Linux VDR timeshifting RAM or SSD
I wonder what is the best way to have timeshifting under Openelec 5 (Helix) running VDR VNSI? I need pause, skip back and ff only (so no rewind or forward).
If I'm correct, Kodi supports only a single defined step size for skip back/ff, while the more advanced additive seeking is a work in progress: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5407 ) So, at the moment, I can jump the default 30s back/ff in timeshifting buffer.

I have 4GB RAM (-the part that OE needs), can I configure VDR to store the timeshift buffer in RAM or should I use the SSD instead? How much HD and SD content can be stored in a 4GB RAM system? What happens when the buffer reaches the maximum memory available, will it start over again and delete the older content?

Thanks!
Kodi has small step and big step (10min). With those two you can normally step very fast to the desired position.
90 min of HD occupies approximately 10-12 GB on disk.
iirc if you pause that long that the ring buffer reaches maximum size, it will not overwrite existing buffer but drop new packets.
I guess SSD's are cheap enough to waste as a cache drive. But waste is the key word... all those writes will eat away at the life of the drive.

Ramdisk is usually a better option if you have memory to spare.

Kodi steps can be set in advancesettings for less then 10mins, but this doesn't cap time shifting file size. Usually PVR backend has its own internal control.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
good point. I have my timeshift buffer and video directory on a cheap external 2.5 HDD drive connected via USB 2.0. important to note that it is ext4 formatted. ntfs won't work because it eats to much CPU
Hi! I use vdr with vnsi. Is it possible to have ONLY pause and not skip back? in this way it would not be recorded every program but only when I pause the channel...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDR timeshifting RAM or SSD0