CEC causes Rasbmc Helix freezup
This is just to inform anyone else experiencing the same problem!

After having upgraded my Rpi to Raspbmc Kodi/Helix, it started to freeze. I have my Pi powered on 24/7, but whenever (almost) I returned to Kodi it was frozen and did not respond to any input from ir-remote, Yatse or the web-UI. However the OS was running, so I was able to SSH into the Pi. After having spent many hours trying to find the fault which involved a clean reinstall and keeping all the default settings without any addons and it still froze, I finally found the settings for CEC (which I had overlooked previously), and disabled it (I don't use it anyway) and that did the trick! I checked and verified that CEC (or the equivalent) was turned off in my other devices (TV, Amp, BR-player).

Another strange thing with Helix is that if I leave Kodi att the home screen, next time i come back it has changed to a sub-menu by itself. No big deal, but strange anyhow...
This will help, its likely a power supply issue you have.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

(2015-01-13, 08:52)wrxtasy Wrote: This will help, its likely a power supply issue you have.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

No, it's not a power issue! Never had this problem in previous versions. Also no problem updating the library which is the most power intensive action. Furthermore, my CPU usage (Kodi Home screen) is significantly reduced with Helix compared to previous versions (50% -> 15 %).

To me it looks like a bug in the CEC implementation in Helix...
Detail your RPi setup, be specific, otherwise we just go back and forth asking questions and wasting time.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

(2015-01-13, 09:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Detail your RPi setup, be specific, otherwise we just go back and forth asking questions and wasting time.

Ok, but first I want to make clear that there is very little doubt that it was deactivating CEC that solved the issue! I will reactivate it again and see if the problem reoccurs, just to be sure. At the same time I will activate debug logging + CEC logging.

My setup is a Rpi B model with Raspbmc Helix stable. 2A Samsung PS. 8GB Samsung SD-card. HDMI connected to a Yamaha amp to which a Samsung Tivo box and a Philips BR player are also connected via HDMI. TV is a LG LCD. A Chomecast is connected to the other TV HDMI input.
I have checked and verified that CEC is disabled in TV and Amp. Tivo has no settings for CEC. Hmmm... could it be the Chomecast? Didn't consider that at first. Have to check and see if removing it makes a difference!
Certainly a lot of items in the HDMi chain there, I suppose you have tried connecting the RPi directly to the TV ?
I doubt its the Chromecast as it does not even have CEC hardware.

Have you also tried switching HDMI inputs into the TV ?
I know with my Sony TV with HDMI CEC control from the RPi, it would strangely only work on one Input properly.

I'm so keen att rerouting cables, a certain woman will surely raise opinions, now that all is working Smile Maybe when I have the time and wife's away...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CEC causes Rasbmc Helix freezup0