Req Kodi chromecast receiver
Quote:There is no reason why the other methods they use can't be added!

yes there is! You just keep ignoring every technical reason we give you. If its so easy, you do it.
(2015-08-24, 02:08)Asphyx Wrote: Those that support Airplay DO WORK with Kodi as Kodi has seen fit to support this.

Wrong ... i was already regretting adding airplay to kodi and will regret it again when ios9 is released (and breaking kodi support again).

(2015-08-24, 02:08)Asphyx Wrote: Yes there are technical hurdles!
Thats what Coding is all about overcoming!

blah blah blah - you can talk as much as you want - its only sounding smart. But sounding smart doesn't get anything done sadly. Coding is not all about overcoming technical hurdles. (we are no masochists who need pain to live...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-24, 10:45)Memphiz Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 02:08)Asphyx Wrote: Those that support Airplay DO WORK with Kodi as Kodi has seen fit to support this.

Wrong ... i was already regretting adding airplay to kodi and will regret it again when ios9 is released (and breaking kodi support again).

blah blah blah - you can talk as much as you want - its only sounding smart. But sounding smart doesn't get anything done sadly. Coding is not all about overcoming technical hurdles. (we are no masochists who need pain to live...)

And you wonder why a million Chromecasts plus a million Roku's plus a Million FireTV stick have been sold despite being INFERIOR to Kodi?

In my company when a coder says to me "It can't be done" I usually fire him and hire one who says yeah I have some ideas on how to do it.

Can't really just means Won't!
(2015-08-24, 22:06)Asphyx Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 10:45)Memphiz Wrote:

And you wonder why a million Chromecasts plus a million Roku's plus a Million FireTV stick have been sold despite being INFERIOR to Kodi?

In my company when a coder says to me "It can't be done" I usually fire him and hire one who says yeah I have some ideas on how to do it.

Can't really just means Won't!

If you have all these coders, why are you asking someone else to code it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well then we now expect you to hire some coders who think they can, finish the job and send us the code.
Deadline is next month because you corporate guys love deadlines
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-08-24, 22:21)Martijn Wrote: Well then we now expect you to hire some coders who think they can, finish the job and send us the code.

Why would I send you the code and not just Fork your project and make it the way I want to?
No point in giving you code you are already on record saying you regret supporting in a similar technology?

All I know is I have no more HDMI inputs left and if something else that comes out that requires one the Kodi box is probably the next thing to go!

PS If you were really listening to what I have said here I never once ASKED you to add Chromecast support in this thread...
Only reason I got involved is because of the piss poor excuse used for dismissing the request!

Chromecast support isn't the only request that has been made here to get these similarly snarked and dismissive responses fro devs!
all the boxes you mentioned are closed source, aren't they? As said already, if you find a cross platform opensource library that can send or receive chromecast, please share a link and I'm sure a dev will look into it.
(2015-08-24, 23:30)Asphyx Wrote: Chromecast support isn't the only request that has been made here to get these similarly snarked and dismissive responses fro devs!

See, this isn't about Chromecast. This is about you getting on your little soapbox because you think we're being mean because we don't give a shit about Chromecast.

Kodi is not a Chromecast receiver. If someone wants to work on it then we will be happy, but right now that's not something Kodi does. We don't care if Kodi never gets a Chromecast receiver function. We don't care if you stop using Kodi because of it. We wouldn't care if half our users stopped using Kodi because of a lack of Chromecast function. Do you know why? Because Kodi is a specific tool, and Kodi is not, and will not be, one-size-fits-all. Kodi is not for receiving smart apps, netflix, or mirroring your phone or laptop screen. Kodi is primarily for the local media files a user has on their HDD or NAS.

But let's forget that. We've rehashed this point too many times to count. The real issue here is you feeling that you were wronged because we don't care. It doesn't work like that. You don't come bust into our house and start demanding that we care about features you, or anyone else, wants. You don't get to be butthurt if someone doesn't like Chromecast, or 3D, or playing back videos at 2x speed, or playing videos in a RAR container. There will be Team Kodi members who don't like those things, and sometimes even hate those things, and that has no impact on the feature being in Kodi or not. I think 3D movies are stupid, and yet Kodi has 3D support. All that matters is if is there is someone willing to do the work.

