what backend is used.
Yes isn't that the whole concept of Kodi acting as a unified PVR frontend, to only have one unified frontend GUI interface standard that always looks and acts the same no matter which PVR backends are used?

That is an admirable aim except that all the hacienda backends have different capabilities. Do you dumb all the pvr clients down to the most basic backend just in the interests of consistency?

Then again in the more complex scenarios (many heterogeneous backends) you want to be able to set a recording rule and not even care which backend does it. But then the frontend would have to take up some tasks like scheduling of recordings which are usually frontend tasks.

EDIT: corrected the dumb android keyboard correction.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think the latest iteration where the addon can populate the "types" and indicate whether the UI should show channel/timeofday/dayofweek UI fields is great. It's still a unified front end GUI but allows the backend to indicate the types supported (without having to define a hardcoded list of potential types in Kodi)
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2015-01-23, 20:04)nickr Wrote:
(2015-01-23, 12:13)RockerC Wrote:
That is an admirable aim except that all the hacienda backends have different capabilities. Do you dumb all the pvr clients down to the most basic backend just in the interests of consistency?
I don't think there is a need to "dumb down" all PVR clients to make a single unified frontend GUI work for PVR in Kodi.

Just add all options for all backends to Kodi's GUI in a way that you can hide those options that are not available for the active PVR client.

Kodi's PVR developers of course have to compromise a little to convert all very similar options into one unified frontend option.

So if two different backends have two very similar options with different names then you display them in Kodi as under a new unified name.

See the the related PVR terminology discussion here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214551
Hello together,

Quote:Timer Lifetime Field
The lifetime options could be better and more intuitive - instead of just a number of days I know our backend and I assume others also support things like "Until Watched" "Until Space Needed" "Forever" etc. .........

Can you the following option "maximum numbers of episode" in this discussion involve, please. Blush

-> Is the max. number obtains, then will deleted the eldest series automatically, shortly before start the recording a new episode.
just built an htpc, with a ceton infinitv 6 PCIe. using wmc for a backend. I love using kodi but ive been using tivo boxes forever before now and got used to those type of series recording. that is the only drawback ive had so far since using an htpc. its more of a hassle setting up series recordings. i don't know anything about programming or anything of that nature, but i am glad someone sees a need for this. it would be nice to select the show you like, select "record series", and it does the rest for you, lol. maybe in a perfect world! I would also be willing to donate a little money for development if need be. ill be watching and hoping this happens. thanks
Hi raucousrimo,

I feel your pain!

I have requested an enhancement to series recordings. With enough votes of interest, maybe we can get it through. Wink

See post here;
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221512
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1959166

And thanks to RockerC for pointing out the right threads!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discussion of Pull Request #5208 [pvr] basic series recording support0