VRC-1100 remote on Ubuntu... no workie
ubuntu-xbmc,

Thanks for your follow-up and the additional information.

Unfortunately (for me), getting the VRC-1100 working at least mostly properly on Ubuntu was really just a stepping stone. What I really was aiming to do was to get the VRC-1100 working (with Kodi) on the current official OS release for my shiny new Odroid-C1. But I found out, much to my dismay, that in actual point of fact, the Linux OS releases for the Odroid-C1 are actually based on Lubuntu and, sadly, the solutions that work to get the VRC-1100 working on Ubuntu are inapplicable (as far as I can tell) to Lubuntu.

I am still waiting and hoping for a solution to make the VRC-1100 behave well with Kodi on Lubuntu, but alas, nobody so far has stepped forward to give me any helpful hints. Since such information is not forthcoming, so far, I am really just waiting and hoping that there will be a release... even some entirely unofficial one... by someone (i.e. anyone) of OpenELEC for the Odroid-C1. I anticipate that when I can get that, it will allow me at least to use my VRC-1100 with Kodi running on the C1. (The VRC-1100 works, mostly, right out of the box with my x86-based HTPC and OpenELEC and always has... at least for the 1+ year I've had it.)
ronbaby,

I don't use Lubuntu, but I would think the VRC-1100 should work. The VRC-1100 dongle behaves like a USB keyboard / USB mouse combination. Doesn't the Odroid use a USB keyboard by default?

Is the issue that Lubuntu doesn't know that USB device 05a4:9881 is a USB keyboard, such that a udev rule might help?

Or are you facing the same problem as Ubuntu above (the OS grabbing the keys)? To check if that's really the problem -- see if the remote works at the OS level. E.g. I could control volume from my desktop with the remote, if the remote doesn't work on the desktop, I'd guess it's the actual HW installation that's the problem.
ubuntu-xbmc,

Thanks for your interest. I'd do my best to answer your follow-up questions, but the whole issue seems to have become moot now, because there is now (as of about 2 days ago, I think) a first cut release of OpenELEC available for the Odroid-C1. I loaded that up on my C1 yesterday and began testing. There are a few issues with this OE port, but I am happy to say that correct handling of the various keys of my VRC-1100 remote isn't one of them. All the buttons that I care about just seem to work out of the box with this first (unofficial) release of OpenELEC for the C1.
ronbaby,

No problem. Glad to see it worked with OpenELEC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VRC-1100 remote on Ubuntu... no workie0