Can't add files to Library when using Shared Library file "advancedsettings.xml"
Hi all,

According to the tutorial here, in order to have a shared library one needs to create a file called advancedsettings.xml and place it into its /home/[user]/.kodi/userdata directory. I did that, but with that file in that location it was preventing me from scrapping the files and eventually adding the Library. I had to remove it, and the Library Update eventually worked.

I use smb to share files (also before).

The behavior was quite odd. I was adding the Video files, selecting the right location (which was found by Kodi in the smb share with no issues), then when I had to select what Content it was, I selected Movies, and when Clicking "OK", it didn't start scraping and putting movies into the Library. What it was doing, was only adding the File location, from which I was able to navigate through my Movie files, with the poster and fanart information I had exported from the other instance. However, the Movie Library was empty. On top of that, when selecting the source again, I was realising that the Content Type was always "None", and not "Movies" as I had selected. I tried to re-enter "Movies" as type a couple of times, with no success.

Then I removed the advancedsettings.xml file, and it worked again, I was able to scrap the content and add Movies to the Library with no issues. However, the Library is not shared anymore of course.

Can that be that it's because I am not running two instances of the same Kodi? (although I doubt that such situation would trigger my error). I am running the original Kodi on a Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc). I couldn't get which version it was, but it was Kodi for sure as in the System Info it said "Raspbmc running Kodi, compiled 24 Dec 2014". The new Kodi instance is on an Intel NUC, Kodi Helix on native Ubuntu 14.04.

Do you have any idea what I was doing wrong?
I had similar problems after upgrading to Kodi. Not really sure what caused it or why it even happened, and I still can't understand why my solution worked. In the sources.xml I had:
<source><name>Sourcename</name><path>smb://192.168.xxx.xxx/Somepath</path></source>
I can access it from the OS and it used to work before, but not anymore. I changed it to:
<source><name>Sourcename</name><path>smb://SERVERNAME/Somepath</path></source>
Now it works. No idea why the name works and IP doesn't. If it would be the other way around it would make more sense. It still bothers me a bit since I don't understand the reason, but as it works I let it be.

(Sources.xml is located in the same userdata folder as advancedsettings.xml.)
There's no place like ~
(2015-01-26, 15:28)frogthroat Wrote: I had similar problems after upgrading to Kodi. Not really sure what caused it or why it even happened, and I still can't understand why my solution worked. In the sources.xml I had:
<source><name>Sourcename</name><path>smb://192.168.xxx.xxx/Somepath</path></source>
I can access it from the OS and it used to work before, but not anymore. I changed it to:
<source><name>Sourcename</name><path>smb://SERVERNAME/Somepath</path></source>
Now it works. No idea why the name works and IP doesn't. If it would be the other way around it would make more sense. It still bothers me a bit since I don't understand the reason, but as it works I let it be.

(Sources.xml is located in the same userdata folder as advancedsettings.xml.)

Many thanks! I will try that out once at home!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't add files to Library when using Shared Library file "advancedsettings.xml"0