• 2(current)
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations
I'm sorry I tried to help. I was specifically reporting things that are clearly listed in your Kodi trademark guidelines. The whole "XBMC Addons for Kodi" doesn't seem to go against your trademark guidelines in any way, since it says "Addons for Kodi" and not "Kodi Addons."

I had previously asked several members of Team-XBMC about our site and was told that everything was good. Please send me a private message with any changes that you'd like made, which will be done.

There is nothing at our site that tries to "impersonate" XBMC or deceive people.

Don't forget that the issue here was trademark violation, all the sites I listed were in clear violation, whereas our site is not.

It's nice to see that this has turned into a which hunt against me, instead of being used productively to identify real violations of your trademark.

I'd appreciate if this thread could be deleted as most of the last replies contain no violation on our part, but give readers the impression that something was violated, basically acting as slander towards us.
I've read this thread several times, and have gone back and re-read the trademark guidelines again and have now changed what was requested in this thread. I am very sorry about that "title" I didn't think it was deceiving personally since the site marks in many different locations that it is "unofficial" (including twice on every page of the addon library) and such.

I don't know if anyone remembers but we also had a "red" Firefox-style notice bar at the top of our site for the first three months of launch that clearly stated that we were an unofficial site at the top of the browser window.

If you check back, you'll now see that it is marked unofficial.

I also just posted the following message to Facebook and Twitter: "We just wanted to make it clear to everybody that the addons we develop are unofficial and it's important that users not confuse them with official Kodi addons. That's it for now!"

As for SR, I wasn't concerned about the title as much as I was concerned with the page content that uses the term "Kodi Addons" many times over.

By the way, I was under the impression that I had finally made it into your "good books" here, otherwise I would have never dared to post in this forum, I was trying to help, my intentions are never negative.

I'm always strongly voicing to people that question your policies that without Team-XBMC there would be nothing for us, so my primary concern is maintaining the best possible relations with you given the circumstances.
It's cool, everyone calm down. Just read what Kib said.

There's still some lingering tension with groups like tvaddons/hub and superrep, but things are improving, so it's all good. Let's just keep on that path, and everyone (mostly everyone) will be happy.
Thank you, again I want you guys all to know that I more than anyone understand the need for Kodi to not be directly associated with any sketchiness. Please feel free to let me know anything that is of concern in the future and assuming its reasonable I will make the necessary changes.

You guys make all this possible, we're all forever indebted to you and the Foundation. I'm your number one fan, literally.
(2015-01-21, 05:02)Eleazar Coding Wrote: There is nothing at our site that tries to "impersonate" XBMC or deceive people.

For fun, here are two images. Let us see how many people on this forum can tell me which image comes from the "Unofficial XBMC Addons for Kodi" site, which still isn't named using your own name. And which one comes from Kodi.tv/download. The rules are simple. You can't visit either site. You have to just guess based on what you see.

Here's Image #1.

Here's Image #2.

There is a clue to the difference in there at the moment, but that clue requires at least a bit of thought and disregarding another clue that confuses the issue.

Here's the thing. it doesn't matter how many times you say on individual twitter posts that you aren't us. The important thing is you make clear that you are you and not us. Which is different. It's possible that maybe you don't understand that, because you don't have a legal background or aren't particularly familiar with trademark law. So to make this easier, I'll list the 8 factors that determine likelihood of confusion, the most important issue in the world of trademark violation according to the courts. And I'll do it publically, both so it can be entirely clear to you and everyone at TV Addons, and it can be clear to anyone else interested in going down this road in the future.

8 Factors
  1. the similarity in the overall impression created by the two marks (including the marks' look, phonetic similarities, and underlying meanings);
  2. the similarities of the goods and services involved (including an examination of the marketing channels for the goods);
  3. the strength of the plaintiff's mark;
  4. any evidence of actual confusion by consumers;
  5. the intent of the defendant in adopting its mark;
  6. the physical proximity of the goods in the retail marketplace;
  7. the degree of care likely to be exercised by the consumer; and
  8. the likelihood of expansion of the product lines.

There's the list. Now let's analyze it with relation to your site, going through each factor individually.

the similarity in the overall impression
1. This is easily the most important thing, though there are ways to mitigate the problem. Right now, your title is similar to ours and overlaps quite a lot, given that everything in your title suggests you are us except the word "Unofficial." This almost complete overlap is at least a warning sign under #1. Not a great way to start.

