Linux Kodi (mostly often) crashes at startup
Hello,

I'm trying to use Kodi on my up to date Archlinux machine using KDE 4.14.4

Code:
tommi in ~ λ uname -a
Linux archy 3.18.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 27 20:45:02 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Asrock Z77 Pro3 - Intel i5 3570 - Nvidia GT560Ti

As the title says, Kodi crashes to desktop almost every time I try to start it. Once in a while, after several attempts, it works. At that time, it may crash after clicking on a Main Menu voice, or it may keep working for hours.
I must specify that it's a brand new system, and I've been affected by this behaviour since the beginning.

Version of Kodi is the one in the Arch Repository; System info shows it as Kodi 14.0 Git:Unknown (Compiled Jan 1 2015)

It every time creates a crash log in my ~/
Here's the latest, after installing gdb for strace purpose:

http://paste.debian.net/143050/

Thanks in advance.
Disable joystick, by editing guisettings.xml in ~/.kodi/userdata

make also sure to set default="false" in that line.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Code:
<enablejoystick default="false">false</enablejoystick>
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Great! You got the point at first shot.

Now to the worst part. Even though I edit guisettings.xml with false, when I exec kodi it crashes, and if I check back that config file, enablejoystick is back to true.

Unplugging the controller is actually a good workaround, and it makes Kodi work as it should, though I'm curious about why it switches back to the original state, and if I can handle some other config file to disable it properly.
Is it relevant to the case that I sometimes run "kodi -p" to load the portable settings dir, to have 2 different configurations with no big headache?

Thanks again!
don't edit while running it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
My bad. Was only modifying the true between brackets, and not the one "inside" after "default=".

FYI I tried keeping joypad attached, and start Kodi while running "xboxdrv". And it works.
So it's the original PS3 driver that isn't well digested by Kodi.

Thanks a thousand anyway for the swift response.
Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi (mostly often) crashes at startup0