openmediavault
does anyone here use openmediavault ? can it be easily used as a tv backend , i say easily because i`m a total noob with server/nas software . im pretty good with windows tho and xbmc/kodi . thanks in advance
Hi I use openmediavault have done since 2012 and works flawlessly for what i need. however am not sure about your query.

i would recommend looking on the openmediavault forum they are very active there as i remember seeing some threads about tv related plugins.
thanks . i guess the best thing is to just take the plunge and see what i learn along the way lol . i`ve had a bit of a look on there but there seems to be compiling/coding/messing around to do to get pvr backends working . never used linux so that would all be new to me . wish me luck lol
Good luck and ask questions there there helpful am sure someone wrote a step by step guide on it before could of even of been made into a plugin by now.

Either way it's based on Debian wheezy so very easy to do things with the os
OMV works great. Setting it up can be a little tricky with shares and permission I suggest don't use ACL.

There is a VDR plugin but that requires some config in config files if I am not mistaken. Some are also running TVH which can be configured vie web interface.
thank for the advice . yeah i`d heard it would run tvheadend with some tinkering . its my first attemp at building a nas and using omv . so i`m trying to learn whatever i can before i take the plunge . fingers crossed theres an easy way for me lol
Frankly I think you'd be better running a normal Linux distro. They all share files like you want a nas to do. But (for example) mythbuntu will make setting up a pvr backend much easier.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-23, 22:02)nickr Wrote: Frankly I think you'd be better running a normal Linux distro. They all share files like you want a nas to do. But (for example) mythbuntu will make setting up a pvr backend much easier.
OMV is "a normal Linux distro" It is Debian Wheezy (Ubuntu is based on Debian).

While you can install a full desktop, that sort of defeats the purpose of OMV.

I surmise the OP want to run a tv back end. You can manually install one if you are comfortable with a linux command line but really what I think the OP wants is a tv back end that is wrapped in an OMV plug in wrapper. That would be easy peasy if one is available and you would be able to keep you OMV server a headless unit.

paulsk231, are you a hobbyist or you just want to watch TV? If you are a hobbyist OMV is AWESOME. If there is a TV back end already packaged as an OMV plug in, you are gold. If you are adventurous then setting up any Linux TV back end is doable.
Unfortunately debian is not the most multimedia friendly distro, which is why I suggested mythhbuntu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-24, 14:10)nickr Wrote: Unfortunately debian is not the most multimedia friendly distro, which is why I suggested mythhbuntu.
I don't quite follow you. Can you expand on why debian is not multimedia friendly?

The context I see this in is that we are looking for a back end server. Mythbuntu out of the box is both a front end and a back end. Running OMV on a combo Front End/Back End box does not make sense.

For a front end, debian is very GPL so out of the box, the various codecs and drivers needed for audio and video to play MAY not be installed "out of the box", but that does not stop the installation of non-GPL software afterwords.

Really the only questions are
  1. Does OMV already have a TV back end plug in
  2. Is it the TV back end I want
  3. Is my Linux knowledge strong enough to install the back end of my own choosing

My only problem in setting up a TV backend is that I have a HDHomeRun cablecard tuner, my cable provider is TWC and TWC marks EVERYTHING except OTA channels "copy once". ***BIG SIGH*** Windoze Media Center is just not a very compelling Front End and running Kodi and WMC together was eventually just too much trouble.

I cut the cord then went out and bought an eye patch with a parrot to perch on my shoulder. I have not looked back.

I also have an apple TV to give me my Netflix. When HBO Go is available without a cable subscription, I'm getting that too. DRM and Kodi just don't mix well.
For example both mythtv and kodi have internal versions of ffmpeg rather than linking to ffmpeg. This practice is frowned on by debian and leads to packaging problems.

Mythtv is a great backend. It is compiled and packaged for Ubuntu on a regular basis, so the fixes version is always available on Ubuntu. Mythbuntu is a light version of Ubuntu with easy setup for mythtv. The mythfrontend is optional. You do get a GUI but you don't need to use it. I use it as a myth backend and for file serving. Therefore I recommended it to you as an alternative.

I have never used myth on debian, but you may be able to simply install the myth packages.
Ubuntu server and webmin.
im a hobbiest smitopher, i have absolutely no knowledge of linux so i was hoping for an easy peasy plugin for omv . i think i`ll be going with omv anyway , even if theres no way i can add my tv card to it . it would have been handy but now essential
(2015-01-26, 20:05)paulsk231 Wrote: im a hobbiest smitopher, i have absolutely no knowledge of linux so i was hoping for an easy peasy plugin for omv . i think i`ll be going with omv anyway , even if theres no way i can add my tv card to it . it would have been handy but now essential

I have NO IDEA how well this is implemented, I only checked if it existed

Quote:openmediavault-vdr

Version | Repo: 0.5.6 | sardaukar-vdr
Version | Repo: 1.0.2 | kralizec-vdr
Source: link
Maintainer: S-V-S subzeroin
Description: VDR plugin for OpenMediaVault
Video Disk Recorder (VDR) is creates a digital video recorder using standard PC components. It is possible to receive, record and playback digital TV broadcasts compatible with the DVB and ATSC standards.

VDR also masters time shifting, that is, a broadcast can be recorded to hard disk and played back at once or after some time, but still while recording. This way one can jump over commercial or halt the playback to go to the kitchen,... If there is more than one DVB card in the system, it is possible to record more than one broadcast at a time. This is already possible with only one DVB card, but only those who are broadcasted from one transponder only.

http://omv-extras.org/simple/index.php?i...ins-stable

So there is one plug in for you.
absolutley brilliant news . theres already a kodi plugin for vdr . i should hurry up and build it now

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
openmediavault1