Always send audio to dlna render
Thumbs Down 
Hi,

It would be great if you could setup in the settings that kodi always uses chosen dlna player for audio. Video stays as is.

If you have raspberry near the projector and av device on the other side of the room, you could send audio trough the network to it.

I know you can set "play to" on the context menu, but it is not usefull if youalways have to set that up. And i didn't find that function when you watch pvr/live tv programs.
I believe this is possible using the default player option in advancedsettings.xml (wiki). Just use the exact name as it appears for the UPnP device. You should be able to set this specifically for audio.
@ned Scott: I think what snoopy86 wants is to send the audio stream of a video to a DLNA renderer but play the video on the standard output. This is not possible right now and would also not be easy to imlement since UPnP works file based so it would still have to retrieve the whole video file and getting the audio and video to play in sync would be a challenge as well.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Yeah, that's probably what he means now that I think of it.
(2015-01-12, 08:47)Montellese Wrote: @ned Scott: I think what snoopy86 wants is to send the audio stream of a video to a DLNA renderer but play the video on the standard output. This is not possible right now and would also not be easy to imlement since UPnP works file based so it would still have to retrieve the whole video file and getting the audio and video to play in sync would be a challenge as well.

You could make an AudioSink which writes to a buffer which you serve as PCM through the webserver/uPnP server and you tell the upnp media renderer to play it. But yes, the main problem will for sure be latency, it will be rather hard to get accuracy up so that they play in sync.

You know how much have been served and I reckon you know how much have been played through the media controller, but wonder how accurate it'll be.

You can do it with pulseaudio and rygel, https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Rygel/Pulseaudio so I suggest testing that first to see how nice it works, if ok then one could pursue doing it in kodi too.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Great info! Now i'm on openelec (raspberry) so i will test rygel on different linux pc.
I have tried to achieve the same (i.e. play the audio channels of a video on a dlna renderer) and eventually I was able to get it working as a proof of concept. The issue with rygel is, that the audio will always be delayed by some time because of reencoding and that by itself is an expensive operation that adds a lot of load to the cpu. If one does not want to have that load constantly or does not use the dlna rendering speakers exclusively to play the audio of kodi, it has to be enabled manually and this again is a PITA. Currently it works for me but I do not use it at all because of the manyfold manual steps required to set it up.

Currently it is possible to send a video to a dlna renderer by doing "play at .." but this results in the video to be not displayed anymore. It is even clear that kodi must behave like that because the dlna renderer might well be able to play the video. In my case the dlna renderers are just speakers that are smart enough to decode movies and play the audio of the video (i.e. to interact well with youtube). So if kodi had the ability to redirect only the audio of a video to a dlna renderer it would be ideal.

Does someone know if there are plans to support this feature?
This use case here is a fairly common one (I have it too): raspberry with kodi connected over hdmi to a projector. Projector is far away from the stereo-amp - no chance to connect raspberry with a physical audio cable with the amp/loudspeakers. How to get the sound from the video to the loudspeakers ?? It would be really cool if kodi could support that by offering a audio stream only for the audio of the video and have it always streamed to a specific DLNA-media-renderer.

I would not want to get pulseaudio in the loop in any way, because all my experience with network streams with pulseaudio is: a nightmare.

The only workaround I can currently think of are audio transmitters. They exist for ~$40:
http://www.portablehifi.com/
http://www.avantree.com/product-bluetoot...n-632.html

I guess all solution would have the challange of the synchronization between video-audio. However, as far as I understand, synchronized playback is part of the upnp standard. So, properly implemented, it should somehow be possible to sync the raspberry with the mediarenderer.
This is a very much related thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=6207
Yes this should be implemented in Kodi with upnp sync without the use of other sw or hw.
Thats great and sounds interesting. Would you like to share more information?
AllJoyn supports synced audio streaming. And there are a bunch of compatible speakers on the market already. Not quite DLNA though, but usually they have DLNA also.
The problem seems no Kodi/pulseaudio support on this.. yet?
is there any possible way to cast from a raspberry pi to the audio chromecast??
This might be an option that replaces rygel:

https://github.com/masmu/pulseaudio-dlna

It should further be able to run on your rasperry.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Always send audio to dlna render0