G-Box MX2 Running Linux
Hello,

I am looking for some advice. As the title says I have a G-Box MX2 running MX Linux, and at the moment I have it running Frodo. I am wanting to install Kodi, but don't have any idea of how to do this, and I am afraid of bricking my box.

I bought this box from Ebay last February, I have tried to contact the supplier to see if you can give me some advice but he is not trading on Ebay anymore.

I have searched the internet and this forum but cannot find anything that I understand, as I am unsure.

I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks for reading
Your box has a g18ref board. Keep an eye on this thread because 'Kodi builds are coming soon' from the main MX Linux developer according to the first post. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2418029

There are also OpenELEC ports (another type of linux port) for your box from Codesnake, although I don't think he's released a Kodi version yet.

[This probably belongs in the Linux forum rather than the hardware one]
Thanks for the reply Bobones.

I will keep a eye on that thread. Is Gotham got a Kodi build for MX Linux?

Thanks
Yes, the first link in that 1st post is the Gotham build for your box:

MX_LINUX_v1.01r2-G18REF_MX2REF-update.zip 103.90 MB
MD5: 873876c1309761acd1771436158ab1ac

The code appears to be complete in Corey's repo for the Helix builds, but it might still be getting tested before he releases any images himself

I've built Helix for my g02ref box from "the-hydra" repo and it works very well on my ATV1200. I've also completed a build from corey's repo for Helix but I haven't installed it yet.
does the gbox run alot better with a linux os, as opposed to the stock android?
(2015-01-28, 05:21)shatheone Wrote: does the gbox run alot better with a linux os, as opposed to the stock android?

Don't know, has I have only had this one Android Box. When I bought it I did speak to someone and they did mention that it would run better if it had Linux OS.

The box has been great. The only thing is that it has Frodo installed, so need to update it.

Also I think I need to do some research about Linux OS, as I don't know much about it.
(2015-01-28, 05:21)shatheone Wrote: does the gbox run alot better with a linux os, as opposed to the stock android?

Yes it does, but it's dedicated to kodi, meaning it's its sole purpose, you can't run anything else on it with linux installed.
But kodi is really much smoother with linux !!
I have managed to upgrade from Frodo to Kodi 14.2 on my MX2 Box. Updated from MX Linux to Ember. My box is running loads faster and smooth.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
G-Box MX2 Running Linux0