Newbie at iOS / Xcode development
Hi,

I am very interested in getting a build for iOS (iPhone 6 and iPad 3) with the PR from this developer:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6184

I cloned the developer's branch from here:

https://github.com/7pepo7/xbmc/tree/master-subtitles

Unfortunately I could not manage to get my Xcode to compile. I have followed everything in the https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...README.ios

First I got issue with signing. Without a paid developer account I looked for an alternative and tried this out:

http://www.sysrage.net/guides/ios-progra...er-license

This got me past the signing issue.
Then it seems to compile for a while but eventually fail with Mach-O linking errors.

Can someone please verify if there are some undocumented, but obvious (to you) requirements that a newbie like me might have missed?
Something like the signing certificates / provisioning profiles / developer account etc?
Is the link I provided above a valid way to compile without developer license?

If possible, could someone please help me compile / build a version with the external subtitles over UPnP feature?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
here is a build from that tree (link should be valid in 30 minutes from now latest):

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/darw...es-ios.deb
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-01-15, 01:10)Memphiz Wrote: here is a build from that tree (link should be valid in 30 minutes from now latest):

Thank you so much!!

I am still determined to get my environment right!

This motivates me to try harder! Thanks you so much again!
Hi Memphiz,

How important is the exact software versions?

I am on OSX 10.10.1
Xcode 6.1.1

The latest versions of these should all be OK, right?

I am just starting over again and need to know if I should rather install exact version of Xcode, like 6.1.0 instead of 6.1.1 etc.

This is what I found in the README.ios:
The current build system supports Xcode 3.2.6, 4.3.x, 5.x.x, 6.0.1, 6.1.0 with iOS SDK 4.3/5.1/6/7/8/8.1

Also my phone is 8.1.2, does that matter?

Also do I need that developer signing certificate or provisioning profile, or is there an easier way around that?
1. Xcode 6.1.1 should be fine (i don't update the readme just because apple pushes out new versions of their tools - something like Xcode7 would be not supported until i add it to the readme - you get the pattern...)
2. SDK 8.1 works (there is no SDK 8.1.2 - don't mix up ios version and sdk version).
3. You don't need a certificate. Without certificate you are limited to compile via cmdline (xcodebuild) as described in the readme

This is the line for without certificate:

Code:
xcodebuild -project Kodi.xcodeproj -target Kodi-iOS -configuration Release build   ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES ARCHS=armv7 VALID_ARCHS=armv7 IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=5.1 SDKROOT=iphoneos8.1 CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY="" CODE_SIGNING_REQUIRED=NO

Please accept that all this is ment to be used by ios developers. So in case you don't get it done with those instructions i won't invest that much time in telling you howto do it. I can't expect anything back from non developers (in form of source code contribution) and its just a waste of time to teach non-developers those things just so they can build whatever version they want on their own.

Sry if this comes over rude - but its really frustrating because i helped a lot of people to compile Kodi for ios - even with developer certificate but in the end all those people just used my knowledge to please themselfs and not for developing for kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-01-16, 16:06)Memphiz Wrote: 1. Xcode 6.1.1 should be fine (i don't update the readme just because apple pushes out new versions of their tools - something like Xcode7 would be not supported until i add it to the readme - you get the pattern...)
2. SDK 8.1 works (there is no SDK 8.1.2 - don't mix up ios version and sdk version).
3. You don't need a certificate. Without certificate you are limited to compile via cmdline (xcodebuild) as described in the readme

Code:
xcodebuild -project Kodi.xcodeproj -target Kodi-iOS -configuration Release build   ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES ARCHS=armv7 VALID_ARCHS=armv7 IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=5.1 SDKROOT=iphoneos8.1 CODE_SIGN_IDENTITY="" CODE_SIGNING_REQUIRED=NO

Please accept that all this is ment to be used by ios developers. So in case you don't get it done with those instructions i won't invest that much time in telling you howto do it. I can't expect anything back from non developers (in form of source code contribution) and its just a waste of time to teach non-developers those things just so they can build whatever version they want on their own.

Sry if this comes over rude - but its really frustrating because i helped a lot of people to compile Kodi for ios - even with developer certificate but in the end all those people just used my knowledge to please themselfs and not for developing for kodi.

Thanks so much for the support so far!
It is much appreciated.

I will try further on my own.
Now that I have confirmation that most of what I have should work, I have more confidence in trying again.

I completely understand what you mean. You are entitled to what you say.
I will try and contribute by helping 7pepo7 (author of pull request) test his features.

Cheers!
(2015-01-16, 16:06)Memphiz Wrote: 1. Xcode 6.1.1 should be fine (i don't update the readme just because apple pushes out new versions of their tools - something like Xcode7 would be not supported until i add it to the readme - you get the pattern...)

Code:

It WORKED!

Thanks, this time around it worked with the command you gave me for xcodebuild.
The documented command in the README.ios wasn't sufficient for my requirements, and even if it was, I would still not have succeeded because of passing in wrong IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET values etc.

I tried above command but changed 5.1 to 8.1. This failed and I thought by myself, here we go again!
Then I tried exactly as above with 5.1 and EUREKA!
(2015-01-15, 09:46)bloumoord Wrote:
(2015-01-15, 01:10)Memphiz Wrote: here is a build from that tree (link should be valid in 30 minutes from now latest):

Thank you so much!!

I am still determined to get my environment right!

This motivates me to try harder! Thanks you so much again!

I just discovered that if I do a clean install of either this deb, or the one that I succeeded in building myself, there is no app icon on the springboard.

Only if installed from cydia or the one downloaded from official kodi download page, it shows the icon.
I then tried to upgrade to the custom deb file by installing from iFile on top of official installed app. The icon still shows, but it does not appear to upgrade.

You can check if you have v14 installed, and the upgrade to the deb linked above, which is v15 alpha 1, the startup splash screen still shows v14.

What is missing / wrong with the custom compiled deb files?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie at iOS / Xcode development0