Hardware specs confusion for embedded systems
Hi all,

So long story short I got a Pi B+ for free, and I tried OpenElec on it. I'm a fan, I'm a fan of moving my desktop out of that room too, so now I'm looking at more powerful options...

This is where it seems to get confusing....

VidOn, CuBox-TV, and an S812 varient* are in the running, but everyone seems to be talking apples and organes? The VidOn is slower (1.2) with a a7, with less ram, but the SGX544MP2 8 core. But the s812 is an a9 at 2ghz, more ram, but a worse GPU the Mali450 mp-8 that somehow supports 4k?
Then the CuBox-TV comes in with what appers to have the strongest GPU, but little else going for it?

Are there other devices I should be considering? Am I missing something obvious?

Would apprciate your insights...

* http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_142712.html i guess?
Or, might I say, the Tronsmart Orion R28?
Your actually going about this all wrong, and by that I mean you are looking at the tech specs of each box and not presenting us with a list of your video and audio requirements and also a price range. I location would help too for PAL or NTSC TV standards.

Just naming Hardware boxes is pointless until you do.

Sure thing, I guess in short im looking for 'the best for my money' which is where gets confusing, it's not exactly a straightforward market.

1080p projector (supports 24/60) which will run through an hdmi 1.4 switcher, audio is DTS-HD capable reciever, but it's driving a 2.1 so... All content will be over NFS, wired. Android would be nice for the other apps, but not exactly a requirement.
These two Boxes are the most popular proven Firmware Stable media devices for Kodi, for very good reasons.
One the best Android based box with Kodi, Netflix and games etc and the other the best bang for the buck for a pure Kodi media streaming box.
The Zotac BI320 also merits consideration.
See FAQ Chromebox vs Amazon Fire TV below...
!!
!!
V

Yep - for hassle free playback in excellent quality of content with HD Audio the Chromebox (or Zotac BI320 - which has a very similar CPU/GPU) is very hard to beat.

Full de-interlacing, 23.976Hz support, HD Audio over HDMI, automatic refresh rate switching etc. The only occasional issue is hardware decoding of interlaced VC-1 content (which is an Intel Linux driver issue) which isn't hugely widespread (some BBC Blu-rays are though)

However as wrxtasy says, if you want other apps, then the Fire TV is well worth a look. Not as good a performer in the video and audio stakes as the Chromebox, but still a very good performer.
Thanks for your suggestions, part of the appeal is the ARM/Android to be honest, and something that isnt 65 watts... I'm leaning towards a 812 based or the R28. Taking this more as a hobby, I know I could get an x86 that'd work great for not too much more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware specs confusion for embedded systems0