Solved Menu label highlighting, random lyrics, QuickNav
Hi,

so far, I used XBMC 13.x and the Nox theme on Ubuntu 12.04, but recently upgraded to Kodi 14.0 and 1080XF 3.40.56 on Ubuntu 14.04. I certainly like the theme a lot as to me it seems to be more consistent and cleaner compared to Nox in many areas.

However, in the short time I've tested it now, I noticed 3 annoying behaviours which I would classify as bug, but I don't even know wether they're purely related to 1080XF:

1) It happened once that on the text menu lables (Home, LiveTV, Movies, Pictures, Music, etc.) the highlighting and resizing of the currently selected label was off by a couple of entries (highlight was a few entries left of resized label, selection with [Enter] worked on the resized one). I don't know how I triggered that and it got worse during that test/play-around session. At some point both got synchronized again while I happened to move to the "Power / Favourites" labels and back to the main menu labels.

2) I like the song lyrics stuff (don't know wether it's a new feature, but never saw or tried it before), but the behaviour is still very random for me. Each time, I really want lyrics, they don't seem to come up (even for songs where lyrics worked before) and when I don't need them, they're all of a sudden there.

3) More annoyingly, through the lyrics display, I also learned about the "QuickNav" menu, as the "Player Control OSD" button (M) actually fires up QuickNav. That behaviour is very inconsistent and annoys me (maybe I just don't understand the QuickNav's logic yet), but it also shadows the regular Player Control OSD, even in case both are on the screen. It also overlays the "Visualization Settings" (in case you press M when it's visible), but then hitting [Enter] on the then topmost QuickNav, actually acts on the "Visualization Settings" dialog underneath. Overall, I personally would prefer to be able to turn off the QuickNav feature somewhere from the Settings.

I hope the descriptions help you to identify and fix the issues.

Keep up the good work!

STYLON
1) Screenshot - unless you had just enabled/disabled LiveTV, in which case you need to reload the skin after doing so.

2) Can't reproduce - I use them on a daily basis and they work as intended, more detailed explanation please.

3) Screenshot.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply.

(2015-01-23, 17:45)Piers Wrote: 1) Screenshot - unless you had just enabled/disabled LiveTV, in which case you need to reload the skin after doing so.

2) Can't reproduce - I use them on a daily basis and they work as intended, more detailed explanation please.

3) Screenshot.

For 3) I can do a screenshot easily as that behaviour was clearly reproducable. For 1) I need to find out how I triggered that. However, I'm sure I never disabled "LiveTV" after having enabled it. Instead, I remember that I was playing around with Audio CDs in that session and possibly the appearing / disappearing "Play" entry triggered it. Overall, I wouldn't expect this to happen at all.

For 2) I would be happy to receive some help how to enable debugging for the lyrics addon just to see wether there's possibly just something wrong with the lookup of the lyrics in cases where it refuses to show them. However, I'm not aware of any network issues on that box. Normal web browsing works flawlessly and also scrapers and access to the remote vdr machine for LiveTV on the local network are working like a charm.

I'll post some updates later this evening.

STYLON
1) Normally this happens when mouse\touch support is enabled in Settings. Disable it.
Wink 
Indeed, I remember that for 1) I had mouse and touch controls enabled, so maybe that triggered it. I'm happy disabling them anyway, so I assume that issue is "solved" for me.

Ok, here are 2 screenshot series for the unexpected behaviour of 3). They were created using the following (standard) keyboard shortcuts:

a) M, (Right, Right, Enter), M, Enter, (Left, Left)

b) M, Enter, Enter, (Right, Right, Right), M, M

So, for series a) the unexpected behaviour is that actually I can get into the "ProjectM Settings", while the QuickNav is the top layer. Maybe it's already a bug that both stack, but unfortunately the focus stays with the "ProjectM Settings". Please note that the focus changes to QuickNav in case you press any of the arrow keys, but the "ProjectM" dialog stays open underneath!

For series b) you can clearly see that QuickNav seems to lose focus while still being shown. Even the series of 3xRight goes to the "Player Controls" and QuickNav only closes after pressing M twice (while it appears together with the Player Controls by pressing M only once).

I hope that helps Big Grin. I'll continue with debugging case 2).

[Edit:] I forgot to mention what I expected here. In case a), QuickNav appears while I would have expected the Player Controls to disappear or QuickNav to take over focus and the ProjectM Settings to disappear before. In case b), QuickNav also should not have appeared and possibly Player Controls should have disappeared. In both cases I would have been fine with the simple option to globally disable QuickNav as I personally don't see a use in it and non-personally don't see a reason why it should be hard-coded to the same key as "Player Controls".
Why are you pressing M? What are you trying to do? C is the menu button, although maybe I'm not understanding you.

(2015-01-24, 02:03)Piers Wrote: Why are you pressing M? What are you trying to do? C is the menu button, although maybe I'm not understanding you.

With pressing 'M' I'm used to open "Player Controls", being well described here:

Kodi Keyboard Shortcuts

According to that list, 'C' has no binding in 'Music Visualization' mode.

Maybe I'm trying to do something completely stupid and wrong here and I'm just annoying you and stealing your time, but honestly I've just tried to follow the publically available documentation.
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.

If you want the player menu, press 'Enter'
If you want to go back a screen, press 'Backspace'
If you want information, press 'I'
If you want codec information, press 'O'

That should be all you need for all player controls.

M has a use, but it's not that helpful whilst playing content as there's no need.

I'm only trying to open/close "Player Controls (OSD)" consistently with a single and the same key.

