Linux Genuine MCE remote and receiver wont work in ubuntu 14.04
Hey all,

I have Zotac BI320 mine PC. I've installed ubuntu 14.04 and xbmc.

I've followed http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_an_M...l_in_Linux
But nothing happens.

I've tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 Ports.
I've tried disabling the USB 3.0 in the BIOS

Nothing makes it work. No key presses are detected in irw.

ir-player outputs it found a mceusb (/sys/class/rc/rc0/) (/dev/input/event2)

Am i missing something or should I just buy something like a flirc?
Start with the basics. Is the remote sending out a signal. Test batteries. Observe remote through viewfinder of digital camera - the ir led will be visible when you press a button.

Then is the receiver recognized. lsusb is the command to check. Also observe what dmesg had to say when plugging it in.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-17, 20:45)nickr Wrote: Start with the basics. Is the remote sending out a signal. Test batteries. Observe remote through viewfinder of digital camera - the ir led will be visible when you press a button.

Then is the receiver recognized. lsusb is the command to check. Also observe what dmesg had to say when plugging it in.

Receiver worked on my windows pc. lsusb listed the receiver. I couldnt find anything in dmesg which looked like a problem. I tried usb 2 and 3. I tried disabling the usb3 in the bios.

While waiting for replies to this thread, I got my xbox 360 wireless controller working. I tried the steam streaming which worked great. shutdown the pc and switched it back on the following day.
kodi now decides to crash randomly with no errors in log and when it is working, the right cursor key wont work any more on my keyboard.

I've given up as I was getting the idea that the system was going to constantly require me to mess with it. So I installed my spare copy of windows 7.
Its now all working with no problems at all.

Thanks for trying to help nickr
(2015-01-19, 16:00)baron Wrote:
(2015-01-17, 20:45)nickr Wrote: Start with the basics. Is the remote sending out a signal. Test batteries. Observe remote through viewfinder of digital camera - the ir led will be visible when you press a button.

Receiver worked on my windows pc. lsusb listed the receiver. I couldnt find anything in dmesg which looked like a problem. I tried usb 2 and 3. I tried disabling the usb3 in the bios.

While waiting for replies to this thread, I got my xbox 360 wireless controller working. I tried the steam streaming which worked great. shutdown the pc and switched it back on the following day.
kodi now decides to crash randomly with no errors in log and when it is working, the right cursor key wont work any more on my keyboard.

I've given up as I was getting the idea that the system was going to constantly require me to mess with it. So I installed my spare copy of windows 7.

What about posting some more info from the various command that you have issued?
And why did you think you need lirc?
(2015-01-19, 16:05)Claudio.Sjo Wrote:
(2015-01-19, 16:00)baron Wrote:

What about posting some more info from the various command that you have issued?
And why did you think you need lirc?

I cant post the commands as the system was wiped and windows was installed. Sorry, I thought I'd give Ubuntu another try, but it just didnt seem to work for me. From prior experience, its just better to go back to what works after a weekend of trying to get it to work.
You know I did the same thing for awhile. Tried ubuntu and went bask to windows. It can be a pain in the butt but once you get it working its great.

Were you trying to use Ubuntu desktop or server edition?

I had the same LIRC issue with my asrock q1900. Did you check for any other usb settings in the bios? like ucfi (or ufci I forget). When you turned the usb 3.0 off were you still use a 3.0 port?

I built an auto installer for Ubuntu Server 14.04 that might help you out. Makes a set top box like setup. Its great for boxes like yours. super fast compared to windows.
I didnt try the usb 3.0 ports after disabling them.
There were 3 options in total for the usb's in the bios. I did try several combinations.

I have several ubuntu servers, but this install was ubuntu desktop as I wanted a web browser and steam.

At the end of the day, I am confident that I could have made it work. I simply dont have the time to do it. tbh windows 7 is running very fast. so im happy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Genuine MCE remote and receiver wont work in ubuntu 14.040