Please help a newby
(2015-01-20, 00:08)Magoo Wrote: My problem is in the hardware recommendations Wiki I can't make heads or tails out of it.

If you are talking about http://kodi.wiki , there are no exact device recommendations. As noticed on Devices (wiki), that is just a listing of pages that people have made for device-specific info. Some of the best devices don't have or need a specific page on the wiki because they work so easily, or just don't otherwise have special notes.
I've been into media streaming (in one form or another) for some time now. Was happy with my Hacked boxee box, moved on to streaming from ios and android based tablets and played around with various htpc set ups. Recently got an android set top box to bypass airplay and chromecast, and could not be any happier. Streaming apps on android (ShowBox & HDcinema in particular) work very well, and there is no longer a need to download movies and maintain a library.

I got the Minix Neo x8-H and can only recommend it. Showbox and Hdcinema work perfect on this and much more. The reason why you should go with android is the abundance of apps for that platform.

The minix comes with a custom version of xbmc and is very stable. If you want ease of use, good hardware, good support and updates I would get the minix. Get an air mouse with a keyboard with it though. It's meant to be controlled that way.
honestly I dont have positive experience with Minix products, thus I have X8-H version, where first one I returned to seller due issues on Wifi and device was getting hot and usually it know to stuck when playing a movie from NAS. I was lucky that dealer send me 2nd one, but again issues are poor wifi performance and stability which is even not improved from 003 to 004 Firmware version, stuttering at IPTV playback with Simple IPTV client, still 23.976 is not properly played rather they used some dirty fix which is not giving good results and my Onkyo dislike SPDIF and HDMI passthrough and cant lock signal Sad I reported all at their official forum but as always they remain silent.
(2015-04-28, 02:46)techespaces Wrote: honestly I dont have positive experience with Minix products, thus I have X8-H version, where first one I returned to seller due issues on Wifi and device was getting hot and usually it know to stuck when playing a movie from NAS. I was lucky that dealer send me 2nd one, but again issues are poor wifi performance and stability which is even not improved from 003 to 004 Firmware version, stuttering at IPTV playback with Simple IPTV client, still 23.976 is not properly played rather they used some dirty fix which is not giving good results and my Onkyo dislike SPDIF and HDMI passthrough and cant lock signal Sad I reported all at their official forum but as always they remain silent.

Sorry to hear you're having wifi issues. Wifi on my X8-H Plus is superior to any signal I was getting on any other machine (not surprising given the huge antenna). Nevertheless, I would advise against using wifi, in particular if you want to stream larger files. Use the ethernet for better stability. I've been streaming +15gig HD files from my server without a problem. Performance and sound were far superior to what I've experienced with the boxee box and HDMI passthrough to my receiver worked as it should (haven't tried HD audio yet, but should work. Dolby Digital and DTS were fine). I no longer have the need to stream from my server however, as there are android apps out there that negate the need for keeping files locally or managing a library.

The poster of this threat was asking specifically about the "ShowBox" app. You need android for this and I honestly do not know a better way to access this other than the minix. It's the best android box on the market currently (based on own experience and reviews). Yes you can install the ShowBox add on in XBMC/KODI, but the experience is not the same as your scrolling through lists rather than an interactive library.
Can't beat a Pi2 for the price and what it can do. Yeah, you won't be able to get 5.1 out of it but it's the best damn media player for the money.

I've owned one for nearly 3 months and have never regretted the purchase. All the problems that plagued the original are now gone. Files load quickly, youtube streams smoothly with no buffering, 1080p included. All I did was look up some videos on how to tweak some settings and optimize video and I was good to go. It has played everything I've thrown at it all in 24p glory.

I was considering an Android box but for less than $100 bucks, the Pi2 is truly amazing for video playback. All I needed to add was a Logitech K400 (mouse with keyboard) and was good to go. I've read that most Android boxes are really problematic and glitchy. My Pi2 has only frozen up 3 times since I've owned it and all I have to do is unplug it and re-plug it back and it boots in less than 30 secs.

Trust me, get a Pi2.
Own my minix 2 months now and no glitches or freezes yet. (Minix pushed another ota update couple of days ago... Those guys are on the ball) You need android if you want android apps. Local media is dead.

pi2'is great, especially great value, but if you can dish out enough cash for a flatscreen and a surround system then a 100$ +\- make little difference

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help a newby0