Resizing subs (especially VobSub) custom zoom scalability
spiff Wrote:no it's not.

vobsubs are pictures. designed to be put on the video. in a fixed place. with a fixed size.

you don't like how they look / their size? go blame the dvd author.

it's like complaining about how they used a too small font on the end credits

in the past , xbmc can adjust vobsubs size and place.
now cvs cancel this option , can adjust it like past xbmc?
if it was up to me; no.

it makes stuff look like crap.

feel free to change in source though, we are open source after all.
spiff Wrote:if it was up to me; no.

it makes stuff look like crap.

feel free to change in source though, we are open source after all.

thx god and all xbmc developer give us the best gift : XBMC .

in our family , i and my wife use xbmc watch movie , play music , we hope XBMC more and more perfect to all xbmc user.

xbmc is open source , but a lots of xbmc user no ability to modify source to add function as ther want , we only submit bug and suggest , want hero just like you to fix it.

in the past month , i submit a lots bug about chinese utf8 sub bug , the hero bobbin007 fix it , i think all none-english xbmc user will thx bobbin007 and all other xbmc developer .

those days , i found another bug to none-english user , also give sample and debug log and all files to reproduce this bug, to help you or another developer , i spend a lots time to find two 1 minute sample avi and sample srt files to make debug and fix easy.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=21328

in sf.net xbmc bug submit , i always find your name in cvs bug report manage .

thx allxbmc developer give us the best gift : XBMC.
i'll gladly fix bugs. in your post, jmarshall is helping you out, you can't ask for more qualified help.

i won't fix things i believe not to be a bug though. like this.

this was a design issue, and we made up our mind. we don't want it in there as it almost exclusively looks bad, and hence reflects bad on xbmc (not to mention the bug reports we had stating 'zoomed vobsubs look like crap'). it's simply unavoidable as this is blowing up low res stuff.
spiff Wrote:i'll gladly fix bugs. in your post, jmarshall is helping you out, you can't ask for more qualified help.

i won't fix things i believe not to be a bug though. like this.

this was a design issue, and we made up our mind. we don't want it in there as it almost exclusively looks bad, and hence reflects bad on xbmc (not to mention the bug reports we had stating 'zoomed vobsubs look like crap'). it's simply unavoidable as this is blowing up low res stuff.

thx spiff, i agree 'zoomed vobsubs look like crap', some time need adjust size and postion .

in fact, most pc media player just like KMPlayer and Media Player Classic can't adjust size and postion too.

ICE AGE2 KMPlayer Screenshots.
ICE AGE2 Media Player Classic Screenshots.
XBMC is scaling it into your TV frame size (ie calibrated size). This is how it should be.

Was your previous screenshots (from XBMC) done in 480p or in 720p and downscaled?

If it's showing a different size (as a ratio of screensize) in 480p and 720p then I consider that a bug. If it's just scaling to the image size (which is what it should do to remain as the director intended) then it isn't a bug.

Please post the following (all of the same sub please, preferably with the viewmode info on screen):

1. A screenshot running in 480p with no calibration used at all.

2. A screenshot running in 480p with your usual calibration used.

3. A screenshot running in 720p with no calibration used at all.

4. A screenshot running in 720p with your usual calibration used.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think it was a wrong decision to take away the resizing option for vobsubs. The people that complained about the quality of resized vobsubs are not helped by completely removing the option to resize. On the other hand, the people that were satisfied with the option are now missing a very useful option.

I believe that the resizing of vobsubs should be part of the default options, but if that is not an option for the developers, what about making it an option in AdvancedSettings.xml? 100% as the default and let people that really want to change the size, change it to their preference. I know from the past I always used 70-80%. I would change it to 75% and be happy with it.

Making resizing an advanced setting would only reflect positively on XBMC. I can't imagine people nagging about something that is not part of the default options. But even if they do, I would not take it too seriously.

Please take my suggestion into consideration. Cool
I want to rule out bugs to the current method before we consider anything else.

Please post the screenshots I asked for.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

If open source subrip code is reliable enough, why not convert vobsub to srt on the fly?

Of course, this is for english subs only.
hmmm that Subrip suggestion sounds interesting. I must say srt subs look beautiful in 720p!
DeeDub Wrote:hmmm that Subrip suggestion sounds interesting. I must say srt subs look beautiful in 720p!

courtesy of anti-aliased scalable fonts
Resizing vobsubs is necessary; i found this funtion also can enlarge subtitle Mplayer RAW Font , it's soo good thing.

a lots none-english Mplayer RAW Font only have samll size , such as 16,18,24 , not above 24 size . if use as Mplayer RAW Font subtile , 24 size is too small .

i modify XBoxRenderer.cpp so it can enlagre vobsub and Mplyaer RAW Font
Code:
float EnlargeFactor = (float)(g_settings.m_ResInfo[res].iWidth / 720.0f) * 1.35f; //g_guiSettings.GetInt("Subtitles.EnlargePercentage") / 100.0f;

see screenshots

1.0 org , not enlarge use GB2312-Ming 24 Size , too small.

1.30 enlarge

1.38 enlarge,

i use TTF 32 or 34 .

so i think Resizing vobsubs is necessary. xbmc can do it pefect , see my sreenshot font is very very good.
Use ttf font, 24 size

ttf font, 32 size

ttf font, 34 size
(2006-08-28, 20:11)gamepc Wrote: i modify XBoxRenderer.cpp so it can enlagre vobsub and Mplyaer RAW Font
Code:
float EnlargeFactor = (float)(g_settings.m_ResInfo[res].iWidth / 720.0f) * 1.35f; //g_guiSettings.GetInt("Subtitles.EnlargePercentage") / 100.0f;

Hi!

Sorry for kicking up this ancient thread.

Does someone know where to put this line exactly in the code?
My Vobsubs are too big, and I would like to shrink them a bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resizing subs (especially VobSub) custom zoom scalability0