keyboard not passing T9 entry as typed in helix release
I've upgraded to kodi (openelec) and am using lirc gpio ir reciever and custom lircd and lircmap. Its been fine transferring from one version to the next. but in kodi when I type something in youtube for example, I can see what I typed and its fine "nemo" then when I press enter it misses out letters for exmaple for "nemo" it passes through "nem" even though on the screen I clearly see I wrote nemo.

I've been waiting to see if this is a known issue but not come across anyone mention this, except some are having problems with remote configs. I really like the the extra speed and want to upgrade. is this an issue being worked on? thanks
It seems unlikely this is Pi specific. Does it only affect gpio ir receiver? (i.e. do you get same issue with keyboard/CEC/iPhone?)
Can you reproduce it on another platform?
I should have given more information. Its fine if I use my remote to use arrow keys to go to the letter and choose letters in that way. but its when I'm using it in T9 mode. i.e press 2 once for a, 2 twice for b... so to answer your question I'm sure it works fine on keyboard. dont have a smartphone so can't test that. and my tv doesn't have cec.

I noticed this problem on a few addons and first thought it was the addons fault but in youtube you can go back to see what you typed and only then I noticed the glitch. I tried to do abit of testing like which keys are not registering, I did see a vague pattern, not sure since I didn't spend to long on it BUT its mainly the letters at the end, maybe theres a delay for some reason and I need to wait. the keyboard side of things has changed.

also I've mapped a button to put on capslock (send click something). when I press it on kodi it makes each letter upercase BUT when I start typing again T9 style the letters come out lower case, not something that is happening on my gotham install. would a log help? I didn't know where else to go. I've been waiting for openelec team for the next release but It doesn't seem like anyone else is having the problem. by the way this the second time I did a fresh install openelec 5.0.0 on sepearte sdcards. same outcome
Does this only affect the YouTube addon, what about Global Search or any other input field when T9 is used?

I'm not in a position to test this right now, but this sounds like a T9/edit control bug that will almost certainly affect all platforms. The T9/edit controls saw several changes in Helix, which might explain the Gotham difference.

Can a Mod move this to General?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
yes it does, infact I first noticed it on a popular pirated addon beginning with g. first I thought it was a bug in the addon. since the it was returning this that seemed like in a different language (Nem instead of nemo) then by chance I tried it youtube and luckily it stores it searches. I should have reported this when I came across it (as soon as kodi was released) but figured it would have been identified and solved by the time I mentioned something.

oh yeah I'm on version 4.0.7 openelec. I do believe thats gotham, didn't get around to updating to the next stable release. (thats my main system but got a spare sdcard to test if you want me to, already got openelec 5 installed, but holding back to migrate till this gets resolved) thanks for your help!

EDIT: yes it does affect all addons that I use T9 to search. brain freeze!
EDIT2: I also recall when I added a source in file manager, I typed fusion, and it missed the n out. so its not localised to addons.
some more testing, I donwloaded and tried 4.2.1 (helix?) openelec and T9 works there flawlessly. so its happened since kodi release. well there has been an addition of a new keyboard which might have done something?

also I forgot to mention that the behaviour prior to kodi is when I press symbols key on my remote and then choose a symbol, it goes back on the alphabet letters. whereas in kodi they stay on symbols. I don't know if that is by design. thought I'll let you know the differences

and this time when I typed "nemo" it returned with query "nemo"
(2015-01-18, 12:14)MediaPi Wrote: some more testing, I donwloaded and tried 4.2.1 (helix?) openelec and T9 works there flawlessly. so its happened since kodi release. well there has been an addition of a new keyboard which might have done something?

