Question - Why not use Unicode fonts?
Question 
Greetings,

I have a burning question. This is something I have been wondering about since XBMC 9.11 Camelot. Just out of curiosity, why is Kodi still using non-Unicode compliant fonts? I understand that the primary users of this software reside in areas that use Roman or Cyrillic style characters. The use of non-Unicode fonts, however, prevents an "out-of-the-box" experience for those people who do not use Roman or Cyrillic characters in their native language. I know that adding a Unicode compliant font to these folders, C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\media\Fonts and C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\skin.confluence\fonts, allow the display of Thai and Japanese in the default install of Kodi. I know the folder example given is for a Windows install, but this is also true for the Linux based install as well. If there is another way to have Japanese, Thai. and other non-Western languages displayed, could you please let me know. I would be truly grateful.

Other than this small issue, I truly love the new release of Kodi. Thank you all for your hard work!!!!
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
I was under the impression the Arial font included in Kodi is Unicode. It's not located in Confluence's font folder.

Apart from that though good (open source / royalty free) full unicode fonts are extremely rare.

(2015-01-23, 08:20)Jeroen Wrote: I was under the impression the Arial font included in Kodi is Unicode. It's not located in Confluence's font folder.

Apart from that though good (open source / royalty free) full unicode fonts are extremely rare.

Thank you for the reply. I must have done something wrong in my Settings or my Windows install. No matter what font I chose, it would not display the Thai subs and text, nor my Japanese music titles. After I copied a Unicode version of the Arial font to the folders I mentioned in my OP, then everything displayed correctly. I am currently running Kodi as a shell replacement for a Windows 7 Home Premium install. I am wondering if I should install additional language packs, and if this would correct the problem.

I also appreciate the education. I did not know that good Unicode fonts were hard to find in the Open Source world.

Thank you again for your reply~
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
You're welcome, but you really shouldn't need to copy over any files as they are already included in Kodi. You don't need any language packs for Windows either. You do have to select the "Arial based" font in settings->appearance->skin which is a bit confusing. I feel it would be better if that were the default set based on what language is selected in settings->appearance->international
When I use the Arial font that comes with Kodi, Japanese characters are displayed correctly. I just get the boxes when trying to display Thai though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question - Why not use Unicode fonts?0