Show video's internal subtitles with the same format as external subtitles
Hi, I want to know how can I show the internal subtitles of a video with the same format as the one that is applied to external subtitles. Right now internal subtitles, even if they don't have any styling, are shown slightly different (smaller font, etc.) and the ones that are styled (with colors and stuff) just the size is changed when you enable the "Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts". Is there a way to do this short of extracting a video's subtitles and loading them that way?
What format are these internal subtitles?
If the format is vobsub or PGS than it's not actually text that can be modified. In fact, "official" subtitles that are supplied on DVD and Blu-Ray are stored as pictures instead of text. You can't change the way (like font) it is displayed.

If you want to change these you must extract them and perform OCR on these pictures to convert them to text. There are several tools available for this but most require some training to get the characters correctly recognised.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2015-01-26, 14:20)PH-SYM Wrote: What format are these internal subtitles?
If the format is vobsub or PGS than it's not actually text that can be modified. In fact, "official" subtitles that are supplied on DVD and Blu-Ray are stored as pictures instead of text. You can't change the way (like font) it is displayed.

They aren't from DVDs or blurays but from MKVs which are usually ASS/SSA. The ones I'm talking about specifically right now are SSA which are styled and the letters are white with a pink foreground (instead of the usual black applied to external subtitles) or something that just looks awful. Enabling the "Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts" increases their font size but not the format. What can I do about it?
Might try "Aegisub" to modify the ASS/SSA style.

scott s.
(2015-01-27, 00:54)scott967 Wrote: Might try "Aegisub" to modify the ASS/SSA style.

scott s.

I want to know if there is a way to make xbmc apply the same format that is applied to external ones.
See Subtitles#Main_settings (wiki) and enable Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts, else no its a manual job only like its been indicated to you already..

The only settings are available at Subtitles#Main_settings (wiki) fo font size you can change fonts add fonts etc but again that's it.
(2015-01-27, 02:17)uNiversal Wrote: See Subtitles#Main_settings (wiki) and enable Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts, else no its a manual job only like its been indicated to you already..

The only settings are available at Subtitles#Main_settings (wiki) fo font size you can change fonts add fonts etc but again that's it.

Yes, as I mentioned I already applied that but it just changes the font size of the internal subtitle stylized fonts, not the font or the color.
Its should.
(2015-01-27, 11:29)uNiversal Wrote: Its should.

Is it supposed to? It's certainly not doing it, if you PM me I can point you to the file I'm testing this so you can see for yourself (an episode it's about 300mb), that way we can see if it's some kind of bug.
Create a 5 or 10MB sample file with say mkvtoolnix and upload it some where and paste link here. Sorry no Pm's.
(2015-01-27, 17:39)uNiversal Wrote: Create a 5 or 10MB sample file with say mkvtoolnix and upload it some where and paste link here. Sorry no Pm's.

Here: http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/1g2BOYjW/file.html

If you use Kodi's default settings for external subtitles you can clearly see the difference between the internal one and the one kodi is supposed to apply when "Override ASS/SSA subtitle fonts" is enabled. The pink-ish foreground is kind of thin so you may need a screen bigger than a normal laptop to really notice it.
there is no way to customize the outline unless you edit the subtitles directly.
(2015-01-28, 18:02)uNiversal Wrote: there is no way to customize the outline unless you edit the subtitles directly.

Why not? Doesn't it all fall down under override SSA/ASS subtitles umbrella?
Sure, but there is NO way to tweak the outline in any of the settings, its just not available, you cant tweak any outlines in internal or external on any subtitle types via kodi.. The override appleis to the using the settings available, which again this is not.

If you want outline tweaking you gonna have to add that setting yourself of find someone willing to do it for you.

Or in mean while extract the sub and edit it yourself.

See here what this guy did whit his lemons http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213446
(2015-01-28, 20:02)uNiversal Wrote: Sure, but there is NO way to tweak the outline in any of the settings, its just not available, you cant tweak any outlines in internal or external on any subtitle types via kodi.. The override appleis to the using the settings available, which again this is not.

If you want outline tweaking you gonna have to add that setting yourself of find someone willing to do it for you.

Or in mean while extract the sub and edit it yourself.

See here what this guy did whit his lemons http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213446

That's what I feared. What I'm doing with my lemons right now is downloading the subs for a given video file from the subtitles menu. It works great for movies since I generally can always find a subtitle that fits but for anime not so much, that's why I was looking for a better solution. Thanks for answering though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Show video's internal subtitles with the same format as external subtitles0