Playing movies
Video 
I was just wondering what's the easiest way to get movies into Rasbmc?
Rip them from your DVDs or blurays onto your server or nas and play them via the network.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-24, 03:59)nickr Wrote: Rip them from your DVDs or blurays onto your server or nas and play them via the network.

Sorry I'm new to all this. How do you move them onto your server?
This is such a simple-looking question that I suspect we need to start at the beginning:
1. what sort of media do you get your movies from?
2. do you have a PC which can network with the Pi, and what OS is it running?
Derek
(2015-01-24, 11:48)dandnsmith Wrote: This is such a simple-looking question that I suspect we need to start at the beginning:

I have a windows desktop and I'd like to get my movies from either ITunes or DVDs either way works
(2015-01-24, 17:01)Slapshot135 Wrote:
(2015-01-24, 11:48)dandnsmith Wrote: This is such a simple-looking question that I suspect we need to start at the beginning:

I have a windows desktop and I'd like to get my movies from either ITunes or DVDs either way works

You can forget iTunes AFAIK that simply won't work. If you rip a DVD and store the movies in a folder and then share that folder you'll be able to add that folder as a source in KODI.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2015-01-25, 00:00)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-01-24, 17:01)Slapshot135 Wrote:

You can forget iTunes AFAIK that simply won't work. If you rip a DVD and store the movies in a folder and then share that folder you'll be able to add that folder as a source in KODI.

I'm not sure how you guys do this but I tried moving the dvd into a flash drive and it partially worked- I got video but not audio
(2015-01-25, 00:24)Slapshot135 Wrote: I'm not sure how you guys do this but I tried moving the dvd into a flash drive and it partially worked- I got video but not audio

You'll need some sort of DVD ripping software. Personally I use the excellent DVD Catalyst, but there are other options around like Handbrake or MakeMKV, depending on what format you want to end up in and what other features you may want. Some are free, some aren't but are quite cheap usually and should work with most DVDs.

If you want BluRay then you need a bit more effort, but I can't help there as I don't have any so have never done it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-01-25, 00:24)Slapshot135 Wrote:
(2015-01-25, 00:00)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2015-01-24, 17:01)Slapshot135 Wrote: I have a windows desktop and I'd like to get my movies from either ITunes or DVDs either way works

I'm not sure how you guys do this but I tried moving the dvd into a flash drive and it partially worked- I got video but not audio
Actually figured it out- the speakers I had the Pi connected to werent turned on(I feel like an idiot now)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing movies0