So get over it. Stop bitching that some of us, as individuals, voiced our opinions.
Yes - one more time - not kodi regrets AirPlay - I do.

Also if you fire your devs because they tell you that something can't be done i think any further discussion of anything in here can be skipped. You seem to think you are at work here where you clearly have the mighty power to do whatever you like to your slaves.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-24, 23:30)Asphyx Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 22:21)Martijn Wrote: Well then we now expect you to hire some coders who think they can, finish the job and send us the code.

Why would I send you the code and not just Fork your project and make it the way I want to?
No point in giving you code you are already on record saying you regret supporting in a similar technology?

All I know is I have no more HDMI inputs left and if something else that comes out that requires one the Kodi box is probably the next thing to go!

PS If you were really listening to what I have said here I never once ASKED you to add Chromecast support in this thread...
Only reason I got involved is because of the piss poor excuse used for dismissing the request!

Chromecast support isn't the only request that has been made here to get these similarly snarked and dismissive responses fro devs!

Unless you are developing solely for yourself and never distribute, you'd give your code over because the gpl says you must.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-24, 23:30)Asphyx Wrote:

great mindset, way to go Rolleyes
uff. I really hope some of the things that have been posted by the op are just figures of speech. If you are in a position of hiring/firing someone please share your company name with us so we can know what company to avoid.
(2015-08-26, 04:59)Kimabel Wrote: I have searched, but again it is pretty darn relevant and important to support. I am baffled that it isn't in already.

You're baffled? It's not a damn on/off switch. No one just up and decided to not support it. Being baffled by this is pants-on-head retarded. That's like looking at a blank lot of land and wondering why no one built a house there. Like shit just magically appears and doesn't require time and effort. Especially when making an open source implementation for the first time.

It's not really Kodi's job to be a receiver of anything. Let the OS or background app handle it. Look at the Nexus Player, or the third party Chromecast apps that work with Kodi for Android. Kodi's job is the local media library, and a remote-friendly interface for that library. It is a different tool. Kodi is not some omni-mega-super program, nor does it need to be. You don't like it? Then use something else.
Whoa. This argument took a 3 month break, and then just magically reappeared. So... I guess I'll jump right in.

First off, as always, code welcome. I genuinely think that making Kodi a Google Cast (as opposed to chromecast) receiver would be quite cool and would make a nice corollary (that's not constantly breaking) for Airplay. It'd also make a nice replacement for Airplay, as we could then potentially drop AirPlay the next time it breaks, since most iOS apps also support Google Cast.

With that said, there are major issues with the idea. Namely, the evidence appears to be that we'd have to reverse engineer the API to make it happen, which, as Memphiz can tell you, sucks. It sucks not just because it's a lot of work at the outset, but because any update can immediately cause it to break, so maintaining support is virtually impossible unless you've got a guy working fulltime on the project (and even then it's no fun). The fact that memphiz is able to make Airplay work time after time for free is nothing short of astounding.

We've now got contacts at Google. At present, we've never asked to speak with their google cast coworkers to see if Kodi could become a receiver, but I'd be happy to do so. If going that route requires that Kodi include code that isn't GPL licensed (or GPL compatible) though, the conversation would be a nonstarter. My guess is that such a conversation would lead to that exact outcome, but hey, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

So far, we're looking at things in Google Cast that might be surmountable. Chromecast is an entirely different ball of wax. To begin, Google hasn't licensed ANYTHING to be a Chromecast receiver except the Chromecast itself and devices running Android TV. And some TVs, maybe? Certainly no other software. And even if they did, Chromecast is riddled with DRM, which means we'd either have to put most of it into a closed binary add-on (which no current dev would be interested in doing), or we'd have to reverse engineer our way around the DRM, which no current dev is interested in doing either (see AirPlay problems above).

This means even if we worked with Google, and they were willing to play ball with us, Kodi would never make a viable Netflix receiver or any other kind of receiver for DRM content. That would leave Youtube and other DRM-free sources.

I still think that'd be great, because frankly I only cast Youtube to my NVIDIA Shield TV anyway. But I'm not sure how many other people have my particular mindset.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi chromecast receiver0