Best OS for Kodi
I've been running XBMC for a few years on an ION-based system on regular Ubuntu. Now that 12.04 Precise is no longer supported, I'm looking at upgrading to the next LTS version, and also upgrading from Gotham to Kodi, so I'm reconsidering all options. Is Ubuntu still the best OS to run Kodi? My system also runs rtorrent, dropbox (for auto-torrents), subsonic music server, and AirPrint server, but none of these things requires GUI, so XBMC runs full-screen all the time.

I'm considering OpenElec, just to improve UI snappiness. I have an occasional delay because of the low power CPU. But I think it might be a headache trying to get all my other services running. What about Kodibuntu, would that be a better option? Anything else I should consider?
Ubuntu 1204 should be supported till 2017, unless something has changed... But going by your requirements kodibuntu sounds like a good fit.
Indeed incorrect assumption 12.04 LTS is indeed supported (Kodibuntu uses a newer LTS is all doesnt mean 12.04 is unsupported).
Here both ION and a newer atom + gt610 systems both using 12.04LTS and unless there's some some OCD itch I need to scratch, then in such case where even medication wont do it, then and only then a fresh install is considered of 14.04 LTS or a Newer LTS happens to be, but always LTS.

The only variance is https://launchpad.net/~universal/+archiv...ia-updates which I only done to newer system not ION yet.

OE you may gain snappiness but all services you run now you very likely wont be able to run them anymore, depends if OE has addons for these.

Personally Im not a fan of Kodibuntu or OE, rather I install minimal Ubuntu with no desktop environments (like server but not) etc and customise it to my needs... But If I needed a desktop environment pre configured to run Kodi, then Kodibuntu would be my first choice.

And Now here is the snag... This is yet another thread on this matter and I hope it doesnt get into a ****** contest like all other similar threads tend to..
spooky you should be fine where you are for a while yet, as others have said.

It is easy to make openelec dual boot with ubuntu, so I run ubuntu and openelec as a dual boot, which gives me a chance to play with both. Also gives you a no loss way of trying openelec without trashing the system you have.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
just throwing this out here: while ubuntu 12.04 is officially supported till 2017 by ubuntu, it does not mean that we as Team Kodi will or can support it for kodi for such a long time as well. We do our best, but when the time comes that we really need some dependencies or drivers or whatever that cannot be backported, we will drop kodi support for 12.04.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS for Kodi0