load xbmc on mac mini to bypass osx
I have been using xbmc on several mac minis for years now, and am now getting tired of all the loading everytime i want to watch something. I was wondering, is it possible to install xbmc on a mac mini in a way that it bypasses the whole osx loading and goes straight into xbmc via custom os of some kind so that load time gets cut down to like 5 seconds or something.

This would be similar to loading xbmc on a firetv. Instant on. thats what i want to now do with my mac minis. I would still prefer to have an osx partition, but would liek to have a second default partition which would be the xbmc partition.

if this is possible please let me know.
Head over to www.openelec.tv ... its a linux distribution which is ment to do exactly what you want (booting a really small but powerfull linux and start kodi) - have fun...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks so much. That looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Now before I get into the nitty gritty and get my hands dirty with partitions and that kind of stuff, how fast can i expect openelec to boot into xbmc/kodi? Are we talking 10-15 seconds fast?
You should just install it on an usb stick and try it out - no need to wipe your internal drive imo. It boots in about 10 secs or so i guess (from fast usb stick)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@nmirza
You will definitely be interested in this:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

I've been interested about installing openelec into my mac mini but I've never found and easy guide to install it ¿Is there an easy way to do it?
thanks
Or just let your mini sleep instead of powering it off each time. Voila, Instant Kodi.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Thats what I would do if a Newb. Most Mac's go into deep sleep and sip very little power when doing so Smile

(2015-02-13, 03:06)wrxtasy Wrote: Thats what I would do if a Newb. Most Mac's go into deep sleep and sip very little power when doing so Smile

+1

You get all the other benefits of having OS X
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
load xbmc on mac mini to bypass osx0