Info about GPU-usage
Hi there,
just a short question. Maybe i am too blind to find it... Tongue

Is there a possibility to have the GPU-usage displayed? I know, there are at least two possibilities to get the CPU-usage, but i don't find one for the GPU.
It seems that i have some problems with my quite old ION-system and it would help me a lot to see the actual values.

At the moment i realize the (missing) GPU-speed by dropped frames and visible stuttering - not very accurate.
not in kodi. You have to rely on tools specific for your gpu.
GPU model and temperature should be all you really need, and device driver version might be good to have too for troubleshooting, but MHz usage should not be needed.

Anyway, as Kodi doesn't use raw GPU graphics processing power to decode any videos so GPU usage usually have nothing to do with video playback issues in Kodi.
Quote:Anyway, as Kodi doesn't use raw GPU graphics processing power to decode any videos so GPU usage usually have nothing to do with video playback issues in Kodi.

I have problems with scaling/deinterleacing. CPU-usage is at about 15% - so it is very likely the missing GPU-power, which is responsible for the playback issues.
yes it is. in particular it's the high quality scaling shader that cannot run at 1080p while doing advanced deinterlacing (i guess the deinterlace happens on the gpu and not a specialized component). so rockerc, while correct in general (decode does not happen on the gpu), in this particular case it's raw gpu that is the bottleneck.
use bilinear scaling, issues gone?
Completely different platform but the refactor work being done here is still relevant and very interesting what can be done if the skill, time, and interest is there:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211289

The resulting work in this other thread is about changing the rendering path and method for video de-interleacing to significantly reduce GPU bottlenecks.
wsnipex, yes, or 'auto' which will do that for hd content.
ah right, you have an ION as well Smile
Yah the damn thing refuse to die Wink
(2015-01-15, 17:39)ironic_monkey Wrote: Yah the damn thing refuse to die Wink

Yeah... the bastards are well engineered. It's my wife's favorite appliance (except me).
Same here - the ION still work and work and work... Nod
And yes, you are right Snipex, with bilinear scaling the problems are all gone.
But it would be helpful to know how busy the GPU realy is. Maybe there are capacities for better than bilinear?
ancient NVidia drivers reported GPU load through tools like mvidia-smi but than this was dropped for what reason ever.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Info about GPU-usage0