Server side deinterlacing?
I have a Windows 8.1 box running Windows Media Center and ServerWMC, and use a couple Amazon Fire TVs as my clients. Unfortunately the Fire TVs are not powerful enough to deinterlace 1080i video streams, as it will stutter on occasion when I enable deinterlacing. So I am left watching the streams as is, interlacing and all.

Is there a way to handle the deinterlacing on the server side, which is far more powerful, prior to sending the stream to the client? Is the behavior I described to be expected, or is there something within Windows Media Center settings that would fix my interlacing problem? Thanks
you can't deinterlace an encoded stream. the server would need to decode, de.interlace, and re-encode. far easier and less expensive is to get something more reasonable than Fire TV for live tv.
(2015-01-19, 21:12)FernetMenta Wrote: you can't deinterlace an encoded stream. the server would need to decode, de.interlace, and re-encode. far easier and less expensive is to get something more reasonable than Fire TV for live tv.

Good point. From what I recall the Fire TV doesn't support MPEG2 hardware decoding (or at least Kodi doesn't yet support it on the Fire TV) which then requires the CPU to burn a lot of cycles simply decoding the stream (not even considering deinterlacing). The Fire TV is just so nice given all the streaming apps it supports with an easy to use remote. Trying to use a PC for Netflix, HBO Go, etc. is a nightmare experience. One day there'll be a little box that can do it all Smile
You can deinterlace with fire tv by turning off hardware acceleration and enabling software. The only downside is if you use kodi for both live tv and your movie collection, 1080p movies may suffer. I ran live tv on my firetv with zero issues.

There are other ways to get this done but that's the only one that worked for me.
(2015-01-22, 23:28)breezytm Wrote: You can deinterlace with fire tv by turning off hardware acceleration and enabling software. The only downside is if you use kodi for both live tv and your movie collection, 1080p movies may suffer. I ran live tv on my firetv with zero issues.

There are other ways to get this done but that's the only one that worked for me.

Are you watching 1080i mpg2 PVR recordings/live TV on the fire TV with deinterlacing on and HW accel off (SW accel only)? I've tried this and the Fire TV could not keep up with 1080i content in this configuration with deinterlacing on. Let me know if you did anything else to get this to play smoothly. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server side deinterlacing?0