Yes Helix has a number of keyboard related changes. What skin are you using? Does it fail with confluence?
everything is default. all I did was download the legacy image 4.2.1 openelec. went through configuration added wifi. then added new source in file managment fusion was passed through correctly. added repo downloaded addon. and searched for "nemo" it worked. then went into youtube (the addon automatically downloaded youtube) typed "nemo" no problems and te tested in g***** and nemo still worked. so yes skin is confluence. keyboard is the old classic keyboard and not the new one in kodi

EDIT the same goes for kodi test. everything was fresh and default
I've just tried this in the YouTube addon, latest OpenELEC master/Kodi master, VRC-1100 IR remote with USB IR receiver, Raspberry Pi.

I clicked on "New Search", entered "nemo" using T9, pressed OK on the remote (which selected "Done" in the on-screen keyboard) and the correct search term is used, with all the entered letters. In the search history I see "nemo", not "nem".

What am I missing here?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
can't test right now, I'll get back to you. I'm going to reinstall kodi (put helix over before that) the difference between my and your setup is that I'm using gpio ir reciever instead of usb and I used lircd. Maybe it could be that? I'll also try more terms and let you know. thanks for testing. report back soon
sorry I wanted to test before but coudn't. okay so downloaded master image openelec 5 kodi. and done abit more testing and found what I believe to be the bug

its a timing thing. I've mapped a button for "select". so after typing a word I can press select I guess in 0.3 seconds but if I wait for the blink after typing a word (roughly one full second) the word that I typed passes through fine. BUT if I dont wait (and press enter as fast as i could, roughly 0.2 seconds) then the last letter that I typed (in my word) changes. and I found what it changes to.

If I typed e for (which corresponds to 33) it uses the first letter that is assigned to 3, being d. so it assigns to the first letter. but theres other patters. if you wanted the last two letters from the same number (e.g jl from the number 5) since l is sent from the same button (5) and I said that it uses the first letter of that number (which is j) then it misses out j completly, which explains "nemo" since the last letters "mo" come from same number 6.

this is third time fresh install. Milhouse if you can type a word and press enter instantly you would see the behaviour, im sure of it. you would have to have an assigned button for enter or select. its driving me crazy
My OK button ("select") has a default mapping of
Code:
<select>Select</select>

and yes, if I press OK almost immediately after entering the "o" of nemo then I can reproduce the problem. Any kind of delay and I can't.

Pretty sure this should be treated as a General platform issue where someone who knows more about the edit controls and T9 changes might take an interest.
thank god im not making it up. for a second I thought I lost my mind. yes I knew it was select and thats what I mapped it to. thankyou millhouse for testing and I agree with you to move it.

this wasn't/isn't an issue with gotham/helix, I only noticed it KODI. so I'll stick to Helix until hopefully someone can take a look. thanks for your help, I'll keep an eye on this thread

also try pressing the word "andn"

it will reproduce the other quirk about defaulting last letter to first letter of the number 6,m

so it will pass andm instead of andn
(2015-01-18, 19:08)MediaPi Wrote: this wasn't/isn't an issue with gotham/helix, I only noticed it KODI. so I'll stick to Helix until hopefully someone can take a look. thanks for your help, I'll keep an eye on this thread

Are you stating the current OE 5.0 Helix build doesn't have this issue?
If so it have appeared recently. Can you identify the first Milhouse build with this issue? Then we can probably identify the PR and inform the author.
sorry for the confusion, and I've not tried Millhouse builds(need to one day I've heard good things about them)
Im 2 stable release behind from masterbranch in openelec. you got version 5 , 4.2.1 and the version im on.
both 4.2.1(tested today) and my version (both gotham) are fine. its the Helix 5.0 that has this issue.

"The T9/edit controls saw several changes in Helix, which might explain the Gotham difference." Millhouse

not sure if this is related but looking at openelec 4.2.1 announcement here
http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/140-...1-released

it says "double keypresses with remotes", makes me think they did something to the timings?(plus in that version it works normally) but Millhouse did mention T9/edit controls saw changes. and the quirks are not just timing issue. hope that helps. thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
keyboard not passing T9 entry as typed in helix release0