For the remainder of this discussion, we'll make up another website, which I'm going to call Brazilian Fans of Kodi, to use as a comparison. That title doesn't overlap nearly as much under #1, since It's got both Brazilian and Fans in there, neither of which could be confused as us. It still uses our name, but in a much less confusing way.

the similarities of the goods and services
2. The similarity of the goods and services involved completely overlaps as well. We both provide addons. We both provide binaries that can run those addons. And while you have done a good job in renaming your binary, you still CALL it one of our names on your website, as is pretty obvious in the picture above. So not only are you overlapping on this level, you are naming that overlap wrongly again. If we look at Brazilian Fans of Kodi, they don't provide what we provide, either in addons or in binaries, so they have no problem. That's another strike against you that wouldn't be a strike against them.

the strength of the plaintiff's mark
3. People in this community VERY strongly associate the names XBMC and Kodi with us. So if someone else comes in and uses those names in their titles and to describe their apps that are being downloaded, then the community is much more likely to be confused by that word association. Another mark against you. And a mark against Brazilian Fans, I suppose. Though nobody associates us with Brazilian Fans, so at least there's some clearing there that you haven't really got.

any evidence of actual confusion by consumers
4. I mean, do I need to go into depth on evidence of confusion? Chinese manufacturers are confused. Engadget and Ars Technica was confused. Users are constantly confused and asking us in the forum, in social media, and elsewhere. And I'm still curious to see just how many people will be able to say which of those images above comes from us. I'll grant you that you've reformed some since the Engadget/Ars bungle. But the rest are happening literally right now. I'm going to guess nobody would ever be confused by a site called Brazilian Fans of Kodi.

the intent
5. I don't know your intent. My guess is that you want to use those names because they help you with SEO. Which means you want to get people who are searching for Kodi or XBMC. Which means you are trying to get our users. In itself, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you've already violated the previous 4 factors, that gets a lot less cool, very quickly. The clear intent of a site called Brazilian Fans of Kodi is to say that they are brazilian fans of Kodi. Not that they are Kodi. That one is simple.

the physical proximity of the goods
6. I did some research into what "physical proximity" meant for online, and it basically means do we use similar marketing channels. And I mean, the obvious answer there is yes. We're both online only. We both are heavy social media orgs. We're both working on maintaining our page rank on google. You get the idea. We use the same channels. Here's another area where Brazilian Fans overlaps with us. Though they actually probably might also have physical meetups in Rio and Brazilia, so maybe not quite as much of a match.

the degree of care likely to be exercised by the consumer
7. As pointed out in #4, consumers/users don't care at all. They mostly don't even know there could be a difference, so the chances of them actually paying close enough attention to scroll past the fold to find your disclaimer is roughly 0%. This would definitely not be the case for Brazilian Fans. Brazilian Fans actually looking for other locals to share their love of Kodi aren't going to accidentally end up in British Fans of Kodi or any other site. They know exactly what they're looking for.

the likelihood of expansion of the product lines
8. This question is really only for if our products differ. Beyond the fact that you primarily deal in piracy addons, we deal in basically the exact same things. Apps and addons. I guess the only difference is that we also provide a remote control for iOS. I don't know if you have any plans in that regard, but for now we'll assume we don't need to worry about this one. Needless to say, Brazilian Fans of Kodi are never going to make products, so there's no chance of expanding into our production.

So there you go. At the moment, you are confusing to users on 7 of the 8 factors normally used by courts for deciding such things. And the only reason you aren't confusing on the 8th factor is because there's basically no more room for expansion. And I'm saying you are confusing right now. At this very moment.

Suggestions for Change

The point of that discussion was not to do a witch hunt. The point was to show you exactly what is problematic. The same test can be done on super repo, and he probably also violates many of the same things, though I think he does a better job of actually pushing his name "Super Repo." But just because there are problem areas now doesn't mean we're always going to be at each other's neck.

If you really want to be on our good side, we need to work out the confusion, so you can drop quite a few of those factors. Some of them you can't. For example, you provide addons and apps. I'm not going to ask you to stop. So there's not much to be done with #2. But I'll provide some tips for the rest.

1. Differentiate yourself. For real. Don't call your site "Unofficial XBMC Addons for Kodi." That's not different at all. You have a name. Use it. Call your site "TV Addons." Or "Unofficial TV Addons for Kodi" if you absolutely must use the word Kodi. Your site's name is not XBMC Addons. It is TV Addons. That doesn't wholly fix #1, but it gets closer.

2. When linking to TVMC downloads, don't call it XBMC or Kodi. Don't use the words XBMC or Kodi directly above the link in order to confuse the users as to what the link means. On the page, actually call it TVMC for Windows. And TVMC for OSX. Etc. Use your name. And don't use our name right next to your name.

