Does this setup sound workable?
I'm trying to reconfigure my whole media situation at home and currently have my eye on the following:

--headless NAS (FreeNAS or Windows) to just sit somewhere, running sickbeard, couchpotato, etc)

--somewhat powerful HTPC w/ graphics card and TV tuner on my main TV, Windows-based, to do Steam In-Home Streaming from my main PC and XBMC. XBMC media will be coming from my NAS and from the TV tuner w/ CableCARD). I'd also like for the HTPC to be able to PVR shows, but record them to the NAS. Is that even possible? Or do I need cable connected directly to the NAS?

--i5 NUC that I already have as a lightweight XBMC box elsewhere.

Also, I used to have to constantly run XBMC on some machine or another in order to keep xbmc.mylibrary updated so that I could access Netflix, Hulu, etc. through playon. Is that still the case? Or does PseudoLibrary somehow address this issue?

Thanks so much for your help and sage advice!
(2015-01-29, 23:07)ratzofftoya Wrote: --i5 NUC that I already have as a lightweight XBMC box elsewhere.

Thats' like asking "I want a small auto to do local tasks, is a nitro supercharged 6 liter V12 a sufficient engine"

Big Grin
(2015-01-29, 23:56)smitopher Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 23:07)ratzofftoya Wrote: --i5 NUC that I already have as a lightweight XBMC box elsewhere.

Thats' like asking "I want a small auto to do local tasks, is a nitro supercharged 6 liter V12 a sufficient engine"

Big Grin

Hah, I already had one lying around! I know the NUC can handle the XBMC client box job, I was more wondering about the other two components.
The NAS is easy, FreeNAS or Unraid. Either works fine.

For the main TV if you run a PVR backend on it no reason it can't save the shows to your NAS. Cablecard means a Windows Media Center backend.

And as you know the i5 can handle XBMC. The only thing to decide is what OS for the NAS and which system is running MySQL (preferably one with 4GB+ of RAM in my experience).

(2015-01-30, 00:33)poofyhairguy Wrote: The NAS is easy, FreeNAS or Unraid. Either works fine.

For the main TV if you run a PVR backend on it no reason it can't save the shows to your NAS. Cablecard means a Windows Media Center backend.

And as you know the i5 can handle XBMC. The only thing to decide is what OS for the NAS and which system is running MySQL (preferably one with 4GB+ of RAM in my experience).

Do you mention the MySQL for xbmc.mylibrary, or for the main SQL media library? If I want to run it on the NASbox, how does that guide my OS choice? I had a tough time setting it up back when I had a Linux box. Should I just go with windows? Or can FreeNAS do it?
Windows is not a server os. Use linux.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Or FreeNAS. FreeNAS is fine.

I mean I have run the MySQL part in Windows but I don't see a reason to.

(2015-01-31, 00:39)poofyhairguy Wrote: Or FreeNAS. FreeNAS is fine.

Quite
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-01-31, 00:43)nickr Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 00:39)poofyhairguy Wrote: Or FreeNAS. FreeNAS is fine.

Quite

Will FreeNAS be able to do everything I require?

1.)Storage, duh. Automatic backup and remote access are bonuses.
2.)Serving media to XBMC machines, likely only one at a time.
3.)Automatic Usenet downloading through SAB/Sickbeard/Couchpotato, etc.
4.)Using my other computers to select items on torrent trackers, then have those items downloaded to the server and, if possible, sorted/renamed
5.)Store TV shows that I select for recording with my PVR via Myth or whatever on my HTPC 5.)VPN server? Not sure how difficult/helpful/necessary this is.

Anything I'm not thinking of? Is all of this possible on FreeNAS?
Sure. FreeNAS is just FreeBSD. It has plugins for all that downloading stuff.

(2015-02-02, 23:31)poofyhairguy Wrote: Sure. FreeNAS is just FreeBSD. It has plugins for all that downloading stuff.

Would I be able to set up a VPN server on there, too? Sorry, not familiar with FreeBSD, either, so I'm too dumb to understand the comparison.
A VPN server on a FreeNAS box? Sure:

https://thealarmclocksixam.wordpress.com...enas-jail/

(2015-02-03, 00:27)poofyhairguy Wrote: A VPN server on a FreeNAS box? Sure:

https://thealarmclocksixam.wordpress.com...enas-jail/

Have you heard of OpenMediaVault? I've heard that mentioned a couple times and it seems pretty simple yet robust.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does this setup sound workable?0