Cannot NFS browse from a different subnet.
Hello, apologies for asking a question that has possibly been answered before but searching for "nfs" was impossible. And any keyword combinations returned more results than I could go through. So here's my setup in a very simple way:

[NFS Server] ---:LAN_port_1[Router A]LAN_port_2: ---- :WAN_port[Router B]LAN_port_1: ---- [Kodi Client Box]

Router A (LAN address: 192.168.1.1) has Internet access, and as part of its LAN network a media server which acts as an NFS server exists. Browsing its NFS shares from any Kodi client within that LAN works fine. Another router, Router B, is connected from its WAN port to Router A's LAN port. Consequently, Router B has WAN IP 192.168.1.101 and LAN IP 192.168.10.1 (Router B's network). A Kodi client is connected to Router B's LAN port with an IP 192.168.10.102. This Kodi Client Box, although it can access the NFS shares if added manually, is impossible to browse for new shares. For example, when adding a new source, I would expect the IP of the NFS server to show up and then let me drill down to the individual share. But instead it loads for a few seconds and then takes me back to the same "Browse for new share" screen.

So, the short version of the issue is that NFS shares are browsable from Router A's LAN, and not browsable from Router B's LAN. I suspect that it is probably my setup but unfortunately I am a newbie when it comes to network administration. Can you guys please help me out? The reason why these two routers exist is because I wanted to extend my network (and Internet access) to a room that is quite far from where Router A is.

Thanks a lot Blush

As an added note, I should say that this setup has worked in the past. I recently upgraded the OS on the NFS server and since then this issue has come up. For the record its xubuntu 14.04.01 LTS
Why didn't you bridge those 2 networks? Whats the reason for driving 2 different subnets? (which also has performance impact because of the needed routing which hits the CPU of router b).

Also i would suggest to ask your question on https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs/issues ans aks what there prerequesites are for getting the browsing for nfs servers to work. (libnfs is the library we use to achieve nfs support and it is in charge when it comes to finding nfs serversr in the network).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks for the advice, appreciate your help - here are the available connection types, unfortunately Bridge is not there:

http://imgur.com/LFxixi2

This is router B:

http://equipment-wi-fi-and-bluetooth.b4b...55064.html
Yeah just use one of the lan ports on router 2 and be done (basically use it as a switch here). Thats why i use openwrt on all my routers - there i can configure the switch so that the wanport gets added to the normal lan ports for example.

I doubt in the original firmware there is a way to say "make the wan port act like a normal lan port). Using the wanport here results in the problem you have that you need to have 2 subnets and software routing on the router between those.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
So, I'll just turn off DHCP, and plug the cable coming from Router A, from the WAN port of Router 2 to a LAN port of Router 2. Right?

Do you know what will happen to the WiFi clients of Router B?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions.
Though this is really unrelated to Kodi - but i call it a crash course in networking or something Wink

This all assumes that Router A has a DHCP Sever running. You should configure it in a way that the dynamic range starts somewhere save. For example set it up in a way that ips from 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150 are served by DHCP - this leaves the first 99 IPs for static reservation.

Now after you have assured the upper config on Router A - do the following (order matters to not lock you out Wink ).

1. Disable the DHCP of Router B (it would influence badly with the DHCP which is running on Router A)
2. Change the IP of Router B to one of subnet A (don't use one of the dynamic range but one of the static - f.e. 192.168.1.2)
3. Connect a cable from a LAN port of Router A to a LAN port of Router B (WAN port of Router B stays empty!)
4. Now you should be able to access the Router B Config interface by using the IP from point 1. Also all your clients should be rebooted or somehow forced to pull a new IP. They should now get an IP from Router A which is in the range of 192.168.1.100 - 150

Thats it. The WIFI Clients on Router B are already bridged to the LAN switch of Router B - so they also will get the IP Adresses from the DHCP Server on Router A. Now you should have 1 subnet only and all the 192.168.10.xxx IPs should be gone.
I have now done what you suggested and things seem to be running smooth. Thank you very much! The only problem is that, since Router B is not a dhcp server, can no longer be accessed via a browser as it has no IP.

Edit: I hadn't seen your response before posting, so I'll go through it and let you know if I still have this issue.
Edit 2: I made a mistake and set the IP of Router B to be within the DHCP range or Router A. I need to try and access Router B's interface now somehow.
Thank you for your invaluable help - I am now able to access Router B as you said.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot NFS browse from a different subnet.1