Support for official addons - NetFlix, Dish, etc
Hello,

I wanted to revisit the thoughts of possibly getting info on why we don't really see any official addons from the major players, Netflix, MLB, Hulu, Amazon, etc. I know the issue is typically the combination of linux and DRM (DRM is stupid), but seeing just about everything work on the Roku(which I believe is linux based) kinda annoys me as its terrible compared to Kodi, but all the major players write apps for it.

Recently we have seen the name change from XBMC to Kodi and Kodi going after some people on ebay selling devices with Kodi installed along with some addons that can access questionable content.

Is Kodi doing anything to try and lure the major players into getting official addons for Kodi? Anything the community can do?

Kind regards,

lordsiris
Kodi would need support for Binary based addons instead of python scripts to even get the big players to say 'No' rather than just entirely ignore Kodi instead.

DRM is a major concern to these companies and they won't deal with another platform unless it can be managed and that's really just the FIRST step to making it happen.
Linux works with DRM just fine, but the real issue is getting companies like Netflix to work directly with us, regardless of OS. The next best thing to working "directly" together is to hopefully find something that is visually seamless to the user, maybe using some kind of API and/or switching between apps smoothly.

We he close to being pretty good, but it would be so much better if the integration was tighter :/
(2015-01-17, 04:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Linux works with DRM just fine, but the real issue is getting companies like Netflix to work directly with us, regardless of OS. The next best thing to working "directly" together is to hopefully find something that is visually seamless to the user, maybe using some kind of API and/or switching between apps smoothly.

We he close to being pretty good, but it would be so much better if the integration was tighter :/

Just out of curiosity, has there been any kind of outreach from Kodi towards those players? If so, have they ever even responded? Especially Netflix to me seems to have a "We want to be on everything" stance.
yes (we asked) and no (no answer...) - also this is discussed already on multiple threads in our forum fyi...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Many people at Netflix really do want to be on every device and app possible, and some are rumored to be XBMC/Kodi users themselves, but the higher ups and the content owners just see that as a risk of some kind. There have been devs at Netflix who wanted to be available on Linux-based OSes for years, but that's only recently happened. So maybe one day it might happen for Kodi, but there's a lot of thick skulls to work through first :)
(2015-01-18, 00:49)Ned Scott Wrote: Many people at Netflix really do want to be on every device and app possible, and some are rumored to be XBMC/Kodi users themselves, but the higher ups and the content owners just see that as a risk of some kind. There have been devs at Netflix who wanted to be available on Linux-based OSes for years, but that's only recently happened. So maybe one day it might happen for Kodi, but there's a lot of thick skulls to work through first Smile

To my knowledge, none of this has ever been spoken to us directly though. For the most part, we tend to get more the stone wall of silence treatment.
Might be different discussion if and when Kodi have added support for HTML5 based addons

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=25

That is if Kodi will ever have support for standard HTML5 addons.
in which way would HTML5 addons help? Supporting HTML5 doesn't mean we also support EME
(2015-01-20, 18:10)da-anda Wrote: in which way would HTML5 addons help? Supporting HTML5 doesn't mean we also support EME
No but it is step one in doing so, read discussion here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=25&page=20

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Support for official addons - NetFlix, Dish, etc0