Linux 24fps on ubuntu 14.04 with NVidia
Sorry people, but I could not find any current info. I have a clean install of both Ubuntu and Kodi. But when I have a media file encoded on 24fps , instead of the 23.97-something, ubuntu/kodi will revert to 60fps. Also I cannot choose 24fps as a refresh rate in the settings menu so I am obviously missing a setting here. But the old xorg.conf seems to be gone. So I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks,
If you are running Ubuntu Unity (nobody knows, cause you did not provide a Debug Log) - just don'T do it. It interfers with mode switching. Start the kodi session from the login manager.

nvidia needs a modeline for 24.0 and 23.976 fps -> see the wiki on howto do that.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I found that wiki page, http://kodi.wiki/view/Xorg_Modelines, but I don't have a xorg.conf. I do start kodi from the login screen, bypassing the normal desktop, otherwise I would not be able to set the screen's refresh rate from the settings.

A debug log just to ask "what is the correct location now to add a screen mode" seems unnecessary as I don't think kodi is to blame here, but my video settings,

But to answer my own question: the file needs to be created in /etc/X11/xorg.conf since ubuntu does not have a standard file there.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Minimal_NVidia_xorg.conf
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For those interested to know, I did the following steps:

As per wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/Configuring_resolu..._xorg.conf, I created a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf with:
Code:
nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --no-composite --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
The "--no-dynamic-twinview" flag was no longer supported in my version

I looked up the section "monitor" in the new configuration. There was an option DPMS there already, but with no parameters, so I added the three options stated in the wiki:
Code:
Section "monitor"
    Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
    Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
    Option "DPMS" "false"

And in the section "Device" I added the mode validation option:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"

Now the next step in the wiki did not work for me: I did shut down lightdm to run the command "sudo X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1" but it did not yield the output I needed to add my modeline. So I took the NVidia example from the wiki http://kodi.wiki/view/Xorg_Modelines and added it to the monitor section:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    ModeLine "1920x1080_24"     74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
You can also try the first value to be set on 74.16 (should the X -verbose 6... not work for you either - need to do some more investigating why it didn't work for me).

After that I restarted the PC and booted directly into Kodi, bypassing the normal desktop. Now I was able to select 24 frames/sec. in the Video output system settings menu.

I will (try to remember to) upload my conf tonight.
There is content with 24.0 fps and content with 23.976 fps - you should have both modes.
The following xorg.conf allows selection of both 24fps as well as 23.976 from the settings menu. Also tested playing a 23.976 and it seems to play fine.
Comments welcomed, but as much for help: my knowledge falls a bit short.
And the "sudo X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1" command works - but it gave me a refresh rate of 74.16. If I enter that on the ModeLine, I don't have my 24 frames/sec. anymore. Huh

Link to dropbox (isn't large): https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqn2xfp7s9qn5q....conf?dl=0
This is what I'm using:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    # 23.976 and 24.0 refresh rates
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_24" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine       "1920x1080_23.976" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option         "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    # Option         "ModeDebug" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "ColorRange" "FULL" # Set to Limited if all is too dark
    Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
    Option         "VertRefresh"  "DFP-1: 23-60"
    Option         "HorizSync"    "DFP-1: 25-100"
    Option         "ModeValidation" "DFP-1: NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Try:
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr
to see if it works properly.
OK, should have been more clear Big Grin With the xorg.conf I am using now I do have both 23.976 and 24 fps modes. But I will incorporate your settings as well Dahl. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24fps on ubuntu 14.04 with NVidia0