I sold my Apple tv 2 with Kodi. What now?
My environment:
living room,
40" tv,
Onkyo 5+1 receiver,
chromecast
over the air antenna for 30 local channels.
(no tv services from any ISP, just internet 50/25 mpbs from ISP)

So, I sold my APTV 2 with Kodi because it was old hardware, no 1080p and lots of crashes, I don't have any apple products anymore and it was time to upgrade.

What can I buy now with a budget of 170$

All I want is Kodi 1080p (if 4k, better) and watch over the air local channels in east cost USA. All signal will be passing through Onkyo receiver.

Some of the hardware I came through, WeTek, Minix, Tronsmart, Fire Tv, Nexus player, Intel NUC,

Please suggest any of your favorite.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum.
Get an Amazon Fire TV box! It will do all you need once Kodi is installed Smile
Chromebox, a nice remote, and a USB TV tuner.
(2015-01-26, 01:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Chromebox, a nice remote, and a USB TV tuner.
+1

You should be able to get TV Headend with an ATSC tuner working - though I think there aren't that many tuners with decent Linux support. The Hauppauge HVR950 or 950Q (I'm not sure if both are supported but googling will help) USB 2.0 ATSC tuner should work I believe.

The Chromebox with OpenElec has pretty decent de-interlacing and should work well - though you may want an external USB hard drive for your recording storage I guess (16GB of internal SSD won't hold much - and I wouldn't use it for timeshifting)

The FireTV is fine for online streaming and local file replay - but I don't think it supports a PVR backend or decent de-interlacing for watching sport (CBS and NBC use 1080i in most areas - so sport on those channels will need de-interlacing, Fox and ABC are usually 720p so don't need de-interlacing)
Thanks for all replies. But I already have a TV and it has a tuner. I am can see over the air local channels with a antenna on my roof. I was thinking about wetek because it has also a tuner so I can pass all signals through wetek into the receiver and to my TV... Is it a good idea?
That's what we're describing, but using a USB tuner so that the interface is integrated in Kodi. WeTek will also do this, but on a less powerful machine (but still powerful enough for daily use).
Yes good idea. Wetek has good support with an ex Amilogic coder on their team, which is pretty important.
Updates from them are flowing thick and fast. You will be able to choose between Openelec 5.0 and Android OS.

Currently the PVR software TvHeadend is running properly under Openelec and is being ported to Android as I type.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=182218

De-Interlacing and 23.976fps is working. Good choice if you want a nice integrated Kodi media box with a TV Tuner and PVR.

(2015-01-26, 01:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Chromebox, a nice remote, and a USB TV tuner.

Ok, so there is no difference between Chromebox with celeron cpu and i3 cpu in terms of video playback in kodi. So any asus chrombox with celeron would do the job right?
what do you suggest as a remote?
and usb tv tuner? I searched around and they have wide range of prices. For the purpose of watching OTA local channels any 10$ usb tv tuner is the same as the 50$ one ?

Overall I think your suggestion is the one for me. Chromebox is the way to go.

Thank you.
Wink 
Holy crap!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

http://kodi.tv/farewell-to-future-appletv2-development/

They ended development for apple tv2 today, And I sold it 3 day ago.
Fire tv all the way. Coming form someone who had an apple tv 2 for years the Fire tv is tops. It offers the closest thing to the ATV in terms of apps and games just work there is no need for another remote like an air mouse and such.
There are apps for the fire tv like smithsonian tv, history, lifetime, A&e and many others. Several kids add ons. Also disney has a few.
Some of these will let you view live tv if you still have paid tv or if you have a friend or relative that does. The terms on them say a paid tv subscription has to be entered does not say it has to be yours.

Also besides that it runs KODI EXCELLENT. It has a bluetooth remote making it much nicer then the IR remote with the ATV2.
I am a big apple fan and to put an android in my house was a big thing but AMAZON got it right its a good box. It is not maybe the most powerful in that it doesn't do 4K but it does do KODI well and thats what i like. If your a prime member then you get TONS of stuff there. The netflix app is very nice too.
And it plays well with add ons weather official or from other sites that we don't mention.

Its the best box and i have tried boxes from tronsmart, minix, ouya and pivos, matricom and others.

You can not go wrong with the fire tv.
(2015-01-28, 22:19)ilovemymac Wrote: Fire tv all the way. Coming form someone who had an apple tv 2 for years the Fire tv is tops. It offers the closest thing to the ATV in terms of apps and games just work there is no need for another remote like an air mouse and such.
There are apps for the fire tv like smithsonian tv, history, lifetime, A&e and many others. Several kids add ons. Also disney has a few.
Some of these will let you view live tv if you still have paid tv or if you have a friend or relative that does. The terms on them say a paid tv subscription has to be entered does not say it has to be yours.

Also besides that it runs KODI EXCELLENT. It has a bluetooth remote making it much nicer then the IR remote with the ATV2.
I am a big apple fan and to put an android in my house was a big thing but AMAZON got it right its a good box. It is not maybe the most powerful in that it doesn't do 4K but it does do KODI well and thats what i like. If your a prime member then you get TONS of stuff there. The netflix app is very nice too.
And it plays well with add ons weather official or from other sites that we don't mention.

Its the best box and i have tried boxes from tronsmart, minix, ouya and pivos, matricom and others.

I'd have to agree with ^^^

The only drawback I've run into with my AFTV/Kodi is that while it passes Dolby Digital and DTS, it does not passthrough the HD Audio formats, and from what I've read, this is an Android related setback. Other than that, this AFTV has been my best media streaming device for the price point.
(2015-01-28, 22:32)DruTheFu Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 22:19)ilovemymac Wrote: Fire tv all the way. Coming form someone who had an apple tv 2 for years the Fire tv is tops. It offers the closest thing to the ATV in terms of apps and games just work there is no need for another remote like an air mouse and such.

I'd have to agree with ^^^

The only drawback I've run into with my AFTV/Kodi is that while it passes Dolby Digital and DTS, it does not passthrough the HD Audio formats, and from what I've read, this is an Android related setback. Other than that, this AFTV has been my best media streaming device for the price point.

I have a receiver and all sounds will pass through that. What do you mean by "it does not passthrough the HD Audio formats"
I'm not familiar with these terms but in short will it be able to fill my 5.1 receiver?

I enjoyed aptv2 for more than 2 years with xbmc support, how do you see fire tv in 2 years from now specs wise?
(2015-01-28, 23:09)Jarefahx Wrote: I have a receiver and all sounds will pass through that. What do you mean by "it does not passthrough the HD Audio formats"
I'm not familiar with these terms but in short will it be able to fill my 5.1 receiver?

I enjoyed aptv2 for more than 2 years with xbmc support, how do you see fire tv in 2 years from now specs wise?

My AFTV does pass DD5.1 and DTS5.1 to my AVR (Denon AVR-3312CI), but will not pass DTS-HD or Dolby True HD audio feeds
+1 AFTV
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
So aftv is the way to go? I have 4 Apple tv 2's I have to sell now. Sob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I sold my Apple tv 2 with Kodi. What now?0