Samsung Chromebox
(2015-04-21, 15:45)Skadad Wrote: I have the same hardware as mentioned in this thread, Samsung Chromebox /w Sandybridge CPU (Intel i5-2450M).

Through this guide I have managed to get a dualboot up and running with ChromeOS and Chrubuntu: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/132...s-device/2.
In this guide, rather then replacing the firmware, it is recommended to switch the original BIOS to dev mode. This seems to be sufficient to enable dualboot.
Does that mean that it should now be possible to run a generic OpenElec build on the unit, or would that still require a custom firmware to be able to install and run?

no, ChrUbuntu on that device is still booting a ChromeOS kernel, it's not using the legacy BIOS because it doesn't have one. If you want to run OpenELEC, you need the legacy BIOS to boot it, which means you need to install a custom firmware.
Hi all, in a similar predicament. Have the same hardware as many have noted on here.. Samsung Chromebox i5, looking to flash a new BIOS on it so I could have exclusively Linux on it. Could someone point me toward some instructions on how to flash the BIOS? (Plus anyone have any tips on what msata works, heard it can be a bit fussy)
(2015-07-23, 19:03)lassaiz-meh Wrote: Hi all, in a similar predicament. Have the same hardware as many have noted on here.. Samsung Chromebox i5, looking to flash a new BIOS on it so I could have exclusively Linux on it. Could someone point me toward some instructions on how to flash the BIOS? (Plus anyone have any tips on what msata works, heard it can be a bit fussy)

- disable the firmware write protect via the jumper as per this link
- put in developer mode
- follow instructions for using my ChromeBox Kodi EZ setup script (link in sig) to flash the firmware
- install whatever OS you want (other than Windows)

shouldn't be any mSATA flakiness with the new firmware
(2015-07-23, 19:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-07-23, 19:03)lassaiz-meh Wrote: Hi all, in a similar predicament. Have the same hardware as many have noted on here.. Samsung Chromebox i5, looking to flash a new BIOS on it so I could have exclusively Linux on it. Could someone point me toward some instructions on how to flash the BIOS? (Plus anyone have any tips on what msata works, heard it can be a bit fussy)

- disable the firmware write protect via the jumper as per this link
- put in developer mode
- follow instructions for using my ChromeBox Kodi EZ setup script (link in sig) to flash the firmware
- install whatever OS you want (other than Windows)

shouldn't be any mSATA flakiness with the new firmware

Matt,
Further to your help on your other thread, can i do the above and dual boot on my Samsung series 3 chromebox i5 model ?
Thank you.
(2016-08-04, 07:19)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Further to your help on your other thread, can i do the above and dual boot on my Samsung series 3 chromebox i5 model ?
Thank you.

no, the older Samsung Chromebox cannot be dual booted, only standalone. Plz see the link in quoted post for the jumper you need to short in order to disable the firmware write-protect
(2016-08-04, 17:48)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-04, 07:19)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Thank you.

no, the older Samsung Chromebox cannot be dual booted, only standalone. Plz see the link in quoted post for the jumper you need to short in order to disable the firmware write-protect

Matt,
Will do, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Chromebox0