Concept Popcorn
Hi Blush

the last days I had an idea on how Kodi may look like with a modern, flat skin Huh
I thought, it would be great to open a thread to collect and share my ideas, designs and mockups with you.

What do you think?

Looks good. I would love to see some more mockups for other parts of the UI. Do you plan on coding it, or is it simply a mockup?
I'll be happy, if this becomes a skin in the near future.
As I don't have the skills for coding a skin for Kodi, it may take a bit longer, because I have to learn skinning first. Confused
Looks good, nice and fresh. Can't wait to see some dialog ideas.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I say this every time, but those fonts sizes and contrasts will really struggle if this is to be used as a 10 foot interface. I'm assuming you're going for a tablet-based touchscreen interface here?
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
Actually it should be a skin for TVs...but maybe you're right - that could be a little bit too small and too hard to read Confused
Looks great!
would love to this one goes live Smile
This is really pretty! Smile However I think usability suffers from some of your design choices.

The plot box has way too many words per line which is going to make for an unpleasant reading experience on a TV. As a rule of thumb you should aim for something between 8 and 12 words per line. The contrast is too low, which will cause eye strain. A darker font would most definitely help with that.

White is a nice and refreshing choice, since most Kodi skins are rather dark. However they are so for a number of reasons, some of which are:
  • Dark rooms and dark movies. The change from and especially to white is very harsh.
  • Thumbnail details stand out better against dark backgrounds.
  • Most TVs don't handle pure white too well (vibrancy, ghosting).
Should you decide to stay with white, use a slightly grayish version (#f1f1f1) instead of pure white (#ffffff).

The current view looks great with the huge fanart and simple info area, but not knowing the next items (right and/or left) effectively prevents comfortable browsing. This kind of layout is fair game for a featured content section with say 5 items, but you don't want to navigate your whole library this way. Because ultimately every click you make is an uninformed decision. You never know what's next.

Not only does this feel a little jumpy, it also makes it impossible for you to 'quick sort' through your library. Imagine you don't really know yet what you want to watch, so you decide to browse your library until you find something that you're happy with. If you have, for instance, five items visible on a page it's very easy for you to decide which one of them you like best. You make this decision and couple of times, then apply the same method to the 'winners' and you're good to go. With a single item design you're basically required to remember the previous items to make an informed decision. (I feel like I've done a poor job explaining my thought. Might need further elaboration. Rofl)

Depending on the items at hand and the users viewing habits this issue is obviously going to be of varying concern. However Amazon, Google, Apple, Roku, Netflix etc. all display several items at once. Though information on this is hard to find I believe they all did extensive user experience testing and found this content representation to work reasonably well.

I see you already have icons for what I assume to be more view types. I'm looking forward to seeing mock-ups of them too. Especially the medium sized grid as I think this might be the sweet spot. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing! Smile
@toolpunk
WOW, your feedback is amazing Nod
I understand what you're meaning and I will try to integrate your feedback into the mockups - I already have something in my mind.
Ok, where do I sign my bank check ?
(2015-01-27, 21:16)wolfodeiwolfy Wrote: Ok, where do I sign my bank check ?

Probably on the signature line ? Smile

That being said: really nice look ! Would love to see some movie list / posters mockups.
Great work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Popcorn0