Win Kodi will not recognize some RAR files
I recently updated to Kodi and it will not recognize many of my folders in rar archives. I've searched the windows forums and none of the results show an answer to the problem i am having. It works fine with some rar files, for Movies like the Croods or The Iron Giant, but not others, like The Lego Movie. These all worked fine under the last stable version of XBMC so i know they are valid files that will play. Is there a specific plug-in that i need or some setting that i'm missing?
I know i just posted this a few minutes ago, but it seems there is a bigger problem going on here. Specifically as it regards the Lego Movie...I've unpacked the RAR file, renamed the Movie folder, refreshed the library several times, and restarted the computer and Kodi will not add this movie to the library in any capacity. So i guess there are now two issues, one is that it still wont recognize any of the RAR files, but now i think that Kodi must not like legos, so why is the Lego Movie Specifically not playing?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Chris
Hello I know this question is old but I have the same problem. Is there any solution already?
Some multiparted-rar Movies works but some not, why?
No idea as I've never had one which does work.
(2018-02-19, 14:18)moh86 Wrote: Some multiparted-rar Movies works but some not, why?
Are they password-protected?

There is only one reason for keeping videos in RAR files, and that is for redistribution in newsgroups.
Technically, there is no logical reason whatsoever to keep videos files in RAR format.
I have no solution but what's the benefit of storing movies inside RAR files?
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
None. Video is by definition already in a compressed format, so when RAR is used, it's done with either minimal or no compression at all, just to hack large video files into small pieces, which can then be digested more easily via Internet.
" Kodi and it will not recognize many of my folders in rar archives " There is many iterations of RAR and some versions are not cross compatible and will run into problems from scanning to playing. Suggestion:-> de-archive and join pieces if needed in a more common supported Kodi format.
Actually there is a benefit to wrapping a file in an archive format (not rar particularly): integrity checking.
(2018-02-19, 20:43)PatK Wrote: " Kodi and it will not recognize many of my folders in rar archives " There is many iterations of RAR and some versions are not cross compatible and will run into problems from scanning to playing. Suggestion:-> de-archive and join pieces if needed in a more common supported Kodi format.
 Thank you people for so many answers. The documentary which I download legally and enjoy are splitted in multiparted rar files.
Are there any addons to make kodi support more rar versions and minimize the problem?
Are you able to to open the rar file and unrar it outside of Kodi? as this will prove whether there's potentially an issue with the multipart rar file.
(2018-02-20, 16:15)jjd-uk Wrote: Are you able to to open the rar file and unrar it outside of Kodi? as this will prove whether there's potentially an issue with the multipart rar file.
 Yes sure. And in this regard VLC Player can play all rar files without unrar them first Confused
I had never problems with rar files and vlc player.
If you're willing to experiment, the v18 development builds have moved the rar handling to addons, at the moment there are two addons:

1. RAR archive support - which should be similar to the handling in v17 but just moved to an addon.
2. Archive support - which allows use of the libarchive library, however as use of libarchive is new there might be some rough edges.

Experiment with enabling each one at a time.

If you wnt to try v18 then you can install it to a different folder to your v17 install, then run in portable mode which means the v18 install runs completely isolated from the v17 install, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
Smile 
Alright, I will give it a try
(2018-02-20, 17:49)jjd-uk Wrote: If you're willing to experiment, the v18 development builds have moved the rar handling to addons, at the moment there are two addons:

1. RAR archive support - which should be similar to the handling in v17 but just moved to an addon.
2. Archive support - which allows use of the libarchive library, however as use of libarchive is new there might be some rough edges.

Experiment with enabling each one at a time.

If you wnt to try v18 then you can install it to a different folder to your v17 install, then run in portable mode which means the v18 install runs completely isolated from the v17 install, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
Where can I find these addons? I've searched in kodi but I couldn't find them

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi will not recognize some RAR files0