Hardware advice for Popcorn Hour convert
I currently have a popcorn Hour A-210 running YAMJ and Eversion with a custom scope skin. I'm using this in a home theater and it's used exclusively to watch Blu-ray rips from an unraid server. The rips are almost exactly whatever was on the original disc - the only difference is everything except the main movie has been removed (clownbd was used to do this) and now there is only one M2TS file for each movie in the same disc folder structure. Whatever audio or video formats were used on the original disc are still there and untouched. The A-210 goes into an Onkyo 7.2 Chanel receiver which handles all the audio decoding and then a Panasonic projector.

Is time to replace the A-210 and I'm not too excited about the direction popcorn hour has gone so I'm considering other options. One major concern is support for pass-through Dolby TrueHD as most my titles use this audio format and Popcorn Hour apparently got into a spat with Dolby.

XBMC / Kodi looks to be a good option for me. I've installed it on my windows machine and added my library. So far it looks good and in many respects way better than what I have now.

I don't want to put a PC in the theater and really like using a the type of small media streaming box like I have now. I'm looking for advice on what hardware would be the best option for replacing what I have now. I don't mind if the original setup is a bit of work but ideally day to day use should be really simple. I'd like to turn it on and be at xbmc/kodi screen immediately or with 1-2 menu selections. I of course want to make sure the hardware will not have a problem playing back any of my content as described above. I'm very comfortable with Windows but very much a noob when it comes to anything else like linux or android.
If you want DTS HD MA/HR and Dolby True HD and a decent quality video experience then I'd look seriously at the Asus Chromebox. There's a small degree of setup, but the Wiki is very easy to follow.

You get full HD Audio over HDMI bitstreaming and no 24p bug. It will play pretty much every consumer video format without breaking sweat, and does a very good deinterlace on native interlaced content. The internal SSD means it boots incredibly quickly, and the Asus model is very quiet.

My Popcorn Hour C200 has been retired since I switched to Kodi on my Chromebox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware advice for Popcorn Hour convert0