How to recognize addons with torrent streaming support?
Under German jurisdiction, it is almost certainly fatal to download copyrighted material using a peer-to-peer or torrent protocol since that usually causes an upload, too, and publishes ones IP as seed on the internet. German lawyers track down these seed owners and make a huge amount of money using dissuasions.

When using a well-known torrent client, it is obvious that the torrent protocol will be used. But this may not be so apparent if that client is embedded into an addon for XBMC/Kodi that does not display the details for the download and upload.

Of course, many sites are obviously illegal - but others may not be so clearly illegal. So I could find myself streaming apparently legal content from a site using sopcast (streaming over p2p) without noticing and making myself a prime target for those dissuasion lawyers. These could even make a trap out of this for unaware users. This has already happened in the past with picture portals (copyright notice written with 2pt size and republishers tracked). Dissuasions are widely abused by criminal laywers in Germany (Yes, I am a bit paranoid ... Wink

Therefore I'd like to ban all p2p related functionality from my Kodi 14.0 (Helix) installation alltogether to remain on the safe side.
  1. How can I reliably determine if an addon for Kodi supports p2p/torrent/sopcast, i.e. uploads of any kind?
  2. Do all addons rely on shared addons like p2p-streams or XBMCtorrent or external programs?
  3. Do all addons have to use a specific API to support p2p? I could download and build a modified Streaming-Kodi myself.
  4. What would I need to look for in the sources of an addon?
  5. Is there a list of addons (here?) that support p2p?
I've read the forums piracy policy and seen the list of banned repositories and addons. But that list may not include all p2p addons. I want to stay out of the illegal stuff alltogether but still have the chance to use additional addons (not just those on kodi.tv), in particular for German content. Hence my questions.
push

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to recognize addons with torrent streaming support?0