Tablet for Kodi
I use kodi on my macbook air and on my apple TV - i go on holiday in a few months and they have free wifi in the apartment.
I don't want to take any expensive gear with me and was considering buying a cheap tablet for emails and kodi

I notice i can get quad core tablets quite cheap that are android plus there are windows based ones.

I cannot find the answer on searching but is there minimum spec recommendations.

Ie: ram, or type of processor etc

Thanks in advance.
Being a Mac guy myself, I never thought I would say this, but take a look at the Windows 8 tablets out there. There's a ton of them that are about $100 and have very good hardware for Kodi usage. They're actual x86 machines, which is a bit more stable for Kodi usage than some of the ARM options out there, and most of them have HDMI ports allowing them to be used as normal HTPCs.
Thanks Ned will look at windows 8 tablets, I presume its a straightforward install of kodi for windows, i.e.; no hacking?
Correct. They run normal Windows 8.1 and not the RT version. They're basically low powered netbooks without keyboards.
Yep - there are quite a few Windows 8.1 with Bing x86 Quadcore tablets based on the Baytrail-T Atom SoCs. These run Windows 8.1 and Kodi runs fine on them, though you may hit thermal issues with higher quality stuff (particularly interlaced or 50/60fps) They handle DD/DTS/PCM 8 channel audio over HDMI. Windows 8.1 with Bing is pretty snappy on them, and the OS is a full implementation (you just get Bing as your pre-installed search engine)

You often also get a year of Office 365 subscription, including a second licence for a Mac or PC, along with free Skype monthly minutes. They can be a very good deal. Couple them with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a cheap laptop. Plug them in to your TV and you can stream Netflix in HD (with DD+ audio), watch stuff in Kodi etc.

There are also very similar boxes without the tablet screen appearing - which are effectively Windows 8.1 with Bing TV boxes. (Pipo X7 for instance, or the Meegopad T01 stick - though not all of these have proper Win 8.1 licences in all versions)
This one works just fine with the latest Kodi but has no HDMI interface, just micro USB.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus...s4qqlfszzk
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
cheers am in the UK you seem to get better deals than us!
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk....308686300
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
If you want a cheap windows tablet in the uk google linx. I bought a linx 8" for £80 from amazon - 32GB storage plus micro sd, windows 8.1 with bing, hdmi out - it's a proper pc. Plus if you have an old tablet you can trade it in for £30 off.
At less than £50 (for me, I've an old advent vega to send off) it was a steal.
That said if I was to take 1 device with me right now it would probably be 3rd in line behind a laptop / android tab.

Edit:
(2015-01-27, 16:27)p750mmx Wrote: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk....308686300
That's a good price - similar specs to the linx 7, maybe marginally more expensive.
The Linx also looks like a good choice for that price and the possibility for the cashback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tablet for Kodi0