cache question
I have openelec installed on an zotac mini pc. I also have inserted a small 64gb SD card. I believe I read somewhere that if you zero cache, cache will go automatically to the SD card ?

Is that statement correct ?

The card always appears empty to me. No files, no folders, nothing but ultimately, I want cache to go to the SD card.
Nope. It will go to whatever drive contains the userdata folder (wiki).
Is there a way to get it going to the SD card ?

I know its possible with Android boxes.
Hi shenga,

I think you're referring to the video cache setting described here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Indeed, if you set the cachemembuffersize to zero it won't use RAM for the cache but the local disk.
According to the docs, the cache is deleted if playback is stopped.

Ned Scott already answered the question where exactly the cache will go.

But: Is there any specific reason that you want to use your sd card for caching? Memory constraints?

Greetings

scope
Sorry for the late reply and yes, I refer to the video cache..

Reason for wanting to do this is because I believed it might help with buffering problems. I did the same on my previous Android box and it seemed to work. Considering my Zotac box has a 64gb SSD with 4gm ram, I thought this might be the best course of action as I don't use the Zotac for anything other than Kodi. Its also hard wired to a 150 Mbit line.

Is zero cache the best way to go in most cases ?
Hi!

Basically, if your network's bandwidth and reliability is high enough you should not need the cache at all.
Enabling the cache might help with buffering problems, but only if there's enough time and bandwidth during playback to fill the cache. It won't help if you generally have insufficient bandwidth.

Using a local disk for the cache puts a lot of wear on it - which might result in a disk failure earlier than expected. But since your zotac box has 4GB of RAM I'd just configure a 150-200MB cache (if any at all).

Greetings

scope

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cache question0