UPLOAD pictures to Kodi
Hello all.

I have searched the forums, I have searched Google, and I have not found the answer I'm looking for. Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

I built a digital picture frame for my mom using a RasPi A+, a 15.5" laptop monitor, and Kodi as the OS. There are lots of other parts I'm not mentioning however they aren't necessary for this question.

I would like to upload pictures to the USB flash drive I have installed inside the frame from a web browser either on another computer or a smart phone. I've tried WIMM as the web front end for Kodi, but it doesn't have an option (that I can find) to upload files to the RasPi. I don't need or want to play music or movies, just want to upload pics on a local network directly to the USB drive. Setting up a SAMBA share or some other network drive is not an option. I have a 32GB drive inside the frame that is dedicated just for pics to make my mom happy. Surely there is some kind of simple interface i can install to do this.

I'm using Picture Slideshow Screensaver to display the pics and I have the iOS XBMC Remote Control app working. This is really my last hurdle.

Thank you for any help!
Using Windows, upload with WinSCP or Filezilla. The username and password to use will depend on whether you used OE, Raspbmc, or Xbian.
Quote:Kodi as the OS
Kodi is NOT an operating system! It is an application.
You have to specify which distribution of Linux you are using since they have different basic setups for communications.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Ok feel kinda dumb. I actually thought Kodi on the Raspberry Pi was an OS.

So the version I'm running I downloaded as a full .IMG file from the official download link. I know the preferred way to install it is to download the installer and let it go out and download the rest of the image but since I was using an A+ Pi that wasn't an option.

Looking at what I have saved and my notes I know I used the RaspBMC image.
Gosh, I did not even know there existed an A+...
Now looked at the A+ description page and found that this thing does not have networking, which makes it a LOT more difficult.
Maybe if you unplug the USB drive and move it to another Pi (B+ of course) or a PC (depends on how you formatted the drive) then it would enable file copying into it.

Or if you use a powered USB hub so you can attach a USB WiFi adapter to it too and get networking running?
Then Filezilla should work. I use RaspBMC on my XBMC Pi since over a year and it works just fine over the network...

But I really have no experience of A+, I did not even consider a unit without networking...
I actually thought that A+ was a mistype by you in your original post....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
The A+ is no worse off than the A, one of which I am currently listening to (using iPlayer).
Networking can be via WiFi or a USB-ethernet adapter (my current method, Edimax).
It may be possible to switch to higher current-draw capabilities, as you can with the B+ and thus use the A+ with the network adapter connected directly (using a PSU with enough capability).
The mention of WIMM leaves me cold - don't understand what is meant by this FLA.
For copying, with source on a Windows PC, copying via Windows Explorer should be good (SAMBA enabled by default in RaspBMC)
Derek
The A+ seems by the description page to have only a single USB port so attaching multiple things will require a powered hub.
The OP uses the USB to attach the disk drive....
He has no networking.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Guys we got a little off track here. I have wifi networking up and working on the A+ that's not the problem. I have a powered hub running the wifi dongle and the thumb drive I store pics on. Kodi is installed and working fine.

What I want to do is have a way to easily upload new pictures to the thumb drive from either a computer on the local network or from a smart phone on the local network. I don't want to have to take the picture frame down, open it, remove the thumb drive, plug it into another computer, and copy maybe one or two pics over.

What i'm looking for is some kind of browser based page hosted on the Raspberry Pi that is running Kodi that I can just drag and drop pictures into.
Try using scp. I assume ssh is running on the pi.

From a windows machine use winscp. From android use andftp. On android you can choose a pic and "share" to andftp.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I know you posted that setting up a SAMBA share isn't the way you want to go, but this is the easiest way to access stuff on the RPI with Kodi - it works for all sorts of devices to access (PC, phone, tablet ...), and has the advantage of being usable with drag-n-drop types of operation
Derek
Otherwise you can install Apache on the Pi, then create a webpage possibly programmed in PHP to receive uploaded files.
Also you need to set various permissions to allow file uploads. Doable but a lot of work....
Or install samba and get it done in a couple of minutes.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I might have been thinking the wrong things about SAMBA. I thought I had to have it on another computer in order to be able to to connect to Kodi using it. I'll look into it more and see if it will do what I want. Thank you all for your help.
Samba on the Pi exposes select disk directory(ies) on a Pi disk drive to the network for other computers on the network to use.
Permissions are set in /etc/samba.conf if I remember correctly.
Specifically Windows PCConfused are able to connect to samba shares out-of-the-box, so if the disk on the Pi is served as a share by samba on the pi then a Windows machine can read/write files to that share over the network using simple stuff like drag-and-drop in Windows Explorer.
Can't get any simpler than that....
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPLOAD pictures to Kodi0