Fanart not overwriting
Hello

I've got a bit of a problem with fanart not being overwritten.

I have a pretty large music collection, 35k+ tracks, many of which are pretty obscure blues and world music performers that no scraper is ever going to pick up. For this reason I've always tended to use my own fanart, I've been doing it a long time and I know what I'm about.

Today I found an image I wanted to use, put it in the requisite folder, pointed artist information at it, and it's duly displayed. But it was very blurred, despite being a pretty high res pic, so I found another to replace it and repeated the procedure, except that it wouldn't overwrite, despite the original image no longer being on the system. When I drill down through artist information to the image in question, it's still the old one, even though the new one is now in the artist's folder on my server. This has happened a couple of times, yet when I tried to do something similar with another file it worked perfectly.

Something that may have a bearing is that the artist in question is on a compilation CD. I've created a folder to contain the artwork so the path is:

NAS server/Music/iTunes/compilations/The Classic Experience/Academy of St Martins in the Field/fanart.jpg. In this case fanart.jpg is the new picture that I want to use.

But if the problem was it being a compilation why did it find and show the fanart in the first place?

The alteration that worked perfectly was a named artist in her own stand alone folder, rather than a compilation.

I've tried rebooting, both the XIOS box and the NAS server, no difference.

So I'm rather mystified. I've checked time and again to see if I've accidently changed a setting but cannot find one if I have, and in any case this isn't anything that I haven't done many times before. I use Transparency! but have tried it out with Confluence with exactly the same result, so I don't think that it's a skin issue.

Set up is:

Linux XIOS box running Helix
Transparency!
Library on NAS server
Expert settings

I'm perfectly prepared to be told that I'm doing something so obviously wrong that only a complete idiot could have managed it, it'd be a small price to pay to get this sorted. Obviously I've had a trawl around the various forums trying to find an answer, but nothing that exactly matches this issue, so any help, comments or similar will be gratefully received.
I'm having issues with fanart for obscure artists myself. Unfortunately, Kodi seems to be a bit weird about fanart for music artists. However, you can try setting the proper fanart by hand (using the info menu in most skins - Confluence will certainly support it). Then once it's set, you must go to Settings -> Music Library, and export the library (should be at the very bottom). Choose to do it in separate files. It should (keyword - should) overwrite the existing fanart in your folders.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but the issue isn't getting the fanart in the first place, it's changing that installed fanart if required as in the instance quoted where it was very blurry. I've just tried again with a thumbnail, with the same result. In this case the picture I imported needed taking up from the bottom in order not to lose the artist's head, this was done in Photoshop, saved, and then I attempted to replace the original but, as before, it will not overwrite. It's the correct one in the library, but for some reason Kodi isn't seeing it. Is there now a setting somewhere that says allow overwriting, or the like? The frustrating thing is that this is an operation that I've carried out many many times over the years, without a scrap of trouble.

I did, however, try your export library suggestion but to no avail. So I'll keep on plugging away at a solution.
Hmm, perhaps photoshop saved it with some incompatible jpeg attributes? Maybe check permissions nn the image? Try replacing it using the UI (highlight artist -> info -> choose artwork, or something like that, depends on the skin). Try any image, and see if it holds up.

If it appears, try doing the library export again, and hopefully it should be fixed.
The blurred fanart is being displayed from your texture cache, not your LAN. You need to remove the blurred version from the texture cache (delete the file from the Thumbnails folder AND the row from Textures13.db), then the updated version in your LAN will be re-cached next time you display it.

There are tools to help with this (see sig). Or wait several days and Kodi should replace the blurred image automatically (there's a background process that runs periodically to update the cache with artwork that has been changed).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thank you both for your replies.

I think I'll leave it a few days to see if it auto-corrects. I've had a look at the tools mentioned, and, although I have used such things in the past, this looks a bit grown up for me!

Will probably give it a go eventually though, if the situation doesn't resolve itself.

I'm just completely mystified as to why it's decided to start happening now. It does seem a little bit too much of a coincidence that I install the updated version of Helix, and then have this issue.

Ho hum

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fanart not overwriting0