Help me pick a build | Bay Trial, AMD kabini or Haswell Pentium
Hi Guys,

I would like some advice on what build to pick, I want to build a Mini ITX over a NUC due to upgrading in the future.

I will be using the Antec ISK 110 (comes with a 90w PSU external)

Im trying to keep costs low, The machines primary use would be for Steam in home streaming in 1080p 60FPS (stream from my i5, GTX970) and then streaming media content from my gaming PC using Kodi,

I will add 4GB RAM and one small SSD and run Windows 8.1

Im not massively bothered about TDP as this box wont be left running 24/7 or anything just 2 hours at a time sort of thing. Would like it to be as close to silent as possible. What would you build?

J1900 Bay Trial
- Cheap, Very low power usage, weak GPU worried about its perfoamnce in steam home streaming

AMD 5350
- Cheap but slighlty more than the J1900, uses more power than the J1900, needs a fan (although its very quiet) Should be more powerful

Haswell Pentium
- The most powerful option, Uses a lot more power than the other two (53TDP) , need s a fan, slightly more expensive. should still be ok with 90w PSU

Would you suggest?
Without wishing to offend, if its just for streaming 1080p video I would not even bother building.
There are numerous powerful pre-built media boxes that are very capable for video streaming with Intel Haswell microarchitecture.

A Zotac BI320 (Win 8.1 + SSD + more) comes pre built with a near silent fan and will play any video you care to throw at it. approx $190
ASUS Chromebox at approx AT $150.
See here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1871938

A stated budget would be helpful ?

(2015-01-19, 15:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Without wishing to offend, if its just for streaming 1080p video I would not even bother building.
There are numerous powerful pre-built media boxes that are very capable for video streaming with Intel Haswell microarchitecture.

A Zotac BI320 (Win 8.1 + SSD + more) comes pre built with a near silent fan and will play any video you care to throw at it. approx $190
ASUS Chromebox at approx AT $150.
See here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1871938

A stated budget would be helpful ?

Im in the UK so under £200 lower the better.

Reason for building myself is there is room to upgrade for the future. Im worried about how powerful the CPU needs to be for Steam in home streaming 1080p 60FPS.

I can build a J1900 Mini ITX for cheaper than a NUC.

The main use will be steam so i want to keep it Windows, The pentium is intresting as i can upgrade for 4K wheen needed where with the pre build things i cant

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me pick a build | Bay Trial, AMD kabini or Haswell Pentium0