Movie Trailer Collection
I recently had to rebuild my library media library after a data loss. This lead me to make a number of changes to how I manage things, including new standards for the "required" items in my movie library. I am now keeping a local file of a trailer for every movie in my collection. This has proven to be something of a challenge at times, and lead me to wonder why there isn't a better singular resource for trailers online somewhere. HD-trailers.net is a fantastic site, but has a somewhat limited selection for pretty much any film from before like 2007 (with exceptions of course). I've been uploading any "rare" trailers I encounter on my DVD and Blu Ray re-ripping adventues to YouTube, but honestly I feel like YouTube is a somewhat limited resource for this particular issue.

There are a fair number of good trailers on YouTube, but there are also a lot of fake posts, where they do things like grab the only trailer for a movie that's already on YouTube (even if its only 240P), then badly upscale it to like 720P and re-post it with a title like "<movie name> Official Trailer HD". So frustrating to have to weed out such crap.

Anyways, I've grabbed 141 trailers so far, was thinking about maybe posting them somewhere like MediaFire and then linking them a basic webpage or indexing site. I'm pretty sure my webhost includes SQL functionality, so I believe I can build a simple site using PHP & MySQL. I just didn't want to do this if someone else already has something similar. Also, I can't afford to host the actual trailers themselves and would prefer to just link to externally hosted files to skirt liability issues (I am in the USA and subject to the DMCA). It seems like trailers are generally considered to be freely redistributable promotional materials, produced to generate interest in a film. By virtue of what they are, it doesn't really make sense to try and prevent access to them, but at the same time, they're still technically protected intellectual property and I don't want to run any risks.

Any other crazy weirdos out there doing rips of trailers?
Catchy Signature Here
Have you thought of uploading them to youtube and add them to themoviedb.org? themoviedb.org provides an api to get info from their database. A simple app can then be written to get that info.
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
I have been posting my rips of trailers that I couldn't find anywhere online to YouTube.
I didn't know you could link those to TheMovieDB, that's cool.
I would like to have a place to post high quality, downloadable trailers. Youtube re-encodes videos you post to it, and isn't as easy to download from as I would like.
I've got a bunch of projects I'm working on at present, but I've already got a preliminary database layout in mind and a basic plan on how this will work. I've had a web host for years, may as well use it for something Tongue
Catchy Signature Here
Well, check out this screen:

There are a lot of trailer sites, none who have a decent api. I was playing with the thought as well. However, you need other people to add content. Doing this yourself is almost a day job. That's why I referred to themoviedb.org. Lot's of people add/change content. The api is already there. Things that are missing are popular trailers, etc.
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
Trailers for movies was scrapping using media manager but as of late the trailers have stopped downloading. I will have to say that using a skin such as Xperience means that trailers are worth while, however most skins need you to press on view trailer which to me is a waste of time, I really want automatic play of trailers when you go to the info. I am doing a scan of how many trailers I have on one hard drive and how much hard drive space that they take up ok that has finished 1,164 trailers and that is 17.9 GIGS once I run out of space that 17 gigs equates to 20 odd new movies, so a lot of space wasted by having something that you do not really need. I have done a search on the same hard drive for 3D movies and that is 81.2 gigs I have never sat down and watched a 3D movie so that 81 gigs equates to another 120 odd movies? In all I can fit another 140 movies onto a hard drive reducing the rubbish.

Yes trailers look good if you have them play automatically using Xperience but they are pretty useless with other skins.
@Bridgwater, thanks for that "constructive" contribution to this discussion. Good to know that you have a lot of 3D movies that you don't watch, and that you somehow find an ~850 MB movie files to be acceptable. My small screen is 85", so I generally store everything in 1080P and my encodes are usually 6 to 12 GB each. Because you can now buy 5TB harddisks for $130 USD a piece, I don't find this to be too much trouble. I like the idea of auto-starting the trailers in the Info screen, and will add it to my "To Do" list for media related projects, shouldn't be too hard to modify existing skins to do this.
Catchy Signature Here
@SleepyP I was going to write a long winded reply especially about P and RICK I have started a reply a few times but I go to long winded when really it just needs P RICK. 1) Hard drive space to most if not all is an issue 2) file size Is an issue 3) hard drive space/computers/nas is an issue. As soon as I join your NSA or the FBI or the CIA then I might have enough hard drive space to store all the films in the World although I doubt that but hey I might hope.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Trailer Collection0