PnP simple Qs - library sharing and watched status
After fighting my NAS (dlink sharecenter 320) for a couple of days I may need to admit defeat on getting the MySQL running, or kodi interfacing with it.. Long story..

I read the wiki on uPnP sharing but the info is a little light.. If I use uPnP sharing does it only share the library (thats how it reads) or does it include watched status and stop and resume on the nodes ??

Due to my home net being a collection of wired, wifi, and powerline I do face bandwidth limitations.. So if I set one of my android boxes as the uPnP 'server' does this just share the file location data (pointing to my NAS) or does it stream from the NAS, to the 'server' then back to the 'slave' nodes ?? Doing this would almost certainly make issues on my net for the higher bitrate files..

Lastly my NAS supports uPnP out of the box, but I am going to assume that this simply serves file data not Kodi library data (if uPnP does that as above).. There isnt a way here to somehow have the kodi data stored on the NAS and supplied via uPnP to the kodi nodes.. Eg the NAS hosting the server info similar to how it would with MySQL.

Sorry for simple questions, I did check the wiki..
Nodes are a part of the video library, so they are shared as well. Playlists are also shared. Plain file sources are also shared, but the watched and resume points for file sources via UPnP don't get saved.

I'm not sure if it does this on all protocols, but I believe for SMB and NFS protocols, only the URL is passed between server and client. It shouldn't double-stream videos using those.

You'll need an actual Kodi instance to act as a UPnP host.
Ok thanks.. Even if thats bad news..

So if uPnP doesnt sync watched its useless to me.. Sharing the filesource is simple.. Its the watched and pause / resume over all nodes I am needing to achieve..

So I am back to fighting this MySQL config install debug.. Grrrrr.. Failing to know why I cant get kodi to access the database.
I guess it wasn't clear. Watched and resume marks are shared over all nodes when using UPnP.
Ohh wow.. OK that is good news then..

Will have a go at working it that way..

So what does MySQL give that uPnP doesnt then ??
For the time being, UPnP doesn't really integrate like a local library, so you have to do things like edit the skin's home menu to point to your "TV shows" and "Movies", movie sets don't group automatically, and certain add-ons won't work, like NextAired. Library integration will be added in the future, so eventually it will be able to replace everything MySQL can do. For basic stuff, it works pretty good already.

Oh, and there's a couple of odd bugs. Like the watched/resume marks don't always show up on the client side right away. They're definitely being recorded, but it's like the client doesn't always know to refresh that data. I'm not sure what the status of that is.
hmm... OK..

This thread is a bit of a roller coaster of hope and expectation.. Will have a read on how to edit the clients to create a uniform look..

Wish I could just debug the damn MySQL...
Basically, just use a skin other than the default one. Most skins allow easy customization of the home menu items.
Intersted in this and see how it is resolved.......
I'm more interested in the security issues around UPnP.
Will enabling UPnP within Kodi (which implies it must be enabled within my router?) open me up to potential hacking?
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Nope, that's a totally different part of the UPnP spec. There's UPnP for routers that deal with port forwarding, and then there's UPnP A/V, which doesn't even touch your networking ports on the router.
Thanks Ned, so does that mean i can use UPnp within Kodi on my internat network and have UPnP turned off on my router (if the off button actually disables the UPnP service which in some routers it does not IIRC)?
Yes
I was just a little concerned as i planned to connect a few devices to the internet but found lots of posts about vulnerabilities in routers, video security systems and ip cameras (amoungst other devices).
None of the product manufacturers wanted to acknowledge or discuss such issues, in fact they stated there were no issue (but couldn't point to any fixes)...
Guess it's hard to get info from support script monkeys... (looking at you swann)...
It especially makes it hard to trust a security vendor that can't or wont discuss documented vulnerabilities on their products Huh

Luckily the Kodi community is much more open when discussing issues Nod

Thanks again Ned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PnP simple Qs - library sharing and watched status0