Audio Description to separate speaker
ok all this may seem very odd but I figure it is worth a shot. I just had a friend call me who has a son that was recently blinded while overseas. and he wanted me so see if I could find a way to have the Audio Description on movies played to a separate set of headphones or speakers like in a movie theater. Well my mind went straight to kodi as an option so I am hoping someone here may have a suggestion even if it isn't kodi based.

Thanks,
Yonu
The only way I could see this happen; (easily) is if you run two versions of software at the same time, the first utilizing the standard audio system from your PC or source, and the second utilizing description mode (the starting sync might be out of whack). For the most part a single source occupies and dominates the audio system but I have discovered that some PC's can multitask, with Kodi on the main TV while I'm headphones out with the PC checking the next video. I've also learned I can have Kodi Helix and XBMC Gotham running simultaneously, so I suspect what you ask is doable, even if sync might be an issue.

Sheer speculation; it might be possible to re-encode the video with a dedicated channel audio track to the descriptive mode and the rest handles standard. Then using hardware, tease between the speakers and headphones. I guess the re-encode would be a tiresome method and the hardware set-up might be an issue.
thanks for the info it helps. Now I just have to figure out the best way to do it.guess I will run by and borrow a movie from them that has the description track in it so I can play with the suggestions

Thanks,
Yonu
If the description track outputs to only one speaker (say the left) then it might be possible to disconnect the left and use an ear phone on that. Would seem to me, that this issue might have been thought when the descriptive feature was added. If you do get any luck on this issue, a posting for others of the solve would be helpful to them.
I think there might be a huge issue with this request:
While some Blu-Rays feature a descriptive audio mix, isn't this track just the regular audio track with descriptive audio mixed all in together, rather than having the descriptive audio as an independent channel, it's part of a whole mix. Thus, there just wouldn't be a way to even feed JUST the descriptive audio to a separate audio source because it doesn't exist to start with.
I suspect you're right and it's a mixed bag, could also be one or the other; and best would be in a 5.1 system with a mid only channel that carries the descriptive audio when played in that mode (would be so much easier for a lot of people). I should mention that with a program like MKVmerge (wiki supplemental tools) you can move audio channels around.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Description to separate speaker0