YouTube different Addons
Hi, I have an addon by the TheCollective v4.410 on my laptop, but bromix v5.0.4 on my htpc.

Can you tell me where TheCollective one comes from? I prefer the interface but can't find it on the htpc to download.

Also, is there any reason why I should use one rather than the other?
I am using v4.4.1 currently. I like the interface as well, along with the download ability via context menu. I run Helix with autoupdate off so I don't get updated to v5.x. There are issues with v4.4.1 not playing Vevo videos, but that is easily fixed by editing the yt-player.py file. (2 edits have been required in the past 6 months or so). Make sure you uninstall v5 and then delete all youtube files/folders/packages if you downgrade, or v4.4.1 will not work correctly when reinstalling a lower version. You may have to delete a dependency of v5.x as well. If you have the youtube version you want on your htpc, just go to \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kodi (xbmc)\addons\packages. You should find the youtube.zip file there.
Thanks for clearing that up - I thought it was a different Addon because the names were different (TheCollective vs bromix).

Obviously the addon hasn't updated on my laptop. I didn't set this deliberately but would like to leave it that way. Where do you go to disable this addon from being updated? Sorry for the dumb question but I can't see it in the addon settings.

(I've tried as one post suggests to go to Settings / Add-ons then right or left arrow, but that doesn't do anything. Also assume that would affect all the add-ons?)
The ability to turn off automatic addon updates in only available in Helix . In Helix, go to settings, addons and then depending on the skin you are using, left arrow in confluence or down arrow to configure in AeonMQ5. Just to be clear, there are differences in the addons you ask about. They both connect to and run youtube. How they do that is different. As you mentioned, the GUI is also quite different, as well as the settings options. It's a matter a preference of which one you choose. Keep in mind that some addons are not supported any longer. If changes are needed, you are on your own for fixes. This may be why the collective version did not update, there is no update.
I don't want to convince somebody here, but I'm just curious Smile - what is (besides the download functionality) missing or not okay with the addon? Maybe I can do something about that - if it's not too drastic, makes sense and don't breaks usability Big Grin

FYI:
Have you migrated to Data API v3 yet?
Which means, maybe (and I hope not) APIv2, on which the other addon is based on, will probably shutdown this year. Some parts are already discontinued and not working anymore.
Hi bromix, first just to say it is amazing and appreciate the work that's gone into it, and understand that it had to change. Just some comments (as you asked!)

1. Having got used to the older version, I liked having Favourites on the main menu as I use it a lot (seems to be under subscriptions now, so not a massive deal).

2. I also liked the "Change Plugin Settings" on the main menu (but only because I use the Android remote to control it, and there's no "C" button which means I have to plug in a keyboard and press "C" - I have to do that anyway for most of the other Add-ons - it was just a nice change that it wasn't needed for this one)

3. The options "Subscriptions" vs "My Subscriptions" is a little confusing. (v5 "Subscriptions" is the same as v4 "My Subscriptions" which didn't have a separate "Subscriptions")

4. This has probably been discussed somewhere else but I haven't investigated it yet, but the menus keep defaulting back to list view in the new version.

Thanks for the warning about APIv3
(2015-01-30, 14:03)rustyfrog666 Wrote: 2. I also liked the "Change Plugin Settings" on the main menu (but only because I use the Android remote to control it, and there's no "C" button which means I have to plug in a keyboard and press "C" - I have to do that anyway for most of the other Add-ons - it was just a nice change that it wasn't needed for this one)

android remote has the "C" button on it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-01-30, 14:03)rustyfrog666 Wrote: Hi bromix, first just to say it is amazing and appreciate the work that's gone into it, and understand that it had to change. Just some comments (as you asked!)

1. Having got used to the older version, I liked having Favourites on the main menu as I use it a lot (seems to be under subscriptions now, so not a massive deal).

2. I also liked the "Change Plugin Settings" on the main menu (but only because I use the Android remote to control it, and there's no "C" button which means I have to plug in a keyboard and press "C" - I have to do that anyway for most of the other Add-ons - it was just a nice change that it wasn't needed for this one)

3. The options "Subscriptions" vs "My Subscriptions" is a little confusing. (v5 "Subscriptions" is the same as v4 "My Subscriptions" which didn't have a separate "Subscriptions")

4. This has probably been discussed somewhere else but I haven't investigated it yet, but the menus keep defaulting back to list view in the new version.

Thanks for the warning about APIv3

1.) This is a playlist (starting with APIv3) this will be found under "Playlists"

2.) See answer of Martijn

3.) It's exactly the same on YouTube.com Wink (on the left side) - I just replicated the menu structure.

4.) Disable "Override view" under settings.

I hope I could help and thanks for your feedback Smile
Many thanks - sorry for the belated response!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube different Addons0