3. Don't use our download design. Try to refrain from using our design anywhere. For example, let's see if people can guess which addons list is yours and which is ours.

and

They look almost identical and literally use the same icons. Surely there are some CC icons out there that can be used instead.

4. Keep your disclaimer above the fold. And if it's too ugly up there, use some other sort of simple way to make clear to people that we are different groups. We appreciate that you put the warning up for a few months. You don't have to leave something ugly up forever, but you do need to keep something nice looking and clear forever easily visible, if you're going to otherwise use our name and offer competing "products" as us.

5. I still don't know what "Powered by Kodi" means. My suggestion: Just drop the phrase. Or at least tell me what you meant by it.

Conclusion

And I think that's all I've got. I apologize for being so harsh before, but I hadn't visited your site in quite some time, and all the layers of confusion struck me in a pretty negative way upon seeing it. I really would be happy to work with you guys in the effort to clear up confusion, rather than against you. And I hope this walkthrough is a first step in that regard.
^^ what he said.
I don't see an issue with the addon listing - there are several sites out there that use our opensourced frontend with little modification. If we don't want others to use the same layout on it as we do, we should probably split up the github repo and only have the pure code part public while having a private repo with the design part of it. Or we should at least mention it somewhere in the readme.
Firstly, I want to say that I'm not trying to argue, I respect all of you incredibly; but some things aren't entirely reasonable, specifically those "factors that determine the likelyhood of confusion" - nothing on our site is deliberately confusing anyone - I can't help it if an educated "journalist" can't distinguish the difference between official and unofficial, especially considering our domain name is totally different from yours and that we've followed all your trademark guidelines to the tee. I can't help it either if some Chinese profiteer who barely speaks English doesn't take the time to distinguish the difference either.,

I have made several changes however, and will be getting the icons on the addons library changed as soon as I can:

1. I've now changed the title again to "Unofficial Addons for XBMC & Kodi" - seems clear enough to me.

2. Those aren't download links, they link to guides, and in each of the guides we link to your web site (not direct download link) as part of the installation instructions - so users have to visit the official web site to download XBMC, we don't host or direct link to your downloads at all.

3. If you're going to post those icons, you might as well take a full screenshot of our site and then ask users if they can differentiate, which they surely can. You also failed to screenshot the disclaimer that was immediately underneath every page of that section that clearly states that we are unofficial.

4. I can't imagine how we can be legitimately expected to put a disclaimer "above the fold" - we can't even fit any of our page content above the fold, it would kill the site. The disclaimer is on the footer of every single page of the site, and it's also posted twice on every page of the addon library already.

5. As far as the phrase "Powered by Kodi" goes, how else would you describe the use of unofficial addons? It has been in our logo since day one and several staff members gave us the go-ahead, it also abides by your trademark guidelines.

---------------

I still really think that it's unfair to be ganging up on me, we provide a good service for the community, and good supprot for newbies. Those other sites mentioned violate your trademark guidelines over and over, they display no disclaimers, yet nothing is being done to them at all.

How about we just close our site? Do you think that would help the community out? It would be nice if you guys would stop seeing us as the "enemy" for providing a service that you have chosen not to provide on an official basis.

XBMC / Kodi is my favourite thing in the world, how about making me feel a little bit like I'm part of the community too, isn't that what open source is all about?
Those factors are the legal definition. I can't help it if you think they are unfair. If there were ever a court decision, those are the factors that would be used to determine if you were violating our trademark. And any conclusion would not be "change x, y, and z." The conclusion would be to shut down the site and pay reparations.

The thing is, we don't want to shut down your site and the way you can tell we aren't trying to shut down your site is we are talking to you. We are not talking to our lawyer.

Instead, I'm laying out for you the simple reality. We have to get you closer to not being confusing by those factors, or there is always going to be tension between our groups. When you picked a new domain, I think we all believed you were essentially selecting a brand based on that domain. The fact that you made a logo to go along with you new brand name seemed to really emphasize this decision. On social media, you're even mostly doing a fine job sticking to the brand. The only place where there are issues is with the site itself, as far as I can tell.

As for the powered by Kodi thing, let me get back to you. I still haven't found anything in the trademark policy that says people can use the Kodi name as part of their own logo or use the phrase powered by Kodi. If you think you have found such a section, feel free to link it. Either way, that sure seems like giving quite a lot of name control away to me, so we will almost certainly need to talk about it internally.
(2015-01-21, 11:50)da-anda Wrote: I don't see an issue with the addon listing - there are several sites out there that use our opensourced frontend with little modification. If we don't want others to use the same layout on it as we do, we should probably split up the github repo and only have the pure code part public while having a private repo with the design part of it. Or we should at least mention it somewhere in the readme.