Upon your advice I now tried opening them by pressing 'Enter', but that doesn't seem to work (at least not for me) when lyrics are being displayed. It does nothing and that behaviour is independent of the skin (I doubled-checked on Confluence). Also, with 'Enter' you can't hide the "Player Controls (OSD)" once you opened them. You need to press either 'M' to hide them or 'Backspace' (but that also does something else if you press it more than once). For me only 'M' works, when lyrics are being displayed, but that fires up QuickNav as well and that's not what I would expect when looking at the Kodi keyboard shortcuts. Overall, I would prefer to have the option to enable / disable QuickNav as I think I don't need it.

Regardless of that I think there's at least something fishy with the focus, when QuickNav is being displayed. As I've shown in the screenshots, pressing 'Enter' there is actually being passed to the dialog underneath instead of QuickNav.

To me also the autoscrolling of the lyrics display seems buggy. Instead of smoothly scrolling to the next line, it correctly highlights the next line, but then in order to re-center the whole lyrics text jumps up by one line only to smoothly scroll down (and not up) to the new position. Maybe that's intentionally, but I find the lyrics harder to read. On Confluence it scrolls smoothly and in my view correctly, it's only looks jumpy with 1080XF.

In the meantime, I also double-checked kodi + 1080XF on my MacBook Air and all behaviours described is exactly the same there.
The quicknav is visible when you press m, osd by pressing enter. To hide the controls press backspace.
Once you bring up the quicknav by pressing m, you can navigate to the now playing dialog by pressing right and you'll have the player controls. A lot of skinners mapped the quicknav to the playercontrols, so yes confluence handles the quicknav in a different way. But there is nothing wrong with the skin it's just a design choice.
Other than that i still don't understand why remote users should ever bring up the osd, it just makes no sense.
(2015-01-24, 15:57)butchabay Wrote: The quicknav is visible when you press m, osd by pressing enter. To hide the controls press backspace.
Once you bring up the quicknav by pressing m, you can navigate to the now playing dialog by pressing right and you'll have the player controls. A lot of skinners mapped the quicknav to the playercontrols, so yes confluence handles the quicknav in a different way. But there is nothing wrong with the skin it's just a design choice.
Other than that i still don't understand why remote users should ever bring up the osd, it just makes no sense.

Your statement that OSD opens upon pressing 'Enter' is not 100% correct. It actually doesn't when lyrics are present. I already wrote that in my previous post. And it does that even with Confluence. That's why even 'Enter' isn't the magic key to open / close the OSD. Maybe the 'CU LRC Lyrics' add-on handles 'Enter', although I don't see for what purpose. But then I would consider it a bug of that add-on rather than 1080XF.

I agree with you that with a remote there's no reason to open / close the OSD, but that's not my point here. Unfortunately, I'm using kodi on 3 different systems with only 1 of them using a remote. And I want the same look and feel on all of them, with the exception that on the PC / Mac I sometimes want to use the OSD (that's why I'm trying to find a good universal skin).

I apologize, if this sounds arrogant (as I'm a newbie here), but I would find an option to enable / disable the QuickNav quite useful. Then there would be no reason to fix any of the strange behaviours that I described (except maybe for the lyrics scrolling).
I've just tested it, I don't really use the Music section much. I can see what you're saying, there is an issue with focus on lyrics - but THAT'S IT. The rest of the skin performs as it's meant to. You can press backspace to remove the lyrics and then press Enter/Return to open the menu, then backspace to close it.

Don't forget you can also use arrow keys to skip tracks and space bar to pause/play.

I've added it to the list of things to investigate, but it's not high up on the list.

(2015-01-24, 17:53)Piers Wrote: I've just tested it, I don't really use the Music section much. I can see what you're saying, there is an issue with focus on lyrics - but THAT'S IT. The rest of the skin performs as it's meant to. You can press backspace to remove the lyrics and then press Enter/Return to open the menu, then backspace to close it.

Don't forget you can also use arrow keys to skip tracks and space bar to pause/play.

I've added it to the list of things to investigate, but it's not high up on the list.

Thanks for at least having a look at this.

I'm not sure wether it's just a focus issue. If you press 'M' while lyrics are on the screen it displays both the QuickNav and the Player Controls OSD. However, you simply can't use the QuickNav, it just gets into the way there. Instead, all keypresses go to the Player Controls OSD and not the top-level dialog of QuickNav. Of course, this is configurable as I can turn off Lyrics Wink, but I could as well choose to just turn QuickNav off, if it was possible.

The other problem that I described with the screenshots is similar, but with another dialog (I assume that the lyrics display is also just a dialog). That one seems to be a mixed focus / context problem. It seems to only happen when the selection in QuickNav stays with the default of Movies -> you end up in the visualization settings when pressing 'Enter' and not Movies although QuickNav is on top. It's also not stable: rarely, I've watched it to switch to Movies, but for me it's >95% going to the visualization settings.

As you may have had a look at lyrics, too: did you notice the jumpy scrolling when it's automatically moving on to the next line with the music? I don't see it with Confluence.

And if you're sensitive to this: please don't take bug reports as personal offence. I may have used the wrong words (I apologize if I did), but I'm a newbie to this forum Angel. This maybe your skin, your work, your baby, but when I inversely get reported unexpected behaviour caused by my own software, I'm glad to hear about it in order to be able to iron it out. I've no problem in case nobody here cares, I can simply fix my copy of the skin and the lyrics add-on. If anyone is interested, I can send a patch.
Just tested again based on the above - pressing M works as intended in that screen - you can use the quicknav to control media as well as press backspace to close it. I'm really not seeing what the issue is. Maybe the skin doesn't work as you would like it to?

stylon , just a thought. I have no experience with playing audio with lyrics, and I never use quicknav or the M key, but presumably you could edit your keymap file so that M launches OSD. I'm guessing that would/should override any skin setting and stop it launching QuickNav and only launch OSD. Would that work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Menu label highlighting, random lyrics, QuickNav0