Enabling HDMI audio with composite video
My brother's still running an old composite input TV but I bought him an HDMI switch which has an analog audio output as well as he was finding the RPi's audio unsatisfactory.

I tested the switch with my own PI, which is connected to my HDMI TV and it worked fine but we're having trouble getting it working on his. I obviously checked he had the audio output set to HDMI and enabled dual-audio mode and he gets sound from the built-in output but nothing from the switch.

Naturally, as he's using composite video, his config.txt has

Code:
sdtv_mode=0

sdtv_aspect=3

# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#hdmi_group=2
#hdmi_mode=85

# hdmi_mode=16 for 1080p@60hz, mode=4 is 720p@60hz

and his cmdline.txt is

Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet iotimeout=5000

I tried uncommenting hdmi_force_hotplug=1 but that just forced the video to HDMI as well, so he had no picture on his TV!

So, does anyone know how I can enable HDMI audio whilst still using composite video?

EDIT: One other thing. My brother told me his RPi started rebooting at random times after I enabled HDMI audio and dual audio output. Does enabling either of these make OpenElec (Gotham testbuild) more unstable and will I need to reduce his overclock to compensate?
(2015-01-29, 19:06)doveman2 Wrote: So, does anyone know how I can enable HDMI audio whilst still using composite video?

You can't. HDMI audio is transmitted during the blanking periods of the HDMI video.
The Pi can't drive both HDMI and composite at the same time.
(2015-01-29, 20:07)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 19:06)doveman2 Wrote: So, does anyone know how I can enable HDMI audio whilst still using composite video?

You can't. HDMI audio is transmitted during the blanking periods of the HDMI video.
The Pi can't drive both HDMI and composite at the same time.

Oh bugger, my brother will be disappointed Sad

Never mind, maybe I can give it to my Dad, he's got an optical DAC connected to his TV which doesn't work for all audio formats, so the switch might work better.

I was going to get a HiFiBerry but it wouldn't have got here in time for Christmas and even if it had, I wasn't sure it would fit in the case I made for my brother's RPi and I didn't fancy spending Christmas soldering it up and testing it, so when I found this HDMI switch I thought I was sorted! Oh well, maybe if my brother comes down in the Summer he can bring his RPi and I look at the HiFiBerry again.
Before I waste any more money on a HifiBerry DAC, is there anything I need to be aware of when using it with Gotham, on either a B or B+ and using composite video?

I'm aware that it only works properly with DVDplayer but apart from that?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Enabling HDMI audio with composite video0