The addon listing by itself isn't an issue. The issue is that it's yet another piece of a larger confusing whole. No single factor determines anything. It's the factors altogether that matter.
Also, no, making a person feel like he is part of the community is not what open source is about. Clearly you haven't ever seen Linus Torvalds rant on somebody for being stupid.

Open source is about freely distributing code so that it can be constantly improved over time and generally help people. There really isn't any kind of human aspect to FOSS.

Now, we try to make a fairly open, friendly community for our users and up and down stream developers. But generally speaking I think we tend not to feel obliged to extend that curtesy towards those who - even unintentionally- use our name to cause confusion about what our organization does and stands for.

The biggest difference between most of those sites and yours is nobody has heard of them. And also many of them are literally just following your lead. So in theory, if we can fix the issues on your site, odds are that many issues on other sites will simply fix themselves.
Some things that I personally notice when going to your site:

1) "What is KODI? The future of television" - video that directly tells you that XBMC will show you cool illegal video streams. First thing on the site, and one of the most annoyingly things ever made.
2) All the links titled "XBMC for <whatever>". You don't have XBMC or Kodi there, but it suggests you do. The install links just link to our download page, which incidentally looks exactly the same as the page we previously saw, and does not mention that you need to get it from the official server - there could be a lot less confusion there by just rewording stuff and choosing different icons. A blurb of text where you state that you use a open source program made by us and modify it (heavily) to include addons, have different config etc etc would help people understand the seperation as well.

We are not ganging up on you at all - you come here to complain yourself. Realize that most of those other sites are not hitting as many of the 8 points which Nate outlined.
Just because we respond to you here doesn't mean we are not talking to them as well. - The sites are mentioned here by people who find them so we can check whether we need to do something about it.

Also, XBMChub set a lot of bad blood by things like that video trailer right there, as well as the emails in which you have stated over and over that 'XBMC is the way to watch illegal video streams'. That is exactly what we do not want.
You can rebrand, as you have done, and say "TVMC is the way to watch illegal video streams", "TVAddons allows you to watch this for free" or "By installing the free and opensource Kodi software from the official website at kodi.tv and then modifying it with our installer, we will add illegal video streaming addons to it." or any of a million other ways in which you make it clear that Kodi / XBMC does not do this themselves.

Ultimately, if we become associated with illegality, the entire project could end. You being our biggest fan, you would want to go out of your way to distance yourselve as much as possible from us.
Clarify on the site that you are you, and your addons and installers add (often illegal) functionality to our open-source software and you will keep us safe, and happy.
*w00t* i should stop reading this thread really and care about development again ... but i am 100% loaded atm because of what i read here. As the biggest fan you should really care to not get us developers against you. (this is a personal statement with my opinion - not a team statement). I am stinkesauer!

How appropriate - no our users do not confuse our teams - not at all:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1898854

They even post links in one and the same post to our and your site... think about it.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-01-20, 16:50)steelman1991 Wrote: And here was me thinking he was just helping the community out - talk about the 'pot calling the kettle black' - its more than ironic.
Agreed, I'm very surprised that this thread tuned out to be like a kingpin drug lord calling the cops on their small-time drug dealer competition.
(2015-01-21, 13:45)natethomas Wrote: Those factors are the legal definition. I can't help it if you think they are unfair. If there were ever a court decision, those are the factors that would be used to determine if you were violating our trademark. And any conclusion would not be "change x, y, and z." The conclusion would be to shut down the site and pay reparations.

Now that the Kodi-team is in good faith giving them a more than fair chance to improve and put an end to the confusion, let's all hope that they do take this opportunity to actually do so, and on the larger whole, not just on the small insignificant details, or else this might actually turn into a real witch hunt calling for the heads of people behind TVAddons/XBMCHub.

The thing is, we don't want to shut down your site and the way you can tell we aren't trying to shut down your site is we are talking to you. We are not talking to our lawyer.
I think that you made it very clear XBMC/Kodi would have been any commercial company with money to spend on lawyers then the people behind TVAddons/XBMCHub certainly would have been sued regardless if they found loopholes in the trademark guideline wording or not just to workaround how they can misrepresent themselves as an official XBMC/Kodi affiliate.
We actually have a lawyer who could probably do all the necessary work for us. It has so far been an internal decision not to pull her in to deal with this. Wondering what we would have done as a for profit isn't super useful because there are probably tons of other things we would have also done so that we might not even be in this spot. For example, I probably would have always included a picture of my dog in every blog post. Wink
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations0