installation help PVR.WMC
Status. Girlfriend stopped by to see what I accomplished in 3 months. She suggested that I sell the parts and she just stay with TWC. No patience. I built a new computer with OpenELEC. I have a laptop with Windows 7 and installed serverWMC. I can't figure out how to install pvr.wmc on the OpenElec computer that will also house the storage. I don't understand the instructions below.

3.2 Installing Manually

*Download the appropriate version for your OS and XBMC version here: https://googledrive.com/host/0ByNnAMYBoW...index.html
*In XBMC, navigate to System → Addons → Install from zip file
*The file browser window will then open. Navigate to and select the file downloaded from the link above.

I initially copied the zip to a flash drive. I put the flash into the OpenELEC computer. Could never get, "install from zip file" to find it. I reread the instructions and it appears that "Download" meant from the OpenELEC computer based on the next two sentences but I couldn't find a browser on it to download the file. I'm stuck on "download", "navigate" and browser. The only thing that works on the "install from zip file" is the cancel button but none of the six entries.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
What version openelec though? Because pvr.wmc should be included by default and thus no need to manually update at this stage
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2015-01-11, 00:29)scarecrow420 Wrote: What version openelec though? Because pvr.wmc should be included by default and thus no need to manually update at this stage

It is 4.2.1 Generic.x86_64. Under "summary information" it shows no "pvr service" information. I did not select add pvr.wmc during installation. I haven't made any changes to the installation yet so should I just reformat the SSD and re-install?

Thanks for the response
Update for future observers. I reinstalled OE. There was no option to select pvr.wmc during installation as some material instructed. The reason I could not install the zip was a problem with the USB port. I tried one on the the computer backside and that worked. However PVR service still showed no entries so I assume it still is not installed.
Go into System -> Settings -> Live TV. Once there click the enabled radio button. It will tell you that there is not PVR add-on enable and take you to a list of PVR add-ons. Scroll down to PVR WMC Client. Click that, set up server name under configure, then enable it. That should be all you need to do. I do recommend you download OpenElec 5 which includes Kodi 14.
Awesome. Would not have figured that out in a hundred years. I will do the OE 5. Does it automatically trim SSD (Intel).

Here is a tactical question. I want WMC because it is simple to use and if I go back to cable TV to record protected shows. I have a new fast computer with only OE on a SSD that I want to process incoming programs and then store recorded shows on a hard drive in that computer. I have Hdhomerun Prime to tune clear QAM (still on my cable). I have an older laptop with WMC for EPG. I read in one of the instructions that processing would take place on the Windows computer (the laptop) not the HTPC. Is that true? That would defeat the new HTPC power.

Again thanks for your help. You saved me a hundred years so far.
Swmc need to run on the same pc as media center, so it will need to run on your laptop. It doesn't do much processing unless it is actively streaming to multiple clients - that is when it is under its heaviest load, so if you are going to have problems, it will be then. If your laptop is connected wirelessly (as most laptops are) that will probably be your bigger problem in streaming to multiple clients. However, since you have a dlna capable tuner, you can use swmc in dlna mode. In that case there is almost no load on swmc, all your clients will be streaming directly from your tuner. So look into that if you want keep your current configuration.

If you really want the pvr backend on your htpc, I think you should looking into tvheadend - I think it will run in that os and from what I read it is a very powerful pvr solution. The forum above this one can give you guidance on what to pick.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Krustyreturns, thanks for that info. If I use swmc in dlna mode can I have recordings stored on the HTPC?
Sort of. Wmc has a restriction built into it that the 'main' recording tv folder be on a local disk (although it can watch folders in network shares). There are tricks to get around this restriction though, but I have never tried them - and I can't recall what they are. Google it in wmc forums, you should get lots of hits and I don't think it is difficult to set up.

You'll need network bandwidth to pull it off though. Swmc running in dlna mode just works for live tv, for recordings all the tuner output needs to go to the recording service on your laptop and from there to the rec TV folder.

Once the recordings are on your share, kodi will be pulling them off of there directly when you play them.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Great info. Maybe I should kill the laptop, put Windows 7 on the hard drive of the HTPC and leave OE5 on the SSD. Now it is all in one case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
installation help PVR